Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 104 years ago........................... ..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would love to see a flag or banner with that image on it up inside the stadium. Don't know if it is possible to do.

This.Surely this guy is the ultimate Brighton legend: player, manager and, I believe, secretary. Wasn't he at the club for more than 30 years or something?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This.Surely this guy is the ultimate Brighton legend: player, manager and, I believe, secretary. Wasn't he at the club for more than 30 years or something?

If there is someone on here who know how to organise that, could we not all chip in to get it done? I would donate to that.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Charlie Webb:

0pfNxE.jpg

:bowdown:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is the team that actually won it:

Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_1910.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Charlie Webb was actually associated with the club for almost 40 years, from 1908 to 1947.

Before WWI he played 275 games over seven seasons as an inside forward, scoring 79 goals, including the Charity Shield winner. Selected for Ireland, he was also the first Albion player to win full international caps.

After getting captured by the Germans during the war and spending eight months in a PoW camp, he returned to manage the club for 28 years (!) - making him by far the club's longest serving manager. In total, he was in charge for 1,215 matches, earning him the nickname of 'Mr Albion'.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anybody understand how points were awarded back then?

Home - W18 D2 L1 = 28 points
Away - W5 D11 L5 = 31 points.

Huh?

Someone obviously wasn't very good at maths! Two points for a win, so should be 38 at home and 21 away.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And no goalkeeper!

They did though - Pom Pom Whiting at the top. He was mentioned on here recently as being one of the Albion players killed in the war.

And to pick up on a theme earlier, I'd be happy to contribute to a Charlie Webb banner. He of all ex-players deserves to recognised

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Bet most of the JCLs on here weren't even at the game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here