Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Ticket Watch

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a very confusing system. The degree of difficulty is such that you should get an Olympic medal just for finishing the damn thing.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what kind of ticketing system was used for the 2008 Games in Beijing? Did they have all this performance to contend with as well?

Don't know about Beijing, but apparantly the Sydney Olympics was done the same way as this is being done.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has there been any discussion about whether re-sale of Olympics tix will be illegal like football tickets are?

If not, it's going to be an eBay binfest to all ticketing binfests.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seems so...

In a recent meeting of National Olympic Committee delegates in Acapulco, Mexico, LOCOG Chairman Lord Sebastian Coe remarked, "The reputational damage for everyone across the board is huge if the tickets are on the black market and in the hands of touts. It is illegal to sell an Olympic ticket and we will enforce this rigorously."

London's Metropolitan Police are employing a special unit, Operation Podium, to go after the touts, and some of their resale sites have already been shut down. Other commercial sites are far from immune to the investigation's reach, with Olympics officials already in conversation with sites like eBay about removing ticket listings from its pages.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Decided we have to go to the Olympics as they are in London so just booked

2 x Volleyball
2 x Judo

One at the excel and one at Earls court. Both on Sunday 29th July so a day out in London and with 2 1/4 hours between events hope we can get between venus OK. If more Athletics tickets go on sale next year will try and get some of those as thats what we really wanted, but was toooo slow this morning (or too lazy to get up at 6am actually!!)

Has there been any discussion about whether re-sale of Olympics tix will be illegal like football tickets are?

According to the terms and conditions, yes it's illegal.

17. Transfer, resale and use of Tickets

17.1 Tickets shall not be purchased or obtained from or through any Person other than directly from LOCOG or an ATR. Tickets purchased or obtained from or through Persons other than directly from LOCOG or an ATR and otherwise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions shall be VOID and may be SEIZED or CANCELLED WITHOUT REFUND OR ENTRY TO A SESSION.17.2Save as set out at clauses 17.3 and 17.4 below, Tickets are STRICTLY NON-TRANSFERABLE and MUST NOT BE SOLD nor advertised for sale whether on the internet, in newspapers or elsewhere.17.3If more than one Ticket is issued to a Purchaser, those Tickets may only be used by the Purchaser and a family member, friend or colleague who is known to the Purchaser personally and who is intended to accompany the Purchaser to a Session.

17.4 Tickets may be transferred by a Purchaser to a third party via the London 2012 Ticket Resale Scheme. The transfer of a Ticket via the London 2012 Ticket Resale Scheme shall not contravene clauses 17.1 and 17.2.

17.7 All Ticket Holders are advised that, under s.31 of the London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006, it is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to sell a Ticket in a public place or in the course of business and otherwise than in accordance with the authorisation of LOCOG. Ticket Holders are referred to London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006.

Terms and conditions of ticket purchase

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Shambles

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't bother with round 2 because I struck gold in the first round.

When I say 'struck gold' I mean I got one set of tickets out of 25-30 applied for and, as such, are deemed b LOCOG to be such a WINNER that I can't take place in round 2 until such time as there is nothing left.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Decided to go up for the day for the Marathon or something, walk around the Olympic park, take in the atmosphere. Only expensive tickets left, and I'm not paying £60 each to watch Judo...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I didn't bother with round 2 because I struck gold in the first round.

When I say 'struck gold' I mean I got one set of tickets out of 25-30 applied for and, as such, are deemed b LOCOG to be such a WINNER that I can't take place in round 2 until such time as there is nothing left.

Snap - and it was tickets to football so not even a real Olympic venue

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Snap - and it was tickets to football so not even a real Olympic venue

Same here, going to the women's football final has deemed me a SATISFIED customer...

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Already have £200+ worth of tickets, but one set is watching Hockey in the morning, and there's a prelim match at Wembley that evening, but only £45 tickets left. Which is annoying as I've got some 2 matches for £20 tickets. Might make sense for me to make a day out of it. Tempting. But it'll either end up being the two worse teams, or if I don't go for them, team GB.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Already have £200+ worth of tickets, but one set is watching Hockey in the morning, and there's a prelim match at Wembley that evening, but only £45 tickets left. Which is annoying as I've got some 2 matches for £20 tickets. Might make sense for me to make a day out of it. Tempting. But it'll either end up being the two worse teams, or if I don't go for them, team GB.

A guy at work has got a load of tickets but apparently the basketball and handball matches he's got clash with each other so he can only go to one of them. Apparently there is no concept of event clashes during the ticket allocation process :facepalm:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A guy at work has got a load of tickets but apparently the basketball and handball matches he's got clash with each other so he can only go to one of them. Apparently there is no concept of event clashes during the ticket allocation process :facepalm:

Isn't a computer still inferior to the human brain, there was only about six weeks to plan which tickets to apply for

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
We got up early and it took 35mins to get tickets processed very frustrating system ! Have got the confirmation email just hope we are lucky and get something this time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Basically, this has already gone along the lines of previous football World Cups - big scary threats to start with, then admissions that it cannot be enforced.

The authorities will certainly be very active against tout companies who actually market their activities in the open.

But if you buy one from someone else, they have already admitted they won't be checking ID as you enter the venue (it would take hours if you did, and is totally impractical).

No ID check = big black market.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here