Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I see after all the fuss and controversy that trans lifter, Lauren Hubbard, didn’t even progress into the clean+jerk phase of the women’s heavyweight competition after she failed to register a snatch.

You could not make it up, could you?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I see after all the fuss and controversy that trans lifter, Lauren Hubbard, didn’t even progress into the clean+jerk phase of the women’s heavyweight competition after she failed to register a snatch.

You could not make it up, could you?

Over the weekend I'm positive I heard a commentator say "that's the biggest snatch I've seen at these Olympics"

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Must shamefully admit to being a follower of the medals table they don't show you. The biggest countries and the biggest teams with nothing at all.

Currently the leader board of no success in Tokyo (with a week to go) reads:

Kenya (85 athletes)
Chile (57 athletes)
Nigeria (52 athletes)

I was amazed to learn that Nigeria (population circa 212 million) has only won one individual gold medal - EVER.
And then again Nwankwo Kanu is also a Nigerian team gold medallist.

Nigeria drop off that table with a bronze in the women's long jump.

Have all the distance events been done? If not, Kenya will surely get one in one of them?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Danish knobend crashes into Brit in the team pursuit because he wasn’t looking where he was going, then screams at him as though it’s his fault……..

Danes were winning by miles so probably academic anyway, but Brits are protesting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Danish knobend crashes into Brit in the team pursuit because he wasn’t looking where he was going, then screams at him as though it’s his fault……..

Danes were winning by miles so probably academic anyway, but Brits are protesting.
That Dane has embarrassed himself in front of billions.

That said, if they're disqualified it will be somewhat of an embarrassment because the Danes have been a class above over the two days.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Followed by roaring "**** them".

Looked an absolute arse, quite frankly.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
That Warholm 400m hurdles was unbelievable. A ridiculous amount of time taken off the WR. A race for the ages.

More golds for GB in sailing - even after Ainslie, we're clearly still very good at that.

Looking forward to seeing McCormack hopefully take Gold in the Welterweight in less than an hour's time, and also to see how Biles fares.

And then there's the Sport Climbing - Speed, Bouldering and Lead - with the winner being the best of all 3 disciplines.

That'll be an education in itself.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Nigeria drop off that table with a bronze in the women's long jump.

Have all the distance events been done? If not, Kenya will surely get one in one of them?

Yes indeed Kenya got a couple of long distance athletics medals yesterday, Morocco won gold too.

The biggest teams with nothing yet are currently - Chile(57 competitors), Algeria (44) and Lithuania (41).

We take Olympic success for granted nowadays, although this wasn't always the case. Only 13 total medals in Montreal 1976, only 1 gold in Atlanta 1996. But so many countries have very little Olympic culture and a single medal is reason for national celebration. Not sure Chile will get anything now though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That Warholm 400m hurdles was unbelievable. A ridiculous amount of time taken off the WR. A race for the ages.

More golds for GB in sailing - even after Ainslie, we're clearly still very good at that.

Looking forward to seeing McCormack hopefully take Gold in the Welterweight in less than an hour's time, and also to see how Biles fares.

And then there's the Sport Climbing - Speed, Bouldering and Lead - with the winner being the best of all 3 disciplines.

I keep meaning to go and get some stuff done, but it’s a case of ‘ah, cycling, I’ll just watch this race……….’

……3 hours later, still watching :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Agree with all of that, especially the 400m hurdles. Incredible.

I can't understand anyone who doesn't like the Olympics. Hours of astounding world class sport and just as you think you could do with a change, along comes another sport. And then there's the back stories, and the emotion and drama in winning and losing. It's just an amazing spectacle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with all of that, especially the 400m hurdles. Incredible.

I can't understand anyone who doesn't like the Olympics. Hours of astounding world class sport and just as you think you could do with a change, along comes another sport. And then there's the back stories, and the emotion and drama in winning and losing. It's just an amazing spectacle.

100%. Pinnacle of sport.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I keep meaning to go and get some stuff done, but it’s a case of ‘ah, cycling, I’ll just watch this race……….’

……3 hours later, still watching :lolol::lolol::lolol:

I'm close to not knowing what day of the week it is.

If someone asked me, I'd probably reply 'Day 11'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here