Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On the bright side ...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Congrats on achieving probably my first Thumbs Down this year. And probably also last year.

So wrong. So dumb.

Only going on your comment which reads as you arn't that bothered about the club and only went to games at the Withdean because you felt some sort of obligation to try to keep the club in business rather than any sort of fans connection which would have meant that you went to games at the Withdean because you actually wanted to go to watch your team playing

However now we have a new ground and more fans, you feel / think that you don't need to go anymore because the club can cope without you being there (unlike before) so you arn't that bothered about attending again.

This is why some feel disconnected to the club rather than anything that club is saying or doing since moving to the Amex and it is all down to the individuals own perception of how important they are / were to the continued survival of the club (the less important to keeping them going you feel, the more disconnected you feel when very little has changed in the clubs approach to people who may attend / buy from the club, etc...)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only going on your comment which reads as you arn't that bothered about the club and only went to games at the Withdean because you felt some sort of obligation to try to keep the club in business rather than any sort of fans connection which would have meant that you went to games at the Withdean because you actually wanted to go to watch your team playing

However now we have a new ground and more fans, you feel / think that you don't need to go anymore because the club can cope without you being there (unlike before) so you arn't that bothered about attending again.

This is why some feel disconnected to the club rather than anything that club is saying or doing since moving to the Amex and it is all down to the individuals own perception of how important they are / were to the continued survival of the club (the less important to keeping them going you feel, the more disconnected you feel when very little has changed in the clubs approach to people who may attend / buy from the club, etc...)

OK, fair enough, I retract my 'So dumb' comment. Not my 'So wrong' comment though. :shrug:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good point, see Man City vs Champions League or Arsenal/Liverpool & title...often things do not fit into place as readily as you may hope, the jump from 7k to 27k has introduced a few too many short termers who maybe 'deserve' some pain to be to properly appreciate future glory (this will also delay the long termers next celebration as a consequence, unfortunately)

But the short-termers will just not go, leaving the long-termers with all the pain they don't deserve.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This has been covered well by [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION], but the way that the whole 'club banging on about PLR' myth has developed on here amazes me. As was said, it was only mentioned in one single Argus article about an internal non-playing staff edict; there has never been any other mention made of it in public/fan communication by the club. The only place where people bang on about it is on NSC - it's almost become viral with not many people knowing the origins of the phrase and believing everything that they read on an internet message board.

Likewise, the fans/customers thing is a load of bollocks as well that evolved out of one comment by Paul Barber that was taken completely out of context.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This has been covered well by [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION], but the way that the whole 'club banging on about PLR' myth has developed on here amazes me. As was said, it was only mentioned in one single Argus article about an internal non-playing staff edict; there has never been any other mention made of it in public/fan communication by the club. The only place where people bang on about it is on NSC - it's almost become viral with not many people knowing the origins of the phrase and believing everything that they read on an internet message board.

Likewise, the fans/customers thing is a load of bollocks as well that evolved out of one comment by Paul Barber that was taken completely out of context.

So, the club did use the PLR phrase, and PB did talk about customers!?

GF couldn't be more wrong then.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not in any communication to fans, no.

So how do you know about it? Are you not a fan!?

TBH I think GF needs to be less judgemental of other fans.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So how do you know about it? Are you not a fan!?

TBH I think GF needs to be less judgemental of other fans.

I read NSC. Hence I am aware that there was once an Argus article describing Paul Barber's use of the phrase to his staff. It wasn't directed at me or other fans, and they haven't been 'banging on constantly' about it.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
PLR and the Ambition line don't promise us anything. I'm happy that the structure of the club is PLR and that promotion is an ambition. As far as I'm aware we have not been promised Premier League. And if some think we have, I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier "six year olds' quote.

I don't suppose any club is surprised that fans are unhappy when the team is playing poorly. I'm sure I am as unhappy as you about it and I am very much in the Hyypia out camp, BUT I've seen it all before and expect to do so again, regardless of which division we're in.

I haven't been promised success and I don't expect it. I HOPE passionately for success but that's not what I pay my money for. We deserve 100% commitment from the players but good football and winning football are bonuses.

I know there are many who would disagree with me and they are entitled to their opinion. I am very comfortable with mine.

i agree with you, but what gets my back up is that we have ( or did ) have the highest attendances in the football league, all paying some of the highest ticket prices in the football league. But we get the worst manager in the football league and one of the worst teams in the championship. So with that you have to se why brighton fans are p*sed off right now

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I read NSC. Hence I am aware that there was once an Argus article describing Paul Barber's use of the phrase to his staff. It wasn't directed at me or other fans, and they haven't been 'banging on constantly' about it.

So, it was in the Argus, so many fans saw it... I never said the club were banging on about it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Best stadium in the FL.
Top training facilities.
Club mention PLR, regardless of who addressed to, it gets out to the fans.
Top attendances in FL.
4th then 6th.
Now firmly in the bottom 3.

And GF, nwgull and others wonder why fans are p1ssed off!?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So, it was in the Argus, so many fans saw it... I never said the club were banging on about it.

I didn't say that you did, but the original discussion went off on a tangent following this post (and I've seen many similar over the past few weeks):

So you'd be fine paying anything? The club must love you.

I'm sorry but it's just plain LOGIC that if the club push prices up massively and bang on CONSTANTLY about PLR, One Club One Ambition, they then can't be surprised when fans aren't happy that we're a bit shithouse.

Just re-read the article and there's one bit worth quoting:

'Barber is wary of PLR being taken the wrong way.

He added: “We have kept it internal because, if you are not careful, it can be interpreted the wrong way externally.'

He wasn't wrong!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, the club did use the PLR phrase, and PB did talk about customers!?

GF couldn't be more wrong then.

My understanding is that PB sees us as fans, but expects the club to deliver a level of service equal to that which any decent business would give to customers. That's a tricky line to tread when it comes to pushing out a message as people tend to hear what they want to hear. It's also tricky because fans expect a lot more than customers do, and rightly so.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On the bright side, we have The Worlds Hardest Creature binfest ahead very soon !

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My understanding is that PB sees us as fans, but expects the club to deliver a level of service equal to that which any decent business would give to customers. That's a tricky line to tread when it comes to pushing out a message as people tend to hear what they want to hear. It's also tricky because fans expect a lot more than customers do, and rightly so.
That was my understanding too, which I thought was entirely reasonable. Fans get exploited because they're addicts whereas customers are valued. That's how i took it at the time.

Trouble is that Barber in particular doesn't value the customers in that way and doesn't consider them to be right (my experience Paul, not intended to be a statement of fact worthy of threat of litigation please). You may only find this out when things go wrong but in Barber's eyes the customer is only right when it matches his view (again Paul please refer to comment in brackets above).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here