Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ok, please explain how ‘free’ football works using Firestick or equivalent?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No idea but the OP thought it was a great idea to ask how to break the law on a public forum with a prominent poster who works for the Police. Is this "Taking Back Control"? We get to pick and choose the laws we decide to break and flaunt the fact. Not like the UK Government would do ..... Oh.

I did a bit of law as part of my degree and remember the difference between crime and tort.
From what I remember the police are not in the least bit interested in tort [civil law], their job is to uphold public laws [aka crime].
What I don't know [for sure] is whether watching a [contract-breaking] stream [or any source of entertainment] is a crime or a tort.
But with "law of six" now a crime with a £200 fine [x 7+ = £1,400+ minimum per incident] I think it might be obvious where any spare resource capacity of the folk in blue may be deployed for the foreseeable ....

In fact, the police only engage with torts after a Judge has made a judgement in favour of one party and the other party has not obeyed - crime becomes contempt of court?
So, watching a dodgy stream will require a private prosecution first [tort] before police may get involved.

Happy to be corrected on any of this as I'm not a trained solicitor / barrister.
More info here

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I wasn't taking the moral high ground - I just find the amount of people willing to brazenly admit to breaking the law on a public forum quite scary. And if you pay money to do it, you are likely funding some very unsavoury characters.

Thing is, especially this year, we all break the law in some way or another - I'm sure most of us have broken the speed limit, popped in to someone's house over the last few months when they shouldn't have done etc etc. Everyone has a moral compass that dictates their behaviour, rather more than strict adherence to law.

We've find ourselves with an extreme and twisted version of capitalism where people like Murdoch can make billions, manipulate media and governments to broaden his influence and money making potential yet we make criminals out of people who want to find a way to watch sport for a few quid less. Kind of messed up don't you think?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't taking the moral high ground - I just find the amount of people willing to brazenly admit to breaking the law on a public forum quite scary. And if you pay money to do it, you are likely funding some very unsavoury characters.
Oh no sorry, I meant its hard for me to take the moral high ground when the whole kit and kaboddle is right there under my nose.

If I was having to do something illicit then I'd probably bottle it.
But as it stands shopping at Argos and one search on YouTube clears my conscience, until such time as the news reports of someone in my situation being prosecuted.
Oh and I'd never pay, I can't get my head around that at all.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if in X years time we'll be able to buy completely tailored 'packages', at that point I'm back in the game.

But £100+ a month for (not) everything, still with so much stuff unwanted, just doesn't work for me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I did a bit of law as part of my degree and remember the difference between crime and tort.
From what I remember the police are not in the least bit interested in tort [civil law], their job is to uphold public laws [aka crime].
What I don't know [for sure] is whether watching a [contract-breaking] stream [or any source of entertainment] is a crime or a tort.
But with "law of six" now a crime with a £200 fine [x 7+ = £1,400+ minimum per incident] I think it might be obvious where any spare resource capacity of the folk in blue may be deployed for the foreseeable ....

In fact, the police only engage with torts after a Judge has made a judgement in favour of one party and the other party has not obeyed - crime becomes contempt of court?
So, watching a dodgy stream will require a private prosecution first [tort] before police may get involved.

Happy to be corrected on any of this as I'm not a trained solicitor / barrister.
More info here

Makes sense and I wouldn't expect a copper to take action based on an internet post - it is just the way streaming seems to differ from other illegal activities when it comes to people openly discussing them. I am sure most, if not all of us have watched a stream every so often. I have a hard disk full of roms of old computer games - not all of them do I own or are probably considered abandonware but I doubt 35 year old software counts as crime of the century. But people proudly announcing they get all TV via illegal means seems to be accepted in a way that, for example, boasting about 70% of your jobs being cash in hand would never be.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Thing is, especially this year, we all break the law in some way or another - I'm sure most of us have broken the speed limit, popped in to someone's house over the last few months when they shouldn't have done etc etc. Everyone has a moral compass that dictates their behaviour, rather more than strict adherence to law.

We've find ourselves with an extreme and twisted version of capitalism where people like Murdoch can make billions, manipulate media and governments to broaden his influence and money making potential yet we make criminals out of people who want to find a way to watch sport for a few quid less. Kind of messed up don't you think?

But considering that instead of giving your money to Murdoch, you are giving a smaller amount of money possibly to organised crime doesn't seem a better option. I am not questioning people doing it so much as the reasoning behind it. Would the OP be so keen on supporting this view of picking and choosing the laws you like if I decide people living in Portlock have too much money so they deserved to be robbed? Obviously an extreme example but there has to be a line somewhere. I don't like how the Government waste my taxes on paying their wives to screw up massively important health issues but does that mean I can go cash in hand for most of my work to stop paying them? I just find the underlying issues fascinating every time this topic comes up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
V.busy day, not had time to read replies or respond properly. Thank you to Stat Bro. Some laughable jump to conclusions as to my reason for asking. Ain’t that NSC though!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Makes sense and I wouldn't expect a copper to take action based on an internet post.

Very much depends on what has been written - no doubt an officer of the law is unlikely to be moved by a poster discussing an illegal stream or having a meeting that breaks the rule of six. But if someone posted details about a real crime; I know who did it [murder / rape / etc], kinda thing, I'd expect them to follow up.

Wasn't there a case a while back where some one took a video of their speedometer while driving their car at a ridiculously high speed - enquiries were made, and with a bit of deduction, a prosecution was made.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So much hassle.
And so much easier to sign up for DAZN Canada as well as Nord VPN.

Perfect streams, all the games and other sports too. Takes away any chance of bad streams.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Very much depends on what has been written - no doubt an officer of the law is unlikely to be moved by a poster discussing an illegal stream or having a meeting that breaks the rule of six. But if someone posted details about a real crime; I know who did it [murder / rape / etc], kinda thing, I'd expect them to follow up.

Wasn't there a case a while back where some one took a video of their speedometer while driving their car at a ridiculously high speed - enquiries were made, and with a bit of deduction, a prosecution was made.

Sorry - yes, I wasn't clear but I meant I wouldn't expect them to act on this particular topic. But it is an interesting question about what level they do start to take an interest.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No idea but the OP thought it was a great idea to ask how to break the law on a public forum with a prominent poster who works for the Police. Is this "Taking Back Control"? We get to pick and choose the laws we decide to break and flaunt the fact. Not like the UK Government would do ..... Oh.

Just for arguments sake (and this could be wrong) but I did read an article that stated, people who watch streams on a PC are not breaking the law, its grey, but the illegal offence is in copying or redistributing copyright material, so the streamer (wherever they are) most certainly is breaking laws and if an end user tried to either download (torrent sites) or redistribute they would be too, but just watching someone elses illegal broadcast is not in effect illegal, just as watching someone else robbing a bank doesn't make you guilty.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just for arguments sake (and this could be wrong) but I did read an article that stated, people who watch streams on a PC are not breaking the law, its grey, but the illegal offence is in copying or redistributing copyright material, so the streamer (wherever they are) most certainly is breaking laws and if an end user tried to either download (torrent sites) or redistribute they would be too, but just watching someone elses illegal broadcast is not in effect illegal, just as watching someone else robbing a bank doesn't make you guilty.

Terrible analogy. It is like watching someone robbing the bank and keeping some of the money they drop on the way out - you are partially complicit. Anyway

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/keeping-safe/online-safety/streaming-online-know-the-risks

I am not telling anyone what to do - I just find the candid posts bragging about it interesting.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
To my knowledge, and I have researched this a fair bit. nobody has ever been prosecuted for receiving a live stream from a supplier who is breaking copyright law. A number of IPTV suppliers and KODI third party addon suppliers have been prosecuted for supplying illegal streams or supplying the technology to receive them but the legal opinions that I have heard about indicate that it is probably (almost certainly) not illegal to receive the streams. None of the copyright owners have ever tested this in court because they are petrified that they would lose and the genie would be even further out of the bottle.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Terrible analogy. It is like watching someone robbing the bank and keeping some of the money they drop on the way out - you are partially complicit. Anyway

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/keeping-safe/online-safety/streaming-online-know-the-risks

I am not telling anyone what to do - I just find the candid posts bragging about it interesting.

"A recent court judgement also highlighted that consumers risk criminal prosecution by using one of these devices to illegally stream content." according to that crimestoppers piece.

Note that it does not say that a person was successfully prosecuted for receiving the stream nor does it give any details of the court judgement.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
So much hassle.

Perfect streams, all the games and other sports too. Takes away any chance of bad streams.

How did you deal with payment? Last time I checked PayPal wasn’t accepted and it had to be a Canadian based bank card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
So much hassle.

That's what I use (with private vpn. Works with express vpn as well). IF you can get yourself signed up to it - it's the dogs

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
How did you deal with payment? Last time I checked PayPal wasn’t accepted and it had to be a Canadian based bank card?

I live here so it was normal.
I just checked now and they accept Debit, Credit and Paypal.

I've got some family back in Brighton on it, they love it, wouldn't go without it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here