Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Triathlon and rowing took place in Tokyo Bay. It's the only actual 'waterfront' Tokyo has. And it's the only straight bit of water going. The rivers twist and turn all over the place. Although thinking about the British mens fours and their wayward steering, maybe that was what they had trained for...

The marathon was held in Sapporo, a city many hundreds of miles to the north of Tokyo on a completely different Island. I offer no defense of their decision to showcase none of their (quite nice) city and (very) nice island.

I bloody love Tokyo but it has a face that only it's mother could love. In daytime at least. At night it's a neon wilderness and comes alive on the beauty front.

Unfortunately despite having a big population Tokyo isn't actually a particularly big city. There are a lot, a hell of a lot, of buildings crammed into that relatively small space. And most of them are square, grey and uninspiring. It's not really a city that has too many immediate attractions or 'wow' vistas. It's a city whose charm and beauty is found through experiencing its many disparate parts. You start off thinking it's a pretty ugly place but slowly it reveals itself to you until one day you think its the greatest city on earth.

I reckon if this had been a normal year and the journalists and tv crews had been allowed out of their covid bubble we would have seen a lot more of the city. As it was all we got was the grey, desolate edifices. Which is why I loved the BBC studio. That tapped in a little to the vibe and style of the city.

If I go to Japan, which I hope I will, I would only go to Tokyo to see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower and then move along.

Capital cities are rarely the most interesting ones.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If I go to Japan, which I hope I will, I would only go to Tokyo to see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower and then move along.

Capital cities are rarely the most interesting ones.

Depends what you're looking for really. If that one building is all your interested in about Tokyo it's probably not worth the bother stopping off. Get into the countryside and mountains and enjoy the beauty of Japanese nature.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure many countries actually want it these days.

Wow, interesting. Hadn't really picked up on that. Thought the likes of Sochi and London were showing the regeneration benefits rather than the empty parks such as Barcelona.

This is correct. Sochi 2014 (Winter O) apparently cost something like $51bn to lay on (some $10bn over budget).

Calgary pulled out of bidding to host the 2026 Winter Olympics a few years ago as there was a strong local backlash on the sheer scale of the costs of the bid. Numerous IOC delegates expect to be wined, dined, glad-handed and (likely bribed) over several weeks as they are brought to the city and lobbied to award the Games, which sticks in the throat. Then during the event, the city itself is expected to be carved up with special lanes for the IOC members exclusive use so they can be whisked around the city swiftly without delay.

The people of Calgary voted something like 60-40 for the Winter Olympics to DO one, as the feeling was the money could be put to far better use. Good for them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Handball is one of the most popular sports here (behind football and ice hockey), just like in pretty much every European country besides the UK (for some reason) so it falls into the "good stuff" category over here.

The Discovery owned channel (Kanal 5) has mainly been showing... powerwalking and shooting and shit though. Much preferred when SVT (our public service) had the rights.

I assumed Handball was popular over there. I enjoyed watching your lot. To my untrained eye, Stromberg, Roberts and the baby faced assassin, Hansson were your best players.

I think the best team won Gold though. Loved watching that team and for me Zaadi Deuna was the player of the tournament. France have some great players but she seemed to run the show. Some of her no look passing was just sublime!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The Triathlon and rowing took place in Tokyo Bay. It's the only actual 'waterfront' Tokyo has. And it's the only straight bit of water going. The rivers twist and turn all over the place. Although thinking about the British mens fours and their wayward steering, maybe that was what they had trained for...

The marathon was held in Sapporo, a city many hundreds of miles to the north of Tokyo on a completely different Island. I offer no defense of their decision to showcase none of their (quite nice) city and (very) nice island.

I bloody love Tokyo but it has a face that only it's mother could love. In daytime at least. At night it's a neon wilderness and comes alive on the beauty front.

Unfortunately despite having a big population Tokyo isn't actually a particularly big city. There are a lot, a hell of a lot, of buildings crammed into that relatively small space. And most of them are square, grey and uninspiring. It's not really a city that has too many immediate attractions or 'wow' vistas. It's a city whose charm and beauty is found through experiencing its many disparate parts. You start off thinking it's a pretty ugly place but slowly it reveals itself to you until one day you think its the greatest city on earth.

I reckon if this had been a normal year and the journalists and tv crews had been allowed out of their covid bubble we would have seen a lot more of the city. As it was all we got was the grey, desolate edifices. Which is why I loved the BBC studio. That tapped in a little to the vibe and style of the city.

Having been to Tokyo a fair few times, I agree with all of this, except I do love how parts of the city look - but they’re mostly about cool little back streets and great shops, bars, and cafes - there aren’t really blockbuster sights that suit being an Olympics backdrop. Completely agree that if TV had the chance to get out and about, it would have felt very different and I think they’d have been able to convey much more of the City’s uniqueness.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Opening. Ceremony for the Paralympics is on Channel 4, as will the coverage be over the following days.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/09/team-gb-still-too-white-suburban-sport-england-official

The elephant in the room, whilst it was good to see Team GB do well it was so sad to see how white the team was and the lack of diversity. A massive own goal and missed opportunity.

Rubbish. I couldn't care less about the colour of the athletes if they are British.

The corollary for your argument means that you would also be advocating for more white representation in the Premier League.

Imagine your post being something like 'The elephant in the room, whilst it was good to see Premier League teams do well it was so sad to see how black the team was and the lack of diversity. A massive own goal and missed opportunity.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here