Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok hands up! Who has worked at amex?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
1987 - 1998 when outsourced to Xerox but stayed in Amex House from 1998 - 2003 when goonered, but got another job back with Amex from 2003 - 2005

Miss it loads and would go back tomorrow if I could.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The staff canteen, sorry restaurant, was pretty impressive!... no idea what its like now, but they really went for it in the early days..steak bar, salad bar, stirfry bar, along with the usual meat and two veg meals...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was offered a job as a trainee computer programmer back in 1976, but didn't take it because I didn't want to wear a tie.
Rebel without a clue, I sometimes think where it could have taken me.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I started in may 1970 and left around 1995 last one to leave Haywards Heath closing down the offices Eastchester and Westchester House and Milton House in 1974 as the card division moved to Brighton to join its cousins in Travel and T.C div In the Wedding cake building which crispy ambulance is right about and which after 6 months was not big enough, however I think one guy may still be working at Amex who started before me!and he is season ticket holder at the Amex he deserves a medal for working that long at American Express.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I was offered a job as a trainee computer programmer back in 1976, but didn't take it because I didn't want to wear a tie.
Rebel without a clue, I sometimes think where it could have taken me.

I went with it.. stayed a rebel, but over the years, have noticed i can walk down a street smoking a joint, and im the last person anybody would look at :-D

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Was there from 79 to 90 in the communications center. Worked on shift with the sadly passed Martin Blyth

Martin was a great guy he worked for Worcester Valves before he joined American Express we still drink to him and his Daughter has travelled to the Amex on the Mid Sussex independent SC coach from The Heath.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Martin was a great guy he worked for Worcester Valves before he joined American Express we still drink to him and his Daughter has travelled to the Amex on the Mid Sussex independent SC coach from The Heath.

Only met his family one time after a night shift up in HH....cant remember reason. We had some good times on that shift. Bob Summerfield, our supv was mostly in despair.
After one particularly hideous night, he joined me for a smoke. Didnt see him for several hours, and found him on the 3rd floor in a rest area, actually changing colour before our eyes haha....he never touched it again to my knowledge.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I worked for the Legal & General for about year in total in the late 90s. Despite meeting some nice people (and utter twonks), I hated being part of a large corporation and the humdrum of being crammed in to a large building with pretty uninspiring work. Not doing anything rewarding in the slightest.

I did a contract at L&G up until the credit crunch in 2008. So sad. People who had worked there for 20 years were TUPE'ed out to the Tata Corporation (TCS) and went from working for L&G to 'working on the L&G account'. After a year the TUPE expired, they had to re-apply for their own jobs, and many were replaced by cheaper offshore kiddies who had had a couple of rudimentary 'knowledge transfer' sessions. Shameful. You can read about it HERE:

http://brokenbrolly.proboards.com/threads/recent

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Our soundsystem did a party in a house two times too many one night when I was on a nightshift at Amex. As it was in Southover Street I told supv that I was going for my dinner break, and walked to our party. Party was going great, lit a joint, heard a noise by the door, turned, and saw a wall of riot police piling into the house...it wasnt even just a raid, it had an operational name ffs...they blocked off both ends of the road as well.
Difficult phone call back to office.

Where are you?
Nearby, actually across the road in the nick. See you tomorrow.

Did anybody go on the shagfest I.O.W trip? It was the first time I had seen many of the Amex women semi, or totally naked. Opened my door to some girl just wearing a shirt looking for some bloke. Woman I was with was hiding under the bedclothes because she knew her, and didnt want her to see her haha...amazing weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here