Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics: Puny Britain! Can't survive outside Europe?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
OP is right we are better off without the eu. need to get rid of the foriegners at the Albion to before i come back. . If we have a good spine of British players like Bruno, all you Tobys can do one.

#BrexitMeansBrexit

Regards

DR

:bowdown:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm giving all the credit to Sir John Major as he was the one who started the national lottery.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Because you're wrong?

Great Britain & Northern Ireland = The United Kingdom.

I've always wondered why we compete as "Team GB".

Indeed, and there is much annoyance in Northern Ireland.

My understanding is that we compete as Great Britain & Northern Ireland (Team GB) as the dependent territories are included. So both Team UK and Team GB would be an incorrect acronym.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Indeed, and there is much annoyance in Northern Ireland.

My understanding is that we compete as Great Britain & Northern Ireland (Team GB) as the dependent territories are included. So both Team UK and Team GB would be an incorrect acronym.

So would Rory McIlroy have competed for Team GB or ireland in the golf?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh dear, looks like the op has opened up some old wounds.

Not difficult.
These wounds are very recent, are still open and gaping and will take a long time, if ever, to heal. Why on earth someone has tried to use the feelgood factor of Olympic success to sneer at those who genuinely voted for something they believed in, is beyond me. Its either a massive wind-up or pure stupidity.
Cheap point-scoring isn't clever. It just stirs up people who are feeling resentful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So would Rory McIlroy have competed for Team GB or ireland in the golf?
He was due to compete for Ireland. 29 athletes from Northern Ireland are competing for Ireland at Rio.
What? He's from Northern Ireland, the UK, so why would he be competing for another country?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Mo Farah (Somalia) , Chris Froome (Kenya), Tiffany Porter ('merica), Cindy Ofili ('merica), Shara Proctor (Anguilla) All in Team GB

Not sure i agree with us cheating and having all these johny foreigners in Team GB.
Shouldnt we have Brits only in the team?
I suppose thats what happens when you allow a German on the throne.......this sort of nonsense will eventually filter down.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What? He's from Northern Ireland, the UK, so why would he be competing for another country?

Golf is all-Ireland at amateur level and he'd always competed for Ireland before. The Good Friday agreement and dual citizenship and all that comes into play too, as well as governing bodies of sports being all-Ireland.

Barry McGuigan competed for Northern Ireland at the commonwealth games and the Moscow Olympics for Ireland as the Irish Amateur Boxing Association is all-Ireland too for example. A fair few boxers have done that. Rugby Union, Cricket, Hockey, David Cup tennis - a lot of sports are all-Ireland.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Meanwhile the pound continues to fall, pension funds crumble, investment is on hold and jobs are exiting quicker than immigrants are entering.

We won some medals though.

Pension funds crumble! Are you f'ing joking? Mine was up by 6% in July and has continued to increase in value through August. You are off your trolley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here