cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
get in there fred fearless that man
and the 7-0 against Walsall is etched in my memory till I die

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Alan Duffy cracker v Bradford City, big Alex Dawson scored the other and me in front row with rattle and delightful bobble hat knitted by my Nan.
Posted last year but thought I would repeat and reflect on days gone by.
Proper goal nets too.

Attachments

• img660.jpg
    img660.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 37

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I had loads of scrapbooks from that era, God I wish I'd kept them. Young uns will be surprised to hear that the York game was one of the 2 games on MOTD that night, & we were 3rd division! I was there on the pitch at the end with my parka on, waving at the cameras. It was the done & accepted thing by kids all over the country when the cameras came to town.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Alan Duffy cracker v Bradford City, big Alex Dawson scored the other and me in front row with rattle and delightful bobble hat knitted by my Nan.
Posted last year but thought I would repeat and reflect on days gone by.
Proper goal nets too.

Rocker, what year was that? My first game was against Bradford in 70-71 season. I was sure it was 0-0, but I remember Alan Duffy coming on as sub; you can't really forget him!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Talking of headbands - anyone else remember the FA Cup semi-final in 1978 between Ipswich and West Brom (?) and there was a massive clash of heads. 1 player went off in a bad way and the other player stayed on with a head bandage and by the end of the match was absolutely covered in blood. Am I imagining watching that on MOTD way back when I was v little?

edit - apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Although we scored 7 in both matches ( York + Walsall ) the latter game stands head and shoulders above the former in Albion history. I still say that it is the most brilliant passage of football I have seen in 47 years of support.
It was a horrible night, raining steadily and a friend of mine upped sticks and went home at half-time, declaring..." this is terrible, I'm soaked to the skin and we always lose to bloody Walsall "
He'd only been gone about a minute when the Albion players started trooping back onto the pitch.Apparently, Mullery gave them the rocket of all rockets in the dressing room and made them go out in the pouring rain 6-7 minutes before Walsall. The crowd started laughing and the mixture of this and the embarrasment/humiliation of standing in the rain had thje desired effect.
They literally blew Walsall away. It was staggering. Ward and Mellor 7 goals between them in 28 minutes! Two good players on fire, angry and hungry. Everything they touched went in. It could have been 10 or 11. Horton behind them, driving them on like a man possessed.
Mullery was a brilliant half-time manager and he took a huge gamble humiliating pro-footballers. It couldn't have worked better.
We didn't score in the last 17 minutes of the second half, which made what had gone before even more remarkable. It was like warriors in battle, who had seen enough blood and killing and put their swords away for another occasion.
For an ' old-un ' like me, nothing yet has beaten those 28 minutes. Charlton at home..7-0 ( 5-0 at half-time and Case completing his hattrick in the 2nd half ) comes close but Walsall has that special place in my heart.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I wish people would stop putting threads on here "for the old 'uns" where I can remember all the players and games.

It makes me feel so bloody old!

Just stop it, please.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Talking of headbands - anyone else remember the FA Cup semi-final in 1978 between Ipswich and West Brom (?) and there was a massive clash of heads. 1 player went off in a bad way and the other player stayed on with a head bandage and by the end of the match was absolutely covered in blood. Am I imagining watching that on MOTD way back when I was v little?

edit - apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

John Wile ( WBA centre half ) was definitely one of them...got a feeling that it was one of Butcher/Mariner/Wark for Ipswich....any offers?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
John Wile ( WBA centre half ) was definitely one of them...got a feeling that it was one of Butcher/Mariner/Wark for Ipswich....any offers?

Butcher was way too young surely! Wile definitely rings a bell, thanks for that. It maybe that time plays tricks on the mind but I remember it was dangerously cut and all they did was wrap it in bandages and give him the magic sponge. How times change.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

It was Brian Talbot with a near post header who clashed heads with Wile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here