[Albion] On This Day - 1979, The Albion v Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Still remember it very clearly, arrived full of hope and left deflated. We had most of the ball and Arsenal contained us and hit us on the break at will, they didn’t even get out of second gear :down:

Not sure we even managed a full house either, or maybe that was a VAT scam

I think the gate was affected by the dire warnings in the press about the imminent arrival of all those nasty London hooligans. Different times.

boik

We were in the North Stand and took our Arsenal born and bred mate with us. As it turned out he was by far not the only Arsenal fan in the north!

Must admit, I too found the "Threegoals" chant pretty amusing. I was terrified for our chances in the league after that, but luckily not every team was a clinical as Arsenal were that day.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I like it…..if those are genuine signatures not printed ones

No just a print

0F32E6D9-4556-4B1D-8F57-89AE38B48040.jpeg

Sideways again. I know it’s the exif data but forgot how to do it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Still remember it very clearly, arrived full of hope and left deflated. We had most of the ball and Arsenal contained us and hit us on the break at will, they didn’t even get out of second gear :down:

Not sure we even managed a full house either, or maybe that was a VAT scam

Definitely not a full house ..not even a full north stand going by memory

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Remember it very well. As well as other memories mentioned:

The loud chorus of 'I don't like Arsenal' instead of 'Mondays' before the match.

A fan next to me saying 'Oh, well. That was nice' or words to the effect, accepting on Day 1 that we would have just that one season in what was the First Division. I think we all felt that during and after being outclassed.

Jul 7, 2003
Always gutted that I missed this as my parents booked a holiday in Devon. We were on the train back to Sussex listening into a very patch BBC national radio commentary of the game.

To make up for it, my Dad bought the first day cover (look it up kids) as a souvenir but no idea what happened to that

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was ten and we arrived back from holiday in WSM that afternoon. We got in the taxi at Brighton station and I asked the score. 'They're 2-0 down already' gruffed the driver. I always remember that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was there. All I really remember were the rows and rows of DMs outside the North Stand and the lady standing next to me throwing aniseed balls at Sammy Nelson every time he ran past.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
John Gregory debut and clearly not yet on the same wave length as the rest of the team, as passing into space (or if you were one of the many moaners, giving the ball away).

And the start of a sequence against Arsenal in the league that showed how we improved, 0-4, 0-3, 0-2, 0-1, 0-0 before we actually won a couple of home games against them.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Couldn't make it - because I was at Wembley Stadium to see The Stranglers supporting The Who (AC/DC on the bill to).

Was desperate to know the score, but this was a lifetime before Smartphones. Then, a few songs into their set, Stranglers guitarist and dead-pan main singer, Hugh Cornwell asks: "Any Brighton fans here?". A few of us enthusiastically responded in the affirmative, to which he sneered: "You lost 4-0".

Yup, I was there too. Disliked Hugh Cornwell ever since... Their whole set was really dull - seemed like Cornwell wasn't really interested in being there.

Did enjoy seeing AC/DC rocking away to themselves in apparent silence for 10 minutes, because they were hearing the stage monitors and didn't realise the main stadium speakers had packed up.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
There with my Father in Law, we'd bought terrace season tickets and stood at the front of the South Stand for the game. I remember 'Bang Bang' by B.A. Robertson playing over the tannoy before the game (it must have been an omen), then Albion being all over Arsenal for the first ten mins, followed by Arsenal then showing us how it should be done.
A very quiet and miserable drive home.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I remember being a kid winning almost every home game the previous 2 seasons, so it was a bit of a shock to me being 3-0 down at H/T after a promising start.
Cant believe I was in the North Stand at such a young age as well in an era where there was a lot of crowd trouble.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was ten and we arrived back from holiday in WSM that afternoon. We got in the taxi at Brighton station and I asked the score. 'They're 2-0 down already' laughed the Arsenal fan driver. I always remember that.

Corrected for you :wink:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was there a game of two halves they thrashed us first half while they held us to a draw second half

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I remember 'Bang Bang' by B.A. Robertson playing over the tannoy before the game

Seemed to be at every home game for about eight seasons I seem to recall....... In fact, thinking back, we had very limited turnover in pre-match music then.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I was 12 at the time and as has been said before, knew nothing but success supporting Mullery's Marvels, i stood on the roof of the toilets in the south west corner as Arsenal gave us an absolute lesson in finishing. After being so hyped up for the game beforehand, i didn't see the game out, cant remember if it was half time or when the 4th went in, but i know i'd seen enough and left early, certainly wasn't alone as there were scores of blue and white clad fans walking back along Old Shoreham Road obviously feeling the same.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
We lost 0-4 and I got mugged at knife point on the train home by a bunch of Arsenal boys. I was reading the match programme but managed to convince them I was a neutral to save myself from a kicking or worse. Not my best day out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports