Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On 23/12/1978

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
The underrated Malcom Poskett hit a hat trick at the Valley.

Was anyone else on the charter train that got stranded at Corby on the way to the Forest league cup tie?

A long time ago, but fair play to the club, we got free travel and entry to the Charlton game as a result of that ill fated train journey.

Due to a postponement quite a few hammers fans were also at the valley. Made for an interesting day.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I was there... it was freezing on that huge terrace... we set fire to cardboard boxes in a vain attempt to keep warm :laugh:

and the West ham turning up caused a bit of a stir... they had a serious reputation in those days!!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
yep i was there - a god awful terrace that was. Actually don't remember WH turning up, but I was probably worse for wear.
Super sub Poskett, but replaced Maybank in the end didn't he?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes on both.

remember it being freezing cold and my mum knitted a woollen seagull after that game and we called it Malcolm Pokettt in honour of the great man.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Was anyone else on the charter train that got stranded at Corby on the way to the Forest league cup tie?

A long time ago, but fair play to the club, we got free travel and entry to the Charlton game as a result of that ill fated train journey.

Due to a postponement quite a few hammers fans were also at the valley. Made for an interesting day.
I was of the lucky ones in that I was on the 1st train that went up to Forest and managed to get there within an hour of kick-off. If I remember it was stop-start on the way up as well as on the way back.. With the game against Derby away in the cup the previous season wasn't it two trains that went tits up, one got there just before half-time and the other one much later (or this one didn't get there at all) The away end was jammed packed as it was.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
yep i was there - a god awful terrace that was. Actually don't remember WH turning up, but I was probably worse for wear.
Super sub Poskett, but replaced Maybank in the end didn't he?
So was I and I don’t remember any West Ham turning up either . Maybank got a hat trick in the next game , Boxing Day v Cardiff I think. I’m not sure Poskett replaced Maybank, they both left in 1980.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here