NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Me and 5 mates are looking to go to Oktoberfest this year, just wondering if anyones been and if anyone has tips on where to stay - we want to do it as cheap as possible!! Flights don't appear to be an issue - about £60 each, but VERY hard to find anywhere cheap to stay!!!! Also, what sort of money are you looking at over a long weekend (Fri-Tues)? I'm budgeting for about £600 inc flights and board - is this too little?? I thought I would ask the all knowledgable brain trust that is NSC as I'm sure there are many other like minded beer and lederhosen affecionado's on here :D

I was in Munich last week, staying with German friends and you have absolutely no chance of finding accommodation this late.

We were told that over 5,000,000 people go to Munich for Oktoberfest but the number of hotel beds in the city is in the tens of thousands. You can see the problem, the maths isn't difficult!

Your best bet for cheap accommodation (and what most people do) is take a tent and find somewhere to pitch it, or just take a sleeping bag and sleep rough in one of the many parks in the city (Munich has loads of parkland).

Munich as a city is amazing, the answer to almost every question about Munich's history is beer. A traditional Bavarian breakfast even includes it (Weissburg and Wiessbeer),

People do get stupidly drunk at Oktoberfest, apparently last year among the many lost things left behind by revellers were walking sticks, wheelchairs (seems beer does work miracles) and over 50 children! Yes, 50 children were accidentally left behind in Munich last year at Oktoberfest...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People do get stupidly drunk at Oktoberfest, apparently last year among the many lost things left behind by revellers were walking sticks, wheelchairs (seems beer does work miracles) and over 50 children! Yes, 50 children were accidentally left behind in Munich last year at Oktoberfest...

I used to work with someone who was paramedic at the Oktoberfest. He told me the festival has the same medical aid status at a war zone and an emergency disaster all rolled into one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was exaggerating .............

He explained it quite well and it seemed plausible. From what I recall the equivalent war zone level is a status when you have many more casualties than staff. And the emergency disaster thing is when they had the power to use local school halls as field hospitals. He wasn't suggesting people with blown off limbs and bullet wounds were being treated, more to do with the sheer volume of casualties which were mainly fractured/broken limbs and drunkeness.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He explained it quite well and it seemed plausible. From what I recall the equivalent war zone level is a status when you have many more casualties than staff. And the emergency disaster thing is when they had the power to use local school halls as field hospitals. He wasn't suggesting people with blown off limbs and bullet wounds were being treated, more to do with the sheer volume of casualties which were mainly fractured/broken limbs and drunkeness.

The bit that surprised me was the 5m + visitors, seems an outrageous amount, yeah I knew what your colleague was saying, was just me being a pratt !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here