Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] One billion

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When I were a lad still at school - i.e. through the sixties - a billion was indeed a million million. Don't know when it changed, or whether it just happened over time that we moved in to the Americanism.....
*Ahem*, post #10. I did the research, all you had to do was read it! Even in the 1960s we'd been slipping towards the American usage and it was getting confusing. In 1974 Wilson confirmed that, as far as government statistics were concerned, we would be using the America measurement from now on.Took a while to filter through all of society, but as the posts of the younger generation have confirmed - filter through it did.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sounds a bit like the American who bought London Bridge who allegedly thought he was buying Tower Bridge........ two peoples divided by a common language.

That's actually a nonsense story. The guy knew exactly what he was buying. I've been to the town in Arizona where the old London Bridge is now standing, it's quite a strange sight.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As long as I can remember, the generally accepted definition of a billion has been 1,000 million. However, I'm fairly sure the original British definition of a billion was a million million. Does anybody ever still use that definition? Did anyone here use it in the past?

It seems a pretty pointlessly high number to me.

That's actually a nonsense story. The guy knew exactly what he was buying. I've been to the town in Arizona where the old London Bridge is now standing, it's quite a strange sight.

I did say allegedly...... I always took it with a pinch of salt.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
American PINTS can f*** off too. I always feel cheated when they give me 473ml instead of 568ml.

Whilst we're on the subject, selling liquids in WEIGHT. Ridiculous concept. I'll have 14oz of coffee, and can I have litre of cake too please?
I didn't know that American pints were smaller. How the hell does that work? More pints to the gallon or is a gallon smaller too?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I didn't know that American pints were smaller. How the hell does that work? More pints to the gallon or is a gallon smaller too?

Yep!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here