Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Shoreham road closure

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Still closed between upper drive and dyke road, this section alone must have been shut for months now - surely they're still not just putting in the cycle lanes?
Scandalously slow if so, considering the congestion it's causing elsewhere.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
The thing that p!sses me off is to when Japan had that really bad tsunami they fixed all the roads and got back to normal 'life' in a matter of months yet here it takes just as much time to put a poxy bike lane in that will not get used that much & which is also payed by people who drive cars and not ride bikes.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
bloody annoys me - making 50% of the road a cylcle lane - and the same for the lewes rd - the greens are a disaster FFS Lucas!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Walked along there yesterday actually, they're just starting on the north side of the road, the south seems fairly done. There are a couple of crossings marked out to go in as well though. Probably another 6 months of work left to do. And all for no benefit at all. Very few cyclists use the lanes on Grand Avenue and the Drive. I would expect the Old Shoreham Road lanes to be berter used, but even then I doubt it will justify the work being done and the problems being caused elsewhere.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You do wonder why it takes so long for roadworks to get done in this country, as far as I can work out the typical routine is:

Cone people arrive and close the road
-- 2 week gap --
Diggers arrive to dig up the road
-- 2 week gap --
Workmen arrive to actually do stuff
-- 2 week gap --
Tarmac arrives to fill in the holes
-- 2 week gap --
Cone people come back and re-open the road
-- 6 week gap --
Lines get painted

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bloody annoys me - making 50% of the road a cylcle lane - and the same for the lewes rd - the greens are a disaster FFS Lucas!

I wondered who the first person to grizzle at the Greens would be.

In this instance, Old Shoreham Road's cycle lanes are down to the Conservatives - FFS Weatherley! Still at least we're only paying for half of it.

By all means grizzle at the Greens for Lewes Road if it makes you feel better though...

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I'm a car user and an occasional cyclist, and i do broadly support better conditions for cyclists, i just can't understand why there seems to be no urgency whatsoever to get this main road re-opened a.s.a.p.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Walked along there yesterday actually, they're just starting on the north side of the road, the south seems fairly done. There are a couple of crossings marked out to go in as well though. Probably another 6 months of work left to do. And all for no benefit at all. Very few cyclists use the lanes on Grand Avenue and the Drive. I would expect the Old Shoreham Road lanes to be berter used, but even then I doubt it will justify the work being done and the problems being caused elsewhere.

The Grand Avenue cycle lane on the western side is one of the most dangerous and also pointless part of any local road network. Because of where the cars are parked, they hide cyclists between the road, the several driveways and the pavement. When cars turn left into the drives they are doing so as they entering a lottery in hitting or not hitting a cyclist. This is obviously made much worse at night. Secondly in the three years i have lived in that area i have only seen a handful of cyclists use the lane (after speaking to one as to why they use the road, he replied 'its safer as cars know where you are!'). A zillion pounds of money completely wasted...not the greens tho as it was built before they came in.

:rant::censored:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The Grand Avenue cycle lane on the western side is one of the most dangerous and also pointless part of any local road network. Because of where the cars are parked, they hide cyclists between the road, the several driveways and the pavement. When cars turn left into the drives they are doing so as they entering a lottery in hitting or not hitting a cyclist. This is obviously made much worse at night. Secondly in the three years i have lived in that area i have only seen a handful of cyclists use the lane (after speaking to one as to why they use the road, he replied 'its safer as cars know where you are!'). A zillion pounds of money completely wasted...not the greens tho as it was built before they came in.

It's also ruined the most iconic, beautiful road in Hove.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I wondered who the first person to grizzle at the Greens would be.

In this instance, Old Shoreham Road's cycle lanes are down to the Conservatives - FFS Weatherley! Still at least we're only paying for half of it.

By all means grizzle at the Greens for Lewes Road if it makes you feel better though...

to be honest all politicians are cnuts.....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was up there today and the only advantage is that it's so easy to cross OSR to BAHSVIC.

Seems no urgency at all. You would have thought, with the road totally closed, they'ed crack on & do it.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Don't get why they couldn't just put a two way cycle lane on the East bound side of the Old Shoreham Road.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The thing that p!sses me off is to when Japan had that really bad tsunami they fixed all the roads and got back to normal 'life' in a matter of months yet here it takes just as much time to put a poxy bike lane in that will not get used that much & which is also payed by people who drive cars and not ride bikes.

That's a bit extreme.

I don't think I know anyone in Brighton that owns a bike, but doesn't own at least one car. There seems to be a common misconception that anyone with a peddle bike does not have a car. All of my cycling friends have a car or two between them and their loved ones.

Got back to normal 'life'? I'm not quite sure comparing a natural disaster with roadworks is overly sensible. I am sure that Brighton can survive with a road closed for a few months.

Presumably not all roads in Japan were fixed immediatly. I'd imagine that major highways were fixed with the help of the army and what-have-you. I'm certain that if a public road in Brighton was destroyed, then we would move quickly to fix it. I'm sure Japan also suffers from long term projects.

Not the end of the world. If delays are expected then leave a bit earlier.

I'm also perplexed as to how people can claim that these cycle lanes are rarely used. Short of sitting there for a prolonged period during the different seasons/holidays, it seems to be a lazy generalisation. I was up at Devil's Dyke on Saturday for three hours and saw approximately 5 people unknown to me. I'd imagine that it not a mean number of visitors.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That small section has been cordoned off since early January.

The contractor, to make it worthwhile, even if fixed price, must have got a fantastically high price from the very non-commercial bureaucrats.

Always a lot of plant, workers, supervisors, and supervisors supervising them, on site.

Public money ... an easy touch.

I'm all for cycle lanes if they get used, but the protracted incompetence in carrying out these small works, and the knock on effect on the entire West and North West of the city every rush hour, is incredible.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i believe the cycle lanes are funded/part funded by European grants ......but no compensation for those caught up in traffic jam in OSR, Shirley drive, etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I see it several times every day. It is rarely used. A £m of hard earned money down the drain.

99% of cyclists in that part of Hove, and there are a lot, are doing east-west rides. That would make sense, with journeys being radial from the centre of the conurbation, Brighton city centre.

An amazing cock up by the Council. Just a guessed project, but no doubt wealthy consultants recommended it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here