[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like others, I've massively enjoyed these games, despite having very little interest before they started.

I'd like to get out to Paris in three years time to support Team GB, but LA 2028 is a definite for me (if we're allowed in by then!)

I'm also going to start doing the National Lottery so I'm contributing in a very small way to helping support these amazing athletes.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Like others, I've massively enjoyed these games, despite having very little interest before they started.

I'd like to get out to Paris in three years time to support Team GB, but LA 2028 is a definite for me (if we're allowed in by then!)

I'm also going to start doing the National Lottery so I'm contributing in a very small way to helping support these amazing athletes.

National lottery for me as well after enjoying Team GB's performances so much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Under the circumstances, what a brilliant Games. Well done Japan for putting this event on without spectators and taking a financial hit for the team.

You can't beat the Olympics for the purity of sport, the stories of dedication, triumph and disaster. A wonderful break from the predictability - and greed - of professional sport. The inclusion of new events like skateboarding, BMX was a big success, as was the spirit in which those events were held.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'd love to take the kids to an Olympics, it's been on my bucket list and I couldn't make any of the 2012 games due to work. I'd love to take the kids to the LA games for a few days but it might have to be Brisbane and extend the stay a bit.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've loved having sport on in my time zone from morning to night. It's been great.

It's just a shame that with the sport taking place all over the city I live in and with the years of waiting and building excitement at the prospect of hosting the games that it ended up being foisted on an unwanting people in the middle of a global pandemic. It's been a very strange experience knowing that it's all going on but it's all out of bounds, fenced off and strictly guarded.

Well done to the athletes though who have performed in not just strange circumstances but some incredibly tough conditions.

Also, I love the BBC studio. It's looked brilliant!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
C'est tres chaud dans la Marathon n'est-ce pas mes amis.
Voulez vous un bouteille de water por le drink aussi le cool down sur votre tete?
Oui?
Pas un chance. Hehawhehaw.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hardly watched at all, without a doubt the least enthusiastic I have ever been about the Olympics :shrug:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hardly watched at all, without a doubt the least enthusiastic I have ever been about the Olympics :shrug:

I honestly dont think that the competition could have been any better, it was just that there was nobody there to watch it, it was nothing like the first season of football in empty stadiums whereas the quality was really poor as the players egos were hit for six.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Several emotions stand out for me from this Olympics.

1. Sadness for the athletes that have sacrificed so much only to stand before empty stadia to perform and then receive their medals. (This is NOT a criticism of the decision to have no crowds btw). Such a simple silly thing in the grand scheme of things, I know, but the sight of medalists having to put their own medals on was horrible.

2. Sadness for the Japanese people to have had this moment cruelly taken away from them. I know how I felt about our Olympics, especially having been fortunate enough to take my kids up to see it.
Worse still, I can imagine that in the end many in Tokyo would rather have not had it at all, given the circumstances. A difficult call all round.

3. Joy at seeing so many competitors in the same events cheering each other on. I know this often happens, probably because they share a common experience of sacrifice to get there in the first place, but this year it seemed more poignant than ever. For me, the men's high jump final summed it up best. What a moment!...This is really what the Olympic spirit is all about.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superb event but as stated so sad no fans.

Highlight for me was the young freestyle BMX British girl, having failed the trick the first time she nailed it the second time. Also the camaraderie amongst the young female skateboarders was a joy to watch.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I honestly dont think that the competition could have been any better, it was just that there was nobody there to watch it, it was nothing like the first season of football in empty stadiums whereas the quality was really poor as the players egos were hit for six.

Fair comment, no crowds did dampen my enthusiasm. About the only thing I watched was the sailing, which doesn’t need crowds anyway.

GB did brilliantly, I should have watched more but the time difference and the mega waffling in the studios did my head in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fair comment, no crowds did dampen my enthusiasm. About the only thing I watched was the sailing, which doesn’t need crowds anyway.

GB did brilliantly, I should have watched more but the time difference and the mega waffling in the studios did my head in.

Eurosport Player is your friend here. I have it for Cycling all year round, and it's the first time I've had it for an Olympics. We got to see Women's Handball at the London Olympics and so this Olympics I've followed that throughout as my dedicated sport, on demand, so no worries about time differences either. I'd never have had that choice with just the BBC (unless it was available on the red button?), especially as we have no GB interest there.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Eurosport Player is your friend here. I have it for Cycling all year round, and it's the first time I've had it for an Olympics. We got to see Women's Handball at the London Olympics and so this Olympics I've followed that throughout as my dedicated sport, on demand, so no worries about time differences either. I'd never have had that choice with just the BBC (unless it was available on the red button?), especially as we have no GB interest there.

Didn't the BBC show all the action in 2012 and 2016? No doubt they would have done this time too had they been able to but the IOC sold the rights to Discovery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports