Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver norwood

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Kayal is going to have to work very hard to win his place back with Norwood, Sidwell and Stephens all playing so well recently. Norwood's passing was excellent today, much more suited to our style of play at home.

Yep I agree. Norwood looks great in a winning team. Away from home however Siddy is often the better option, especially if we want to set up a bit more defensively.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
With Norwood March and Knockaert we are a bit 'light' in midfield in my opinion, we can get away with it against poor opposition like today. Today's team put a big onus on Stephens, more than I would be comfortable with on any sort of regular basis
I agree with lightweight but they worked well. Did not think QPR were bad,intact one of the better teams. Hardworking and good passing and pressed us hard but without being physical. Against Wednesday or Newcastle they might get pushed aside.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hope you're right but given # of games in ten day window expect CH to mix up for this game and not Fulham.

I think we could see a few changes on Friday night. I think we will see a fair few changes with games starting to come thick and fast now.

Maybe two or three of Pocognolli, Sidwell, Murphy, Skalak, and Hemed, starting. I might also have added Goldson to that list, but with Dunk on the verge of a two game ban, his chance will come soon enough anyway.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I agree with lightweight but they worked well. Did not think QPR were bad,intact one of the better teams. Hardworking and good passing and pressed us hard but without being physical. Against Wednesday or Newcastle they might get pushed aside.

Think the majority of players are barely getting out of about third gear ATM. Absolutely no need to compete more.
They'll up it when needed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ran baldock close for mom and picked out people in wide areas with some incredible long distance accurate passes. Best game in an Albion shirt today

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think against Newcastle, or the Sheffield Msssive, Sidwell might get the nod over Norwood to start in midfield. I fancy we will set up a little more defensively against many of the stronger teams.

Don't forget that Kayal should be back sooner rather than later too, to bolster our midfield options.

Definately though, I think it should always be Stephens plus one of the above who starts in centre midfield. For as long as Stephens is at the club, we should always play him in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stephens is not lightweight. He might be when compared to Duffy but, then again, who isn't?
I don't think Stephens is lightweight, as such.
Previously I've struggled to define why he doesn't quite click with me, the best I've come up with is he's just not alpha.

That to me is why him and Kayal are absolutely perfect together, and why Beram is the loss we all (unnecessarily) pooped ourselves about.

I thought Norwood's passing and movement was superb today, if we have to have a MotM he was mine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mad that we've gone from completely relying on KK to KK needing to fight to get his place back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we could see a few changes on Friday night. I think we will see a fair few changes with games starting to come thick and fast now.

Maybe two or three of Pocognolli, Sidwell, Murphy, Skalak, and Hemed, starting. I might also have added Goldson to that list, but with Dunk on the verge of a two game ban, his chance will come soon enough anyway.

Murray was taken off nice and early, which makes me think he'll start again Friday. Possibly Murphy for March, though Solly played well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
His partnership with Stephens is going very well. The both of them allow us to keep possession and use the ball very constructively. We're able to knock the ball around in free flow thanks to having 2 centre-midfielders whose main attributes are passing. The last 15/20 minutes of the game was a midfield masterpiece of 2 touch passing and wonderful vision. It was sublime to watch.

I really hope Stephens sign a contract extension.

Passing excellent BUT the pairing is a bit light as when they had their spells of ascendancy felt we were lacking Sidwell's bite in the tackle.

Cardiff will cause them more problems so I would expect CH to maybe change things up.

Agree with both. We went through a phase for 20 mins in first half of not picking up the second balls at all - something Kayal does so well. But at the same time Stephen's & Norwood both had terrific games. Loving the rotation. But not gonna forget Kayal is our best player / one of our best players for sure!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree with both. We went through a phase for 20 mins in first half of not picking up the second balls at all - something Kayal does so well. But at the same time Stephen's & Norwood both had terrific games. Loving the rotation. But not gonna forget Kayal is our best player / one of our best players for sure!

Agreed. I think the issue was their extra man. Neither Stephens or Norwood were at fault, they just overran us a bit. Whatever it was, Hughton sorted it at half time and that was our best half in a while in my view.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed. I think the issue was their extra man. Neither Stephens or Norwood were at fault, they just overran us a bit. Whatever it was, Hughton sorted it at half time and that was our best half in a while in my view.

I swear in recent games Hughton keeps having a huge affect with his team talks. Fulham recently for one and today as well. He really is a top, top manager.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I swear in recent games Hughton keeps having a huge affect with his team talks. Fulham recently for one and today as well. He really is a top, top manager.

Absolutely. Fulham and today are two very good examples. His substitutions changed the game at Birmingham too. We are so lucky to have him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here