Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
But to counterbalance all the highs of sport, there's the lows that the likes of KJT, Asher-Smith and Gemili must be going through right now.

The story of an athlete isn't all about medals.

Jimmy Grimble

What's astounding is our level of medal success relative to similar-sized nations of comparable financial means, the likes of Germany, France, Italy and Spain for example.

And, as others have said, the breadth of our competitiveness across such a wide-range of disparate disciplines.

Agreed.

I’ve wondered if it’s to do with how much funding our athletes get in comparison to those nations but don’t particularly care if it is!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ben Maher in the individual showjumping gets gold in the jump-off.

That horse was so quick!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Please let's try and keep posts on this thread on the Olympics themselves rather than the views of a self-promoting professional polemist.

As Simster wrote yesterday:

"Hours of astounding world class sport and just as you think you could do with a change, along comes another sport. And then there's the back stories, and the emotion and drama in winning and losing. It's just an amazing spectacle."

That's much more worthy of our attention.

Yep, you're right – sorry about that. I won't mention him again.

Amazing day's action so far. Gutted for KJT, but hopefully she'll be back stronger in three years...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I love the Olympics, headlines about success first instead of constant doom and gloom, it feels like a holiday. It helps that team GB are doing so well. I hope there is someting done (covid allowing) where we can celerabrate all the achivments and show them how proud we are of them all.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Who are the remaining Team GB hopefuls? Laura Kenny? A bit more hope in the equestrian events?

It seems like our medals will dry up now but we're already ahead of the 14 golds anticipated at the start.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Who are the remaining Team GB hopefuls? Laura Kenny? A bit more hope in the equestrian events?

Yes, there's definitely a strong chance in Friday's Team Showjumping Final. And there's still Tom Daley in the 10m platform to come.

Here's 3 more medal prospects to watch.

Canoe Sprint - Liam Heath won gold in Rio. Fnished over a second clear of 2nd place in his 200m QF. Only sub-34 second run.

Boxing - ex-Welsh footballer, Lauren Price has a guaranteed bronze. She's got a tough middleweight SF against the current European champion.

Modern Pentathlon - very successful for GB in the past. We've got Jamie Cooke, 2018 World Champion and 2019 European champion.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Liam Heath didn't get a good start, but ended up with the bronze with a strong recovery.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd just like to point out how well the athletes are performing in what is frankly brutal conditions today. According to my thermometer and humidity measurer thing it's 36 degrees and 60% humidity.

Yes, I know some places are hotter, some are more humid and some are even hotter and more humid at the same time but none of them are hosting an elite world sporting event. Those athletes competing today have nothing but respect from me.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'd just like to point out how well the athletes are performing in what is frankly brutal conditions today. According to my thermometer and humidity measurer thing it's 36 degrees and 60% humidity.

Yes, I know some places are hotter, some are more humid and some are even hotter and more humid at the same time but none of them are hosting an elite world sporting event. Those athletes competing today have nothing but respect from me.

Don't think many people really appreciate how brutal summer is in Japan, particularly in Tokyo!
I know we are pasty brits but have met plenty of people from around the world who say the same.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good point…I spent a lot of time in Singapore and HK in summertime, it’s horrific. A 20 minute stroll to the office would leave me absolutely dripping with sweat. It’s incredible what they are doing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Keirin about to start……..mental event. They’ve replaced the old scooter with an e-bike, ridden by a bloke with a rucksack. It looks like a group of angry weekend warriors chasing a commuter :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Keirin about to start……..mental event. They’ve replaced the old scooter with an e-bike, ridden by a bloke with a rucksack. It looks like a group of angry weekend warriors chasing a commuter [emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:
[emoji38]ol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here