Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On paper - is this our best squad since 1982/83?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Chicksen is already better than painter. Not the finished article but had a great second half at Swindon.

Agreed. What I was basically trying to say is that picking out two players to try and prove a point doesn't really stack up. Its like saying this squad must be better than the 2012-13 side because Ince is better than Gary Dicker.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I don't know enough about the players yet to say whether it's better than the side that finished 4th 2 seasons back.

Same here. Difficult to beat the best XI from that year:

---------------PIG-----------------
-Calderon--Upson--Greer--Bridge-
-----------Bridcutt----------------
--------Lopez----Orlandi----------
--Buckley---------------Lua Lua--
-------------Ulloa-----------------

Yes. Please.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I don't know enough about the players yet to say whether it's better than the side that finished 4th 2 seasons back.

I saw some of the new guys last night and can confirm that the recent signings are ALL top quality.

I think only possible weakness is at right back. Otherwise a great squad.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I made a very similar point in one of he other threads. Yes, I think that, on paper, this is probably the best squad in absolute terms for ~30 years. It's arguable that other squads have been stronger for the division we've been in at the time, and whether it's strong enough, gels together properly, or delivers - only time will tell. But, on paper, it is, imo the best squad for 30 years...

Good post, I concur!

TNBA

TTF

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
No. It was decided before the season started that this was the WORST team we have had at the Amex, which just proves that some people (ok quite a lot it seems) really are deluded morons on here.

I think that is a bit unfair. If I remember correctly, most people were saying that the current team (first game against SWFC) was the worst at the Amex and that additions were desperately needed. Since then we have signed about 6 or 7 very good players. The only criticism you can have is that a lot of fans were very harsh towards the board for not having the squad ready for the start of the season and for not having any faith in the "suits" to assemble a competitive squad. they have been proved wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Same here. Difficult to beat the best XI from that year:

---------------PIG-----------------
-Calderon--Upson--Greer--Bridge-
-----------Bridcutt----------------
--------Lopez----Orlandi----------
--Buckley---------------Lua Lua--
-------------Ulloa-----------------

Yes. Please.

Both players at their best, Bruno is COUNTRY MILES ahead of Calde. And I love Calde. But Bruno at his best is a top flight footballer.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This is no where near as strong as our play off team if two years ago. That defence was ridiculous and an in form lopez, orlandi, and occasional vicente supplemented by buckley and bridcutt finishing with ulloa up front. A side that made us millions in transfer fees compared to a team that is largely made up of freebies and cheap signings in comparison.

scooter1

How soon is now?
The starting team and tactics are as yet unproven over more than a couple of games, and whilst we may not have the 'names' who have proven to do well for us in the past, the actual depth of the squad looks really promising. Over the last few years, we've had 13 or maybe 15 strong players per season, but right now it looks like we have 20 or so

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that is a bit unfair. If I remember correctly, most people were saying that the current team (first game against SWFC) was the worst at the Amex and that additions were desperately needed.
Yes, that was most people. But there were a few that had serious nighttime bladder incidents, and didn't think we'd be getting any decent players in, thought that Bloom was cashing in etc etc.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Difficult to compare squads with the ones in the First Division 79-83 mainly due to the bench position, only one sub permitted against the 7 now, which immediately moves from a 12 to 18 matchday team. Also players were rotated less, with smaller squads due to the fact that there was no transfer window, just a closed period towards the end of the season, therefore injuries or loss of form could be overcome finishing by getting new players in.

Purely looking at the team as opposed to the squad, I would still go with the one under Mike Bailey which got up to 4th at one stage in the season before finishing mid table would be the stronger on the basis that the current squad st this stage has yet to perform consistently during the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here