Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On This Day 1997 - Goldstone (Warning: contains disturbing images)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was driving past as they were destroying the North Stand and a big lump of concrete came bouncing down, under the fence and onto the pavement. It now forms part of my rockery.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Have to agree with DIFFBROOK that it was a sorry dilapidated wreck of a ground when we left, but it was where I fell in love with watching the Albion and still have great memories. It wasn't the fact that the Goldstone went but that the destruction of it represented those f*****s trying to destroy us and they should be harassed for the rest of their lives for that.

But with TB and the Amex i have never felt more positive of our future in 48 years.

Without wishing to sound rude, I thought you were an Orient fan, not Brighton?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
That's the first time I've seen any demolition photos - very poignant as I can see the space in the North Stand (1/3 of the way down the north east side just to the left of the goal) where me and my mates stood in various states of euphoria, despair and inebriation from the seventies right the way through until the final Doncaster game. After the mendacious filth who tried to kill the club had finished with us I really did think we'd fizzle into nothing within a couple of years - I f**king love everybody who stuck with it and still pinch myself several times a season now that things have been turned around better than most people could have dreamed of.

My post of the year!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Without wishing to sound rude, I thought you were an Orient fan, not Brighton?

You are thinking of Watford O, who got banned and became ILIKECANDLES. My user name was WATFORD 0 as a piss take of him. Caused some confusion at the time 11 years ago mainly to him as he thought he'd been hacked. I've been an Albion fan since 65.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I remember a few of us from school going down after an exam revision session and having a kickabout on the pitch just before the bulldozers started work.

I scored the last goal at the North end (jumpers for goalposts).

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
A sad, sad day indeed. At midday I said goodbye to my freedom at Hove Town Hall.
Where I married my lovely wife. (she just walked in)

Bitter sweet memories.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
You are thinking of Watford O, who got banned and became ILIKECANDLES. My user name was WATFORD 0 as a piss take of him. Caused some confusion at the time 11 years ago mainly to him as he thought he'd been hacked. I've been an Albion fan since 65.

Appologies my mistake,

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
About ten years ago we had to collect a TV for another family member from Comet (unsure?) and they said the delivery had gone to the Goldstone so we had to collect if from there. So my Dad driving, parked up on the side of the road without driving in and made the staff wheel out the TV to him. Think I remember the man who worked there saying it wasn't that uncommon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here