Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Older Dads

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
just turned 50 and my youngest is 8. school runs I sometimes feel it particularly when it's predominantly mums with their distinct social groups many of the dads are early to mid 40s though and have gained some friends through it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Found out quite recently that I am expecting my second child, all going well he/she will arrive a few months after my 41st birthday.

Genuinely didn't think i'd have the chance again at 40 and am over the moon but naturally a bit worried about being the older Dad in the playground. My Dad was 45 when he had me and it definitely bothered him more than it did me!

Any other 'older' Dad's out there have any tips or experiences?
Congratulations

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Genuine question and I speak to mates about this, do you worry about the world your kids are going to grow up in? If you believe people like Attenborough there might not be much left in 20 years..

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Christ when opening the thread I thought it was going to about someone at 60+ having a kid not 41!!
Far from old

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Genuine question and I speak to mates about this, do you worry about the world your kids are going to grow up in? If you believe people like Attenborough there might not be much left in 20 years..
That’s a tuff one, yes I do, I can envisage wars about air, water, never mind religion.
If I think to deep about it, I feel guilty for helping bringing her into this environment and that hurts, it truly does.

To counter that, this generation, certainly here in B Town are far more socially and ecologically more aware, don’t seem tied down to religious or political dogma and are willing to challenge the status quo.

Wether that counter balances the rest of the world enough to save it, I doubt, but I know she had heart in the right place.

I hope nothing terrible happens to her, just like any parent would.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That’s a tuff one, yes I do, I can envisage wars about air, water, never mind religion.
If I think to deep about it, I feel guilty for helping bringing her into this environment and that hurts, it truly does.

To counter that, this generation, certainly here in B Town are far more socially and ecologically more aware, don’t seem tied down to religious or political dogma and are willing to challenge the status quo.

Wether that counter balances the rest of the world enough to save it, I doubt, but I know she had heart in the right place.

I hope nothing terrible happens to her, just like any parent would.
I don't think I can risk it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I wouldn’t take any notice of Attenborough, he’s spent 50+ years flying around the world filming animals shagging and now wants to bang on about climate change :moo: :smile:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn’t take any notice of Attenborough, he’s spent 50+ years flying around the world filming animals shagging and now wants to bang on about climate change :moo: :smile:
Fair point.
Message on checkatrade at midnight last night.
"Hi, we're wanting to get our bathroom done in the first week of January. We've had some quotes ranging from £600 - £1200, could you send a quote via email"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I take the viewpoint that my children will more enlightened than our generation and ensure they make less of an impact on the planet.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
39 when my daughter arrived. The only problem was school sportsday when I was the oldest bloke in the Dads' race! Luckily she wasn't embarrassed as I trailed in last each year, apart from the time that my similarly aged mate fell over and broke his leg. Somewhat unsportingly I leapt over his prostrate body thereby not coming in last for the first and only time! The trouble was that I was 15 - 20 years older than most of the other Dads, and that made a hell of a difference! Apart from that, my daughter, now 28, is a life-long Albion fan, and still goes with me to games, having started by going to Reserve games when they played at Woodside Road. She's married to a nice guy whose only fault is being a Gooner.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
41 and 44 for my two kids.

I am 50 next year and knackered! Need to sort out my fitness situation to keep up.

Like others have said, keeps you young.

My Mum and Dad had me at 40 too, they def stayed young and were totally with it up until they passed away in their late 80’s.

Just wish I had more energy!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Had my first daughter at 26 and second at 43. Can honestly say that being older, I was (and still am) there for my youngest much more than I was for my oldest. Yes now I'm 60 and she's nearly 17 I don't have the energy I had, but I am much more mature and spend a lot more 'quality' time with my youngest than I did with my eldest. Like going to watch Brighton game.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
39 when my daughter arrived. The only problem was school sportsday when I was the oldest bloke in the Dads' race! Luckily she wasn't embarrassed as I trailed in last each year, apart from the time that my similarly aged mate fell over and broke his leg. Somewhat unsportingly I leapt over his prostrate body thereby not coming in last for the first and only time! The trouble was that I was 15 - 20 years older than most of the other Dads, and that made a hell of a difference! Apart from that, my daughter, now 28, is a life-long Albion fan, and still goes with me to games, having started by going to Reserve games when they played at Woodside Road. She's married to a nice guy whose only fault is being a Gooner.
I entered the Father's day race at my daughter's school, by pure coincidence I had the day off and spent the morning in the Gym and rocked up in my Gym gear and trainers and actually won! ..beating the young whippersnappers who were, on the whole, a good 10-15:years younger than me, she was so delighted,as was I, especially when I got a sticker with "1st." on it! I have to confess that I did run in competitions for the Worthing Harriers back in the day...

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Found out quite recently that I am expecting my second child, all going well he/she will arrive a few months after my 41st birthday.

Genuinely didn't think i'd have the chance again at 40 and am over the moon but naturally a bit worried about being the older Dad in the playground. My Dad was 45 when he had me and it definitely bothered him more than it did me!

Any other 'older' Dad's out there have any tips or experiences?
I became a dad for the first and only time at the age of 45. She's now nearly 18 and going through the process of applying for uni. I have loved every minute of it. My only regret is that , despite my early attempts, she has zero interest in football or the Albion😞

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I became a dad for the first and only time at the age of 45. She's now nearly 18 and going through the process of applying for uni. I have loved every minute of it. My only regret is that , despite my early attempts, she has zero interest in football or the Albion😞
We are very similar. I started taking my daughter to Fulham at the age of about 4 and got a ST for both of us a couple of years later which we've had ever since. Her attendance has dropped to a couple of games / season & I'm wondering what to do when she goes to University.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
No, I don't worry about that. Think of the world our parents/ grandparents grew up in. Last century had 2 world wars and depressions/recessions. The world's apparently been going to pot for centuries. Your kids will be just fine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here