Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I used to work on the West pier amusements in the holidays on the kids rides, massive bouncy castle thing and the motor boats. The "pond" used to get drained at the start of the season, bottom full of sludge, found a huge whole stinky rotting cod that somebody decide to dump in there, plus other unsavoury items We would share out the loose change that had dropped in from punters pockets, which usual counted up to a reasonable sum for a young lad in those days. The motors on the boats had a shear pin, so if they were revved to hard, the pin would shear, engine making lots of noise, boat going nowhere. Like heros we would jump across the boats to save the mostly red faced lads and their peeved arm candy. Spent hours replacing those shear pins!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I used to work on the West pier amusements in the holidays on the kids rides, massive bouncy castle thing and the motor boats. The "pond" used to get drained at the start of the season, bottom full of sludge, found a huge whole stinky rotting cod that somebody decide to dump in there, plus other unsavoury items We would share out the loose change that had dropped in from punters pockets, which usual counted up to a reasonable sum for a young lad in those days. The motors on the boats had a shear pin, so if they were revved to hard, the pin would shear, engine making lots of noise, boat going nowhere. Like heros we would jump across the boats to save the mostly red faced lads and their peeved arm candy. Spent hours replacing those shear pins!
There was a boating lake further west past the King Alfred where the boat had internal engines not like those outboard looking ones. I can still smell the exhaust fumes!
Unless of course my memory fails me.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
There was a boating lake further west past the King Alfred where the boat had internal engines not like those outboard looking ones. I can still smell the exhaust fumes!
I think you may right, but at the lagoon Hove?
I seem to remember that it was divided into two parts, one for model boats and the other for some wooden motor boats.
Again as you, I may be wrong.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Indeed the boats next to the west pier had external mounted engines, if I remember correctly, I was one of the few who did not drop an engine into the lake when having to remove it to replace the shearing pin.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I think you may right, but at the lagoon Hove?
I seem to remember that it was divided into two parts, one for model boats and the other for some wooden motor boats.
Again as you, I may be wrong.
You are not wrong - you are correct (y)

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Indeed the boats next to the west pier had external mounted engines, if I remember correctly, I was one of the few who did not drop an engine into the lake when having to remove it to replace the shearing pin.
boating lake.JPG

Jul 7, 2003
That'll be the Spurs game when the away fans broke out of the pen. I was only 9 years old and down in the south end of the West terrace but remember my dad getting ready to pick me up and get clear if the Spurs fans had got much closer.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That'll be the Spurs game when the away fans broke out of the pen. I was only 9 years old and down in the south end of the West terrace but remember my dad getting ready to pick me up and get clear if the Spurs fans had got much closer.
They got into the north and forced fans into the chicken wire fence in the north west corner. How it didn’t collapse and cause fatalities I’ll never know and be forever grateful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here