Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old programmes - keep or chuck?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A long overdue cleaning purge of my study and shelves tonight, which has been a largely miserable experience.

I have actually decided to get rid of the vast bulk of my programmes going back to 1980, but there are one or two that are harder to ditch.

Just been looking at two from the same week, arguably the worst week in Brighton's playing history. Sudbury Town (from the Doc Martens) FA Cup replay on Tue Nov 26th 1996 - and then Darlo on Tue 3rd Dec 1996, when we lost 3-2 and went 9 points adrift at the bottom.

Maybe I should keep these two on the wall to look at every time someone misses another chance that would take us sixth in the Championship...

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Keep them - its a great reminder of how bad things once were, and how far weve come. Ive also got the Sudbury Town prog....I'l never forget paying at the North Stand end, and the blokes in front of me were saying "£7 ?" "Yeah... a pound a goal.." before the game. In fact, once the game kicked off, you couldnt tell the the Doc Martins team from the team in the Football League (just).... it was embarressing. You just knew how the penalty shootout was going to go too.... Awful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in the middle of a huge house clearance myself and had exactly the same dilemma. I decided to get rid of all my program's going back to '92 ('77 to '89 are at my fathers-I will get shot of these at some point as well) as well as all my replica shirts from same period. Personally I can't see any value in keeping them, especially when most of them have not been touched since they were purchased.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I have both 28/11/73 and 1/12/73,went to both games,and regard THIS as the worst 4 days I've had as an Albion fan.

Rebox your old programmes,and store them lovingly away.At sometime in the future your family will thank great grandad,Lord luvim.

I remember my first wife giving my 1950s/60s programmes to a Scout jumble collector.Took me a long time to regather them,and some expense.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't chuck them without checking on here! I think there are a few poster who collect them and would take them off your hands.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Chuck them out - it'll make mine more valuable!!

(not really) - Keep them, future generations will thank you for them.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm in the middle of a huge house clearance myself and had exactly the same dilemma. I decided to get rid of all my program's going back to '92 ('77 to '89 are at my fathers-I will get shot of these at some point as well) as well as all my replica shirts from same period. Personally I can't see any value in keeping them, especially when most of them have not been touched since they were purchased.

One day you will say" I wish i had kept all those programmes" I did.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You absolutely HAVE to keep them. Get rid of life's fripperies such as other family members, televisions, fridges etc before you even think of putting such valuable historical resources into landfill. Please, get a grip before you do something silly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here