One luxury player gone, only three more to consider?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Perhaps a controversial statement but even the most optimistic fan might just have to accept the unpalatable truth.

Noone - Great bit of business since despite the occasional bit of jinking dribbling he was never consistent enough with few goals and a suspect final ball.

Kazenga Lua Lua - Yes we love his electric pace over the first 10 yards but the issues are the inconsistency of the final ball (don't forget Barnsley were very poor!), running up blind alleys and losing posession, and the fragility of the ankle and the hamstring. In addition, better Championship defenders and certainly those in the Premiership won't be beaten on the outside just by pure pace so easily.

Buckley - Easily our quickest player over 20 yards and can certainly finish but even before joining us the signs were there that he is just too injury prone particularly the hamstring.

Vicente - We love him and undoubted class who on occasions looks a class apart and can turn a game with a moment of magic. However, a definite physical and possibly mental fragility will forever limit his apperances and the impact he can have over a full season.

Don't don't get me wrong i get a real buzz whenever Buckley, Kazenga or Vicente pull on the stripes but they are all luxury impact players who will rarely pull off a consistent quality 90 mins and i think its that consistency factor which is the distinction between Premiership and Championship players.

I am not for one minute suggesting we ship them out pronto and its arguable that there is always room for impact subs. However, never mind all the focus on finding a strike partner for CMS, don't we also need a flair winger with consistent delivery, an eye for goal, an ability to track back and perform the bread and butter of defending and crucially someone who can play 90 mins for at least 80% of our actual games. At present, its just too much praying that our 3 amigos are going to be fit.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Are you mad, KLL will shine now, his final ball is brilliant. By far the better winger we have, just give him some game time gus. Im sure now he's aware of this, wouldnt let noone go otherwise

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Are you mad, KLL will shine now, his final ball is brilliant. By far the better winger we have, just give him some game time gus. Im sure now he's aware of this, wouldnt let noone go otherwise

KLL if he can stay fit will tear loads of defenses apart we need a fox in the box to finish it off!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Dont really disagree with any of that. If we get what is reported for Noone then great business but is he really worth that?.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Just hearing about CMS going to norwich on ssn, now that would be a f*** up, whos coming in if hes going? 1 day left

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Perhaps a controversial statement but even the most optimistic fan might just have to accept the unpalatable truth.

Noone - Great bit of business since despite the occasional bit of jinking dribbling he was never consistent enough with few goals and a suspect final ball.

Kazenga Lua Lua - Yes we love his electric pace over the first 10 yards but the issues are the inconsistency of the final ball (don't forget Barnsley were very poor!), running up blind alleys and losing posession, and the fragility of the ankle and the hamstring. In addition, better Championship defenders and certainly those in the Premiership won't be beaten on the outside just by pure pace so easily.

Buckley - Easily our quickest player over 20 yards and can certainly finish but even before joining us the signs were there that he is just too injury prone particularly the hamstring.

Vicente - We love him and undoubted class who on occasions looks a class apart and can turn a game with a moment of magic. However, a definite physical and possibly mental fragility will forever limit his apperances and the impact he can have over a full season.

Don't don't get me wrong i get a real buzz whenever Buckley, Kazenga or Vicente pull on the stripes but they are all luxury impact players who will rarely pull off a consistent quality 90 mins and i think its that consistency factor which is the distinction between Premiership and Championship players.

I am not for one minute suggesting we ship them out pronto and its arguable that there is always room for impact subs. However, never mind all the focus on finding a strike partner for CMS, don't we also need a flair winger with consistent delivery, an eye for goal, an ability to track back and perform the bread and butter of defending and crucially someone who can play 90 mins for at least 80% of our actual games. At present, its just too much praying that our 3 amigos are going to be fit.

Interesting argument, and I can see your point, but I bet you'll still get slated for it.

My view is that they all have a role to play, and can all make a difference – someone could probably tell me how many assists/goals they accumulated between them last season, but I would imagine the stats would be quite impressive. Replace them with one player, and say he gets injured, or suffers a dip in form, and what do you do then?

It's a squad game - look at how long Solskjaer(sp?) and Kuyt stayed at Man U and Liverpool respectively, without being ever-presents...

Also, I'm sure you could find parallel examples of Kaz, Buckley and Vicente at PL level, who all play an important impact, but essential, role.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Harley could come good yet, he has a bit of quality about him. Not had much of a chance yet has he.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It's also worth noting that with two attacking full backs who are class on the ball, we have plenty of options on getting crosses in from wide areas. The kind of winger the OP is describing is rarely found outside the Premiership ...

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Vicente, KLL and Buckley are top quality players, if that counts as 'luxury' then youre right. But these are the players we need in attacking situations, they are FLAIR with a capital F L A I R

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Agree and feel 20 games a season would be a bonus from these 3,we need 90 min players throughout the season to achieve our goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
an eye for goal, an ability to track back and perform the bread and butter of defending and crucially someone who can play 90 mins for at least 80% of our actual games.

Sounds EXACTLY like Ashley Barnes. We've also now got Orlandi.

Keenbha

Feb 6, 2012
Goring By Sea
KLL showed his quality against Liverpool last season!! Could give any defender a hard time! Likewise Buckley showed how good he is against someone like Ashley Cole last month!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If we sold Buckley I would be depressed.

Him and Vicente are the players that make my heart beat faster when I see their name on the team sheet.

And not in a gay way either!

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
GP said Kazenga really impressed in training after the Noone story broke. I really like the bloke, great footballer and great potential. Hopefully he gets game time and proves himself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports