Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't the BBC show all the action in 2012 and 2016? No doubt they would have done this time too had they been able to but the IOC sold the rights to Discovery.

You may well be right. Eurosport did keep mentioning Discovery plus. Like I say, it's the first time I've had Eurosport Player during an Olympics. I sort of assumed that like road cycling throughout the year, they have pretty much everything on there anyway.

It certainly helped me out, what with working during the day and the time differences.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You may well be right. Eurosport did keep mentioning Discovery plus. Like I say, it's the first time I've had Eurosport Player during an Olympics. I sort of assumed that like road cycling throughout the year, they have pretty much everything on there anyway.

It certainly helped me out, what with working during the day and the time differences.

Yeah, Discovery own Eurosport so they got all the stuff the Beeb couldn't show.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Superb event but as stated so sad no fans.

Highlight for me was the young freestyle BMX British girl, having failed the trick the first time she nailed it the second time. Also the camaraderie amongst the young female skateboarders was a joy to watch.

That was my favourite medal. The girl from the USA thought she’d done it and the British Girl was like “hold my beer”

Well done Charlotte Worthington bloody legend.

https://youtu.be/e1MW3eW4HLI

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I loved it but it fell into place for me. Just about matched my leave and it started nice and early.

I particularly loved the stuff I would looked handicapped it I tried it, so gymnastics, swimming, diving, bmxing, skateboarding and the spiderman stuff blew me away.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really, really going to miss this in the mornings……..been fantastic to get up early and watch over a coffee (and then realise I’ve been watching for about 5 hours and it’s nearly lunchtime…..‘I’ll just watch this taekwondo bout and a bit of skateboarding, and then some climbing and then I’ll get on and do some work. Oooh, kayaking’ :)).

The range of pundits the BBC have had have been absolutely fantastic IMO…..….the Logan/Johnson/Lewis/Ennis-Hill combo in particular worked really well but also Nicola Adams, Chris Hoy and Chris Boardman, Mark Foster Beth Tweddle and so many others. Fantastic insight from experienced athletes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was my favourite medal. The girl from the USA thought she’d done it and the British Girl was like “hold my beer”

If that was boxing the American girl was literally knocked out by that, simply stunning performance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If that was boxing the American girl was literally knocked out by that, simply stunning performance.

Soooooo many highlights. Kenny’s Keirin did it for me today though….or possibly Laura Muir. Or maybe the women’s Madison…….or the mixed triathlon………or……….:bowdown:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Really, really going to miss this in the mornings……..been fantastic to get up early and watch over a coffee (and then realise I’ve been watching for about 5 hours and it’s nearly lunchtime…..‘I’ll just watch this taekwondo bout and a bit of skateboarding, and then some climbing and then I’ll get on and do some work. Oooh, kayaking’ :)).

The range of pundits the BBC have had have been absolutely fantastic IMO…..….the Logan/Johnson/Lewis/Ennis-Hill combo in particular worked really well but also Nicola Adams, Chris Hoy and Chris Boardman, Mark Foster Beth Tweddle and so many others. Fantastic insight from experienced athletes.

Couldn't agree more. Been on hols for it, and though I'd usually be fed up with the weather, it's given me the perfect opportunity to sit and soak it all up for a few hours, each day.
I've enjoyed it so much, that I'm determined to get myself over to Paris in 2024, so have pre-registered for tix - no idea really what that means, but it's a start. :)

In the meanwhile, I guess it's back to watching GB News in the mornings. :mad:

Just kidding - I'd rather be back at work for an eternity than that. :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didnt see much at all since Swedish public service couldnt afford any rights to it. Its a bit shite - the Olympics usually turn kids into trying out sports but doubt it was the case this time around as not a lot of people want to get some expensive TV channel just to watch random sports.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Didnt see much at all since Swedish public service couldnt afford any rights to it. Its a bit shite - the Olympics usually turn kids into trying out sports but doubt it was the case this time around as not a lot of people want to get some expensive TV channel just to watch random sports.

Well done for coming second amongst the Scandinavians in the medal table though. Quite tight at the top but you managed to hold Norway off.

Denmark - 11
Sweden - 9
Norway - 8
Finland - 2

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Only just watched that. I know nothing about the sport whatsoever but that was just a stunning performance to watch.:clap2:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I thought the Olympics was one of the five protected sports events for Free to Air TV.

You're making me feel guilty now, as I'm generally opposed to subscription TV. I've never had Sky or BT for example. I do have Eurosport Player though, as it's £30 for the year (less sometimes on a deal) and it's about the only place I get to watch road cycling all season round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
C'est tres chaud dans la Marathon n'est-ce pas mes amis.
Voulez vous un bouteille de water por le drink aussi le cool down sur votre tete?
Oui?
Pas un chance. Hehawhehaw.

Far and away the highlight of the games - chapeau.

I'd love to see the look on Randy's face if he were to walk into the centre of a Velodrome and handed a bike.

The TV does the steepness of the bank no justice at all.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

That’s interesting - I thought the IOC only did media deals on a contract that there has to be a percentage of free-to-air coverage. So for Europe Discovery had the deal who own Eurosport. In the UK to avoid a PR disaster Discovery gave, or perhaps sold their free-to-air obligations to the BBC.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Adam Peaty being interviewed on TV at the moment….goodness me he speaks well. Long post-swimming career in the media ahead of him I think.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear I seem to have gone and missed it. Ooopsie !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here