Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On being the 9th best supported team in ENGLAND.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I've been having a bloody field day with this over in expat land. Surrounded by Leeds, Forest, Middlesborough and Leicester fans. Nonchalantly raising a glass to the 22 and a half thousand season ticket holders and declaring to the supporters of these "big" clubs that "our hard core support is bigger than yours" has caused me no end of mirth these last few weeks.

The days of "we should be beating teams like Brighton" have been replaced by "Shit! We're smaller than Brighton!" in the space of pretty much 2 years.

I do think we need some serious official season ticket saleage tabling to rub their noses right in it though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Be very careful. We are way off the size of many teams with less sth. Definitely Leeds. A few bad seasons and it be be rubbed back in your face plus some.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Chris Cattlin many decades ago: "Brighton have the potential to be one of the big nine" (biggest clubs in the English leagues) :)

Maybe he was right.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I've been having a bloody field day with this over in expat land. Surrounded by Leeds, Forest, Middlesborough and Leicester fans. Nonchalantly raising a glass to the 22 and a half thousand season ticket holders and declaring to the supporters of these "big" clubs that "our hard core support is bigger than yours" has caused me no end of mirth these last few weeks.

The days of "we should be beating teams like Brighton" have been replaced by "Shit! We're smaller than Brighton!" in the space of pretty much 2 years.

I do think we need some serious official season ticket saleage tabling to rub their noses right in it though.

Steady on. Give it 5 years and see if we still have 22k season ticket holders or more then.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Be very careful. We are way off the size of many teams with less sth. Definitely Leeds. A few bad seasons and it be be rubbed back in your face plus some.

The simple fact of the matter is that right here, right now, we have more season ticket holders than all but 8 other teams in the land. Enjoy the now!

Wind up your office mates big time, we can do this for an entire YEAR at LEAST! :O

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely Withdean is the finest indicator of hardcore support. Not many other teams have had the chance to measure up (lucky them!).

If you're going down that route, then you may as well say Gillingham. What did we average there - about 3k? Pretty amazing given that our home ground was 75 miles away and we were struggling at the bottom of the football leage with the worst set of players in the club's history.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Also because it is also so impossible to measure - I did see a thread on a general website about the biggest teams in the midlands. All fans said Villa first and 90% said Forest second - after that it all went potty!

Us (Bmth) have a 3/3.5 k hardcore, which is pretty poor (chronic for the size of local population, possibly the worst in the country..). I quite like Millwalls crowd - just fluctuates between 10-15k all the time, not so many floating fans..

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
If you have any brummy based fans in your work place it's good fun to support the Villa fan's claim to superiority over Birmingham City based on the fact that Villa have more STHs. And then when the City fan concedes that point, start giggling inanely and inform them that by that very same argument they are BOTH smaller than Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here