Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oktoberfest - Munich

8ft_legs

Mar 2, 2009
Tun Wells
My friend and I are going to go to Oktoberfest this year, just the two of us, we have done a little research online but would like to hear from anyone that has been.
So I'm putting it out there to the great knowledge that is NSC to give us any helpful tips or information....

As a side note I'm hoping to get to an 1860 Munich game the weekend we are there!

Thanks in advance

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
you will be tempted to go on the five ringed roller coaster.

for the love of god i urge you to do this at the beginning of the day and not when you have 50 litres of fizzy german pop inside you

8ft_legs

Mar 2, 2009
Tun Wells
My head says this is common sense, but I'm sure after a few BIG beers it will seem a good idea regardless!!

We are also camping so if anyone could advise what the weather is likely to be doing I would be gratefull! ( I appreciate I am being lazy and not using google, but its better to hear from someone who has been)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Im planning on going as well but can't find anywhere to stay. We were going to fly to Berlin atop there a few days then train down to Munich. Are all the camp sites full up?

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Group of us flying out 27th sep, renting a house just outside Munich for 4 days as it was loads cheaper than staying central, 1860 are at home that weekend too should be easy to get tickets as they only average 22,000 in the allianz arena.

8ft_legs

Mar 2, 2009
Tun Wells
Group of us flying out 27th sep, renting a house just outside Munich for 4 days as it was loads cheaper than staying central, 1860 are at home that weekend too should be easy to get tickets as they only average 22,000 in the allianz arena.

We will be heading out on the train from calais to munich on the 27th so was planning on the saturday 1860 game.

was more looking to find out about oktoberfest itself, we have organised transport and accomodation at a reasonable price, but wondering what to expect from the festival itself....

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
We will be heading out on the train from calais to munich on the 27th so was planning on the saturday 1860 game.

was more looking to find out about oktoberfest itself, we have organised transport and accomodation at a reasonable price, but wondering what to expect from the festival itself....

None of us going have been before either so not got a clue!!! There's a few websites which give basic info And I've spoken to a few who have been and they loved it!!!
Not really sure what to expect really other than trying to drink litres and litres of German beer!!! :)

you will be tempted to go on the five ringed roller coaster.

for the love of god i urge you to do this at the beginning of the day and not when you have 50 litres of fizzy german pop inside you

Having been with a group who didn't heed this excellent advice and witnessed the extreme mess caused I would really urge you to do as he says!!

Other than that just have a great time

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I went over to Oktoberfest in 2005 with a group of mates. Fantastic - everyone is so friendly, the beer is great and we all had a fantastic time. Just been looking over the photos we took and it's made me want to go again!

Maybe next year?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I have been to 3 Beerfests although back in the 90s and it is one hell of an experience. Be prepared for large crowds to the point it can very difficult to get into the beer tents later in the day so get there early and get a table.
Have also camped 1 year and the weather was not too bad at all sunny reasonably warm.
you will probably want to get out and about in the evenings as the fest will be heaving after work so head into town and check out some of the other sights/beer halls. Also worth taking in a beer or 2 in the English Gardens (big park) if the weather is good.
Plenty to do in Munich its a great city.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I went several years ago, and had a great time.

Worth mentioning that they will only serve you a beer if you are at a table, its not prop the bar up English style. But once you get a beer, climb on the bench and join the party.

Also, don't expect different types of beer, as at a British Beer Festival, each of the main Munich breweries run a hall and its their beer they sell in there.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

Im guessing that from the festival you can expect some beer and some very drunk people, only a guess though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here