Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mixed relays are just fantastic. The ONLY thing I wondered (in the current climate) is whether some dislike the fact that the men are obviously quicker than the women and this (weirdly) creates a bigger visual divide than have single sex races. For example the female swimming is clearly WORLD CLASS but Is made to look like a drowning seal by the MONSTER trying to catch her up.

Again, that's why I find it so brilliant to watch. I just wonder if the above is something people are aiming towards it as a potential criticism (where people can find criticism in almost anything).

Ultimately if the athletes are happy with it then that's all that matters.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Watched the Triathlon relay early hours what a fantastic race GB were leaders virtually throughout the race

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't care what people say. When I see an Olympian with the name Dong Dong I reserve the right to have a childish titter within the privacy of my own home.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Asher-Smith absolutely baring her soul in an interview now……….what a lovely, humble girl. She’ll be back.
Absolutely this.

You could tell how genuine her emotions and disappointment are.

She'll be 28 by the next Olympics, so I'm sure she'll be back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Asher-Smith absolutely baring her soul in an interview now……….what a lovely, humble girl. She’ll be back.

Agreed. Felt keeping the cameras on her whilst we was clearly breaking down was very insensitive.

Given her injury I can’t see her getting back to her best

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s only now that they’re in the Olympic stadium that the lack of crowds is really noticeable. Team mates, coaches and presumably journalists have been able to make some sort of atmosphere in the smaller arenas, but that’s not really possible in an empty 80,000 stadium!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I might lose interest if I was watching the whole thing live, but do love watching the men's discus. There's an elegance to the body and arms and legs all whirling around, like an elephant that's learnt to ride one of those tiny bicycles.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
why do the female athletes all have double barrel surnames?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really enjoying the Logan/Lewis/Johnson/Ennis-Hill presenting combo……….all engaging speakers, colossal amount of relevant experience and Logan stitching it all together really well.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
That 100m mixed medley swimming race was awesome! That was way more exciting than a standard relay.

Unfortunately at the same time the swimmers were winning gold the womens rugby 7's fell in the semis against the French.

Didn't see it live, nor on BBC this morning, but caught it on iPlayer - it was brilliant!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Saturday night - perfect for wallowing in a bit of Olympics coverage and we get……frigging Eventing FFS

BBC testing my patience with this one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
why do the female athletes all have double barrel surnames?
I think because a lot of them breakthrough when they are single so want to keep their more familiar maiden name when they get married, but want their partner's name added on, too.

It's been going on for years, as I was reminded earlier when watching a clip of Sanya Richards, before she added the 'Ross'. Flo-Jo before that.

Not sure why it's so common in athletics, though?

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
It’s only now that they’re in the Olympic stadium that the lack of crowds is really noticeable. Team mates, coaches and presumably journalists have been able to make some sort of atmosphere in the smaller arenas, but that’s not really possible in an empty 80,000 stadium!

My brother-in-law lives in Tokyo and works around the Olympics. He was saddened by the lack of any urgency rolling out the vaccination process in the knowledge this was coming. It’s so hierarchical getting a decision made.

Agree athletics more than any other sport is suffering because of the scale of that stunning, new, empty stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
And a bronze for Declan Brooks in the men's BMX freestyle.

That's two golds, a silver and a bronze in the BMX disciplines. Their funding's going to go through the roof!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here