Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One club, no ambition.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Selling our best players, replacing them with players who have just been relegated, keeping the deadwood at the club, playing the hard game to try buy players until the point they move else where, I see no ambition here and TB's 5 year plan to get us in the prem should be more like a 5 year plan to stay in the championship.

This argument keeps cropping up and I haven't got the foggiest why it matters - does it mean they're shit? Hughes and Stockdale were relegated from the Prem, does it mean they're bad players? If they're good enough, then I couldn't give a shit if they came from Real Madrid or Rochdale.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
This argument keeps cropping up and I haven't got the foggiest why it matters - does it mean they're shit? Hughes and Stockdale were relegated from the Prem, does it mean they're bad players? If they're good enough, then I couldn't give a shit if they came from Real Madrid or Rochdale.

Well if a championship club gets relegated it tends to mean their plays are shit or they would of stayed up, stockdale good signing obviously, but Hughes didn't exactly set qpr alight ayy.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
One poster, no nappies.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Where did this penny-pinching come from ? Our wage bill last year was one of the higher ones in the league. But we still struggle to compete.

How did you workout we had one of the highest wage bills ? Where are your figures to back that statement up ?

How did you workout we had one of the highest wage bills ? Where are your figures to back that statement up ?

Using a topical comparison and based on both club's most recent published accounts - ie for 2012/13 (GP's final season):

Turnover (income) - BHA £23.39m; Burnley £15.30m
Total wage bill - BHA £21.06m; Burnley £15.37m
Annual loss - BHA £14.76m; Burnley £7.80m
Accumulated debt - BHA £52.21m; Burnley £15.42m

As a footnote, the BHA figures don't include anything related to the stadium or training ground builds.

Feb 14, 2010
Using a topical comparison and based on both club's most recent published accounts - ie for 2012/13 (GP's final season):

Turnover (income) - BHA £23.39m; Burnley £15.30m
Total wage bill - BHA £21.06m; Burnley £15.37m
Annual loss - BHA £14.76m; Burnley £7.80m
Accumulated debt - BHA £52.21m; Burnley £15.42m

As a footnote, the BHA figures don't include anything related to the stadium or training ground builds.

Very interesting. In particular our squad of players cost £5 Million more than Burnley's. Burnley's squad succeeded in winning promotion and our squad failed to win promotion. Facts are facts, its the players who failed, not the fans who turned up with the highest gates in the division by a country mile, or the board who provided the funds for a squad costing £5 Million more than Burnley's. So Buckley, Ulloa, Bridcutt, well all this wailing and gnashing of teeth, but they were so good for us that they won us promotion.. except they didnt.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Very interesting. In particular our squad of players cost £5 Million more than Burnley's. Burnley's squad succeeded in winning promotion and our squad failed to win promotion. Facts are facts, its the players who failed, not the fans who turned up with the highest gates in the division by a country mile, or the board who provided the funds for a squad costing £5 Million more than Burnley's. So Buckley, Ulloa, Bridcutt, well all this wailing and gnashing of teeth, but they were so good for us that they won us promotion.. except they didnt.

Err..........you are a year out of date. The figures quoted are for 2012/13, and Burnley were promoted in 2013/14.

Perhaps a better parallel would be with Palace, their wage bill in 2012/13 was £18.8 million, compared to ours of £21.1 million. Yet they were promoted after our players, a bit like you, failed to turn up at the Amex.

Feb 14, 2010
Err..........you are a year out of date. The figures quoted are for 2012/13, and Burnley were promoted in 2013/14.

Perhaps a better parallel would be with Palace, their wage bill in 2012/13 was £18.8 million, compared to ours of £21.1 million. Yet they were promoted after our players, a bit like you, failed to turn up at the Amex.

You are right, for reasons that are not for you, I dont turn up at the Amex much and not at all last season. I might watch a few away games near where I live this season tho'. I did turn up at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and around 70/80 other league ground up and down the country in my time tho. My forebears have followed the club since (as far as I am aware but it could be longer) the war. So excuse me for taking an interest. What is your Albion heritage El P?

Feb 14, 2010
most of us would be ok with that , but will Tony be able to afford to run the club and its facilities with the reduced income when it happens

I think it might be the reverse. The 50's and 60's show the Albion can get the 25000/30000 gates when playing in the 3rd division and the expenditure of a football club is the players. 3rd div players cost allot less. That was always the suspicion of Albion fans of a certain vintage of why the club would always knock around the 3rd division. Personally I'd like us to get back to the top flight and actually realise the clubs potential for the first time in the clubs history since Charlie Webb. But also I really wouldn't mind being in the third division again. It would be great fun.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here