Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The cycling has been desperately dissapointing for team GB so far.
Not sure that's true. We've hoovered up silvers, but there is a clear changing of the guard as the Dutch are very strong. Australia were always close behind us in the cycling but they seem to be absolutely nowhere in this Olympics.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Matt Walls currently in gold medal position in the Omnium with 1 race left.

The elimination race is a great spectacle with the last rider to get over the line being knocked out every other lap.

Think musical chairs on wheels albeit without the music and the chairs.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
That 13 year old girl skateboarding :ohmy:

I have really enjoyed the Olympics... even without a crowd.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It never looked in doubt for Matt Walls who took it out from the start.

A fantastic gold medal for him and GB.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I take a look at the medal table from time to time. We are very much looking at 4th place if we can keep the Golds coming. We’re in competition with Australia who frustratingly ‘don’t do Silver’, they are converting the vast majority of their Gold opportunities and have only won 4 Silvers to our 18.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The cycling has been desperately dissapointing for team GB so far.

Not really. It just the track that looks that way but we have a gold and two silvers so far, but then in BMX we have two golds and one silver and a bronze as well as a gold in mountng biking

So far

4 golds
3 silvers
1 bronze

Also don't be surpirised by the Dutch doing so well, my daughter used to race in the European Junior Cycling tour in Assen .The statndard was so high and made the Junior racing events in the UK look amateurish which they are not. They are seeing the benefits of this now.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Great effort for Holly Bradshaw to get a bronze in the Pole Vault.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Great effort for Holly Bradshaw to get a bronze in the Pole Vault.

Really chuffed for her. Did make me smile when she said "I've had many ups and downs" it seemed obvious for a pole vault athlete. GB's first pole vault medal of any colour in an olympics, she is a history maker.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I take a look at the medal table from time to time. We are very much looking at 4th place if we can keep the Golds coming. We’re in competition with Australia who frustratingly ‘don’t do Silver’, they are converting the vast majority of their Gold opportunities and have only won 4 Silvers to our 18.

Interestingly, over here in the US, they rank the medals table using the total number of medals won (rather than by Gold, then Silver, then Bronze) so they have Team GB comfortably in 4th place currently.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Interestingly, over here in the US, they rank the medals table using the total number of medals won (rather than by Gold, then Silver, then Bronze) so they have Team GB comfortably in 4th place currently.

You mean they rank it in the way that shows them at the top, rather than the official way of Gold taking priority?

Well I never.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Is it wrong that I can’t take race walking seriously as a competitive sport? Watching it just feels like I’m watching some kind of surreal comedy sketch - I’m sure it’s very difficult to compete at an Olympic level but it just looks utterly ridiculous as a spectacle.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m with the U.S system!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have to say, I am amazed and proud of how well our athletes have performed and how high we feature in the medals table. To be honest, we will never compete with China or USA and the host nation traditionally perform strongly, so to be where we are is a fantastic achievment. Given so many of our medals have come in some of the more niche sports, whilst if anything we have slightly underperformed in areas were we are traditionally strong (rowing, cycling etc) - it bodes well for Paris 2024. If we can re-dress the balance with a few more medals in the stadium events in Paris and maintain the momentum in some of the other sports then it looks good for 3 years time - especially as travelling to and competing in northern Europe should feel a lot more like being at home for the athletes.

I'll miss the olympics when its over and that isn't something I thought I'd have said a few weeks ago. Stand-out competitors for me have been our triathletes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is it wrong that I can’t take race walking seriously as a competitive sport? Watching it just feels like I’m watching some kind of surreal comedy sketch - I’m sure it’s very difficult to compete at an Olympic level but it just looks utterly ridiculous as a spectacle.

It is a completely pointless event and massivley frustrating to watch as I just want them to break into a run. It's like a grand prix where you're not allowed to get out of first gear. One lap round the 400m track and then **** off back to the village would be okay. But 50km?!

If there was a gold medal for the person who can trundle round the suburbs of Sapporo looking most like a tourist in desparate need of a shit, this would be it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here