Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sadness for the Japanese people to have had this moment cruelly taken away from them. I know how I felt about our Olympics, especially having been fortunate enough to take my kids up to see it.
Worse still, I can imagine that in the end many in Tokyo would rather have not had it at all, given the circumstances. A difficult call all round.

For this reason alone, I really really hope that Tokyo is allowed to host it as soon as they are next able to have it (assuming they want it). It would be lovely to see them host it in 2036 (Brisbane has recently been awarded 2032).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That was my favourite medal. The girl from the USA thought she’d done it and the British Girl was like “hold my beer”

Well done Charlotte Worthington bloody legend.

https://youtu.be/e1MW3eW4HLI
Hard to disagree although all 4 BMX medals were tremendous to see. One medal that deserves far more credit than it has received is the silver medal won by Emily Campbell in the weight lifting. She only took up the sport 5 or 6 years ago, then in Tokyo she smashed her personal best in order to get on the podium - something we've never done before in women's weightlifting. And perhaps most impressively, she received absolutely no funding which is why we took only 3 female lifters to Tokyo. She grafted, crowd-funded and basically did it all herself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58059401

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, Discovery own Eurosport so they got all the stuff the Beeb couldn't show.

It was the other way round. Discovery's contract with the IOC obligated them to show a percentage of the games free-to-air. Given public feeling toward the BBC in the UK, Discovery subcontracted out their free-to-air obligations to the BBC. Everything the BBC was allowed to show was what Discovery agreed to show free-to-air.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It was the other way round. Discovery's contract with the IOC obligated them to show a percentage of the games free-to-air. Given public feeling toward the BBC in the UK, Discovery subcontracted out their free-to-air obligations to the BBC. Everything the BBC was allowed to show was what Discovery agreed to show free-to-air.

That's what I was saying :)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
For this reason alone, I really really hope that Tokyo is allowed to host it as soon as they are next able to have it (assuming they want it). It would be lovely to see them host it in 2036 (Brisbane has recently been awarded 2032).

I was thinking something similar yesterday. Both London and Paris will have hosted 3 times by then, so why not?

If that's not viable, I'd like to see individual Olympic sports host their next World Championships in Tokyo.

It would be both a continual legacy of sport and an ongoing gift to the people of Japan who missed out this time.

Both competitors and visitors could then get the full experience, which is always much more than the sports themselves.

I visited Japan for the WC2002, loved it and would definitely go back.

For a start and Covid-permitting, I'd encourage the IAAF to move the 2021 World Championships (now 2022) from Eugene, Oregon.

It was originally awarded to Eugene by Lamine Diack, former IAAF chief and predecessor of Lord Coe, outside of the normal bidding process.

The subject of multiiple corruption investigations, Diack was under house arrest from 2015 before his conviction last summer and 4 year sentence.

After the debacle of Doha and with the person who awarded the championships currently behind bars, moving it would help to restore some credibility.

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I was thinking something similar yesterday. Both London and Paris will have hosted 3 times by then, so why not?

If that's not viable, I'd like to see individual Olympic sports host their next World Championships in Tokyo.

It would be both a continual legacy of sport and an ongoing gift to the people of Japan who missed out this time.

For a start and Covid-permitting, I'd encourage the IAAF to move the 2021 World Championships (now moved to 2022) from Eugene, Oregon.

It was originally awarded to Eugene by Lamine Diack, former IAAF chief and predecessor of Lord Coe, outside of the normal bidding process.

The subject of multiiple corruption investigations, Diack was under house arrest from 2015 before his conviction last year and 4 year prison sentence.

After the debacle of Doha and with the person who awarded the championships currently behind bars, moving it would help to restore some credibility.

Can't see the Games staying out of Europe for effectively 16 years if the 2036 games went back to Tokyo. Would have thought LA then Brisbane will in all likelihood be followed by a European continent host. Germany haven't hosted a Games since 1972, so you would think they would be strongly in the running by then.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed everything I saw of the games. Probably should\could have put in more night shifts, but I was more than happy with watching the highlights and – increasingly as the games went on – the online stuff. So well done to the BBC team – a fine mix of top presenters and great experts who have been there and done that.

Team GB athletes were fantastic. As well as their achievements, I was in awe of their interviews where they displayed gratitude, genuine emotion and camaraderie with their teammates and those who supported them in their efforts. It made such a change from the (predominantly) bland responses that get churned out by footballers post-match.

As for Tokyo, they did a great job given the circumstances. Very difficult when even the country wanted to cancel, but the IOC wouldn't let them. And then to play out the games amid protests from locals and in basically empty stadiums. As a country, I would love to go – this Olympic Games has only made that desire greater than ever!

Roll on Paris 2024!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I thought the Olympics was one of the five protected sports events for Free to Air TV.

You're making me feel guilty now, as I'm generally opposed to subscription TV. I've never had Sky or BT for example. I do have Eurosport Player though, as it's £30 for the year (less sometimes on a deal) and it's about the only place I get to watch road cycling all season round.

This had puzzled me too.

The latest appears to be the 16 March 2020.

• Group A events - full live coverage must be offered. This group includes the FA Cup Final, the Grand National and the Olympic Games;

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct.../SN00802.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0gDXrDoBoMBsBEiesqX2Iy

"full live coverage". Well, we certainly didn't get that from the Beeb. Fortunately Eurosport did what the Beeb should have been doing. Lots of action and minimal waffling on unlike the Beeb who had to fill the dead space when they should have been showing live action.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought the Olympics was one of the five protected sports events for Free to Air TV.

You're making me feel guilty now, as I'm generally opposed to subscription TV. I've never had Sky or BT for example. I do have Eurosport Player though, as it's £30 for the year (less sometimes on a deal) and it's about the only place I get to watch road cycling all season round.

That’s interesting - I thought the IOC only did media deals on a contract that there has to be a percentage of free-to-air coverage. So for Europe Discovery had the deal who own Eurosport. In the UK to avoid a PR disaster Discovery gave, or perhaps sold their free-to-air obligations to the BBC.

Discovery owns a free TV channel over here so they have showed a lot of stuff, probably to fulfill this deal, but mainly stuff no one wants to see and saving the good stuff for the paid channels.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This had puzzled me too.

The latest appears to be the 16 March 2020.

• Group A events - full live coverage must be offered. This group includes the FA Cup Final, the Grand National and the Olympic Games;

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct.../SN00802.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0gDXrDoBoMBsBEiesqX2Iy

"full live coverage". Well, we certainly get that from the Beeb. Fortunately Eurosport did what the Beeb should have been doing. Lots of action and minimal waffling on to fill the dead space when they should have been showing live action.

The rights were sold at a European level, Discovery outbid the European Broadcasting Union to win the full rights. The BBC's contract allowed them to show two concurrent streams so clearly it was a struggle for them to show everything live.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I work with some colleagues in Japan and general feeling there is huge disappointment. They are in the midst of covid crisis still with many lockdowns in place so hosting the Olympics was odd + generally you can afford to host the Olympics with the economic benefits of doing so, with no visitors allowed it is going to cost the country a huge amount to repay for hosting the games.... Shame as Japan is such a great place to visit

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I work with some colleagues in Japan and general feeling there is huge disappointment. They are in the midst of covid crisis still with many lockdowns in place so hosting the Olympics was odd + generally you can afford to host the Olympics with the economic benefits of doing so, with no visitors allowed it is going to cost the country a huge amount to repay for hosting the games.... Shame as Japan is such a great place to visit

Given the circumstances, I thought Japan did a fine job of hosting the games although some of the officials did seem a little, well, over-officious. Plenty of times I saw competitors told in no uncertain terms how and where to go next - plus the debacle with the boat at the start of the triathlon and the fool wandering onto the BMX track were just horror shows.

However, the one thing that did disappoint me a little is that the staging of events outside of the main stadium did little to showcase Japan to me and make me want to visit. The triathlon and marathons seemed to wind their way through industrial zones or dreary suburbs and the rowing seemed to take place alongside a busy motorway. Obviously, you can only play with the cards you are dealt but I'm sure some of these events could've been staged in more inspiring locations that do greater justice to the host city. I didn't really get sense of Tokyo or Japan through the coverage I watched.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Discovery owns a free TV channel over here so they have showed a lot of stuff, probably to fulfill this deal, but mainly stuff no one wants to see and saving the good stuff for the paid channels.

What category does Handball fall into over there? It almost certainly falls into the 'stuff that no one wants to see' over here, so I got a result having Eurosport Player.

Also, whilst I am patriotic when it comes to sport, it's not the be all and end all for me, so it was nice to get away from the very team GB slant of the BBC for a change. Not that I'm criticising the BBC for that. I get why they do that, and I'm also a big BBC fan in general, a happy licence fee payer.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
However, the one thing that did disappoint me a little is that the staging of events outside of the main stadium did little to showcase Japan to me and make me want to visit. The triathlon and marathons seemed to wind their way through industrial zones or dreary suburbs and the rowing seemed to take place alongside a busy motorway. Obviously, you can only play with the cards you are dealt but I'm sure some of these events could've been staged in more inspiring locations that do greater justice to the host city. I didn't really get sense of Tokyo or Japan through the coverage I watched.

The Triathlon and rowing took place in Tokyo Bay. It's the only actual 'waterfront' Tokyo has. And it's the only straight bit of water going. The rivers twist and turn all over the place. Although thinking about the British mens fours and their wayward steering, maybe that was what they had trained for...

The marathon was held in Sapporo, a city many hundreds of miles to the north of Tokyo on a completely different Island. I offer no defense of their decision to showcase none of their (quite nice) city and (very) nice island.

I bloody love Tokyo but it has a face that only it's mother could love. In daytime at least. At night it's a neon wilderness and comes alive on the beauty front.

Unfortunately despite having a big population Tokyo isn't actually a particularly big city. There are a lot, a hell of a lot, of buildings crammed into that relatively small space. And most of them are square, grey and uninspiring. It's not really a city that has too many immediate attractions or 'wow' vistas. It's a city whose charm and beauty is found through experiencing its many disparate parts. You start off thinking it's a pretty ugly place but slowly it reveals itself to you until one day you think its the greatest city on earth.

I reckon if this had been a normal year and the journalists and tv crews had been allowed out of their covid bubble we would have seen a lot more of the city. As it was all we got was the grey, desolate edifices. Which is why I loved the BBC studio. That tapped in a little to the vibe and style of the city.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What category does Handball fall into over there? It almost certainly falls into the 'stuff that no one wants to see' over here, so I got a result having Eurosport Player.

Also, whilst I am patriotic when it comes to sport, it's not the be all and end all for me, so it was nice to get away from the very team GB slant of the BBC for a change. Not that I'm criticising the BBC for that. I get why they do that, and I'm also a big BBC fan in general, a happy licence fee payer.

Handball is one of the most popular sports here (behind football and ice hockey), just like in pretty much every European country besides the UK (for some reason) so it falls into the "good stuff" category over here.

The Discovery owned channel (Kanal 5) has mainly been showing... powerwalking and shooting and shit though. Much preferred when SVT (our public service) had the rights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here