[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Defenders that don't jump, a keeper that doesn't dive.

GB and Ellen White = Palace and Zaha. One-woman team.

Really piss poor from GB. Fair play to Australia.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been lured into staying up by 5 Live (I was listening at around10.30pm as its about the only time [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] isn't likely to be on) as they said the track and field starts tonight? But now I'm sitting up at twenty past midight watching frigging olympic handball?

The only consolation is that at least I know [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] will be GLUED to it.

Not last night. But the night before I started watching the badminton (Japan v China). It went to a tiebreaker, which took me through to gone 2am.

RIDICULOUS.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've just turned over from the women's football to the athletics and seen a mixed 4x400m relay race. When did that become a thing? Do they still do the men's and women's too? How about the 4 by 1's?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Put simplistically:

Rowing = a sport for posh kids and the elite at Oxbridge
BMX = what chavs do on council estates and the skate park.

Generally accurate, with some pretty large exceptions: Steve Redgrave = state educated, son of a builder and the daughter of a bus driver. Bethany Shriever worked as TA in a private school in Cambridge.

Jul 7, 2003
Only started watching towards the end of normal time but great game to watch. Fantastic save by the Aussie keeper from White followed by the penalty save (poor pen though) turned the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Generally accurate, with some pretty large exceptions: Steve Redgrave = state educated, son of a builder and the daughter of a bus driver. Bethany Shriever worked as TA in a private school in Cambridge.

I am generalising here, but there is an issue within Team GB about funding, about levelling up and access to resources. About one-third of GB medallists attended fee-paying schools and British medallists are four times more likely to have been privately educated that the general population.

There has been a lot more privately-educated kids moving into county cricket too, while the elitism in British tennis has been a scandal for years.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've just turned over from the women's football to the athletics and seen a mixed 4x400m relay race. When did that become a thing? Do they still do the men's and women's too? How about the 4 by 1's?

I got very confused by that in the swimming - 4 x 100m Mixed Relay.

It's the first year they've had that event, I believe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am generalising here, but there is an issue within Team GB about funding, about levelling up and access to resources. About one-third of GB medallists attended fee-paying schools and British medallists are four times more likely to have been privately educated that the general population.

There has been a lot more privately-educated kids moving into county cricket too, while the elitism in British tennis has been a scandal for years.

Before the lottery money, some of our competitors were in the armed forces. Basically, to be able to compete in most sports, you have to commit to training every day, full time.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I got very confused by that in the swimming - 4 x 100m Mixed Relay.

It's the first year they've had that event, I believe.

I like the idea of mixed relays. Nice to reward investment across both women and mens teams. Also going to see a mixed triathlon relay (Friday night? Saturday?) for the first time. Which is great as a spectator event, great in terms of the opportunity to show overall depth in the sport and, mainly, great because we will start as favorites for gold!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I like the idea of mixed relays. Nice to reward investment across both women and mens teams. Also going to see a mixed triathlon relay (Friday night? Saturday?) for the first time. Which is great as a spectator event, great in terms of the opportunity to show overall depth in the sport and, mainly, great because we will start as favorites for gold!

Yes, I like the idea that it brings tactics into it, a little more, and gives countries with a smaller squad a chance to get in amongst it.
It's surprising that they haven't tried it before now, as it adds a touch more excitement.
Good to know that we start as favourites, but we know how that can pan out....

SAC

May 21, 2014

I thought France were favourites? If all are fully recovered from the individual events we should be with a shout for a medal, fingers crossed it will be gold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's all broken down here: https://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/current-funding-figures

£24m+ go to each of athletics, cycling and rowing, with sailing only just behind.

Significant sums also to swimming, gymnastics, equestrian, hockey, canoeing and boxing.

So rowing does receive the most (~100k more than cycling).

I understand the strategy. It's all about the medals. Personally, I'd rather they pumped a bit more into sports with greater participation at grassroots level but that's a debate for another day. Then again, I enjoy a medal win whatever the sport.

A great achievement by the BMXers to do it without financialsupport from the powers that be though.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So rowing does receive the most (~100k more than cycling).

I understand the strategy. It's all about the medals. Personally, I'd rather they pumped a bit more into sports with greater participation at grassroots level but that's a debate for another day. Then again, I enjoy a medal win whatever the sport.

A great achievement by the BMXers to do it without financialsupport from the powers that be though.

I haven't done any reading, so hoping someone will either do it for me, or already knows.

Does the amount of funding that a sport gets only relate to success in terms of medals? Or is there a measurement of how much participation is increased, and how wide across society that participation is? There's a link between these of course, increased, and widened, participation will lead to medal success in time. And medals help inspire children to participate. But I'm hoping there's a balance of factors taken into account.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I haven't done any reading, so hoping someone will either do it for me, or already knows.

Does the amount of funding that a sport gets only relate to success in terms of medals? Or is there a measurement of how much participation is increased, and how wide across society that participation is? There's a link between these of course, increased, and widened, participation will lead to medal success in time. And medals help inspire children to participate. But I'm hoping there's a balance of factors taken into account.

I think they're pretty ruthless. Medals = funding.

A sport like basketball is not likely to win a medal any time soon so gets very little, even though lots of people play it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Can’t disagree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports