On paper..................

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
At the moment, is this the best Brighton team ever ??

Also "on paper" is it the best team in the championship ??

Shame leagues aren't won on paper !!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Reason I started this thread was after looking at the Swansea team today, on paper, are their players that better than ours ??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reason I started this thread was after looking at the Swansea team today, on paper, are their players that better than ours ??

Well their league status might be a clue

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011

Vorm and Kuszczak pretty equal.
Rangel better than Bruno.
Williams and Flores better than our CB's.
Bridge probably better than Davies.
Britton better than Bridcutt.
De Guzman better than Hammond
Pablo Hernandez better than Spanish Dave.
Vicente is better than whoever plays CAM for Swansea.
Michu is better than Ulloa.

So yeh, we definitely have a better team than Swansea. ???

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Having a giraffe? This lot would never hold up in Premier mid table. No where near the team we had in div 1.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Completely different game these days. If the two teams met at the Amex with modern rules, I'd back the current team to win easily. On an old bumpy pitch with old-fashioned 'leniency' I think the current lot would get bullied.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

probably not on either count because we dont score enough goals and cannot finish games off (and so as not to lay all the fault on the forwards - we also defend too deep under pressure).

All that aside it is the side I have most enjoyed watching for a great many years.

In my memory (flawed as it is) there were teams in the sixties with the likes of Bobby Smith, Goodchild, Cassidy, Collins , Gould etc that were a delight to support although it was a very different game then.
There was also the side of the early to mid seventies with Kit Napier (always my favourite player) in his pomp.
And then just a few years later we had Lawrenson, Stevens, Foster and - at various times Dean Saunders and Peter Ward.

There have been some good times since - Bobby Zamora was a stand-out player but not in a stand-out team - but nothing to match the quality of football we see now. Very very happy times :thumbsup:

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The answe to both questions is no. This is neither the best team we have ever had, or the best team 'on paper' in the division.

The teams that represented us in the top flight are the best albion sides ever, and we are probably about 5th or 6th in the division at present.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Vorm and Kuszczak pretty equal.
Rangel better than Bruno.
Williams and Flores better than our CB's.
Bridge probably better than Davies.
Britton better than Bridcutt.
De Guzman better than Hammond
Pablo Hernandez better than Spanish Dave.
Vicente is better than whoever plays CAM for Swansea.
Michu is better than Ulloa.

So yeh, we definitely have a better team than Swansea. ???

Agree with all this except I think Bridcutt is as good (if not better) than Britton.

Think you might be under rating Davies though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Completely different game these days. If the two teams met at the Amex with modern rules, I'd back the current team to win easily. On an old bumpy pitch with old-fashioned 'leniency' I think the current lot would get bullied.

You can't beat class. Case, Horton, Lawrenson, Foster, Ward, Robinson, Smith.
OK, Vicente and goalie may get a game, but no-one's telling me Horton or Case EVER allowed any team to bully us.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Think this team forms the base of a team that might one day be the best ever........
But the class of 79 still better overall

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said, we have the best squad, ever.

I'm not convinced we have the best team, as our 11 on any given day wouldn't always beat the '79, 11.

Ullao being 2 - 1 down in 'missed sitters inside the six yard box', isn't helping the cause.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You can't beat class. Case, Horton, Lawrenson, Foster, Ward, Robinson, Smith.
OK, Vicente and goalie may get a game, but no-one's telling me Horton or Case EVER allowed any team to bully us.

Agree with this. Mike Robinson seems to get forgotten about but he was arguably one of the best strikers we ever had. In some respects better than Wardy who was incredible in Div 2 but found Div 1 much harder. Robinson scored all his goals, of course, in Div 1 and was close to being the top scorer league despite that we were flirting with relegation.
Lawrenson was true class. I personally think Kuzack has yet to prove that he is as good as the long serving Mosely. And others like Sully, Gary Williams, Foster, etc would do well today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports