Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh where does the time go?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In those good old days games ended on 91 or 92 minutes.
Unless it was Fergy time.

Also, do you think ManUre would have gone ten years without conceding a penalty at home if todays vigilance, rule tweaks and VAR were in place?

Yes, that's right. Ten years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What happened to the days a referee had control of a game rather than looking petrified of every player out there?
Give over!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I reckon we lost 3 minutes of the 9 at the end of the match. No surprise really given Salisbury got key decisions wrong or didn’t give them. The pen, the foul on Lamptey, the red card (that was the worst error given the ref, Lino and 4th official were no further than 10m from the incident) yet they looked gob smacked when VAR kicked in.

And don’t get me started on the free kicks and retreating 10 yards. Salisbury seemed to be making up the rules on the spot. It’s clear to see that the pitch is cut in 6 yards strips yet he allowed their defender to be in the same strip as the ball when trying to block our free kick.
Are you saying that VAR imposed a correct red card decision? And made the ref reconsider a false penalty call? That the referee was poor but at least some of his tomfoolery was corrected by VAR?

That was certainly my impression and I'm glad we are in agreement on that :thumbsup:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Michael Salisbury should be sacked, probably the worst referee performance I’ve seen since… Michael Salisbury against Spurs. The bloke is absolute waste of space, if I was the club I’d want him nowhere near one of our games again, 3 games against the top 6 recently absolutely diabolical refereeing performances. Salisbury should be demoted on the first half awarding of that penalty alone. I don’t believe in corruption but the bias unconscious or not, is astounding, the top 6 dominate the column inches if you give a wrong decision against Brighton, Palace or Wolves no one cares, give it against Chelsea and Arsenal and it will carry on for days. Refs know this and it filters down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We scored in the 97th minute Harry.

Did you miss it?

😉
Yep.

I left on 84 (usually it is 85, but I needed to strain the potatoes). I said to my lovely companions as I departed, I "hope I miss two goals". Sadly, if reports are true, it was only the one.

Hope you're ship-shape, young man, and I bump into you on Sunday :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And people want to get rid of VAR? And leave it to morons like him to ruin the game on his own? The would have had a penatly, one goal would have stood and james would have been on the pitch. Instead of 1-2 loss it would have been 0-4.
No, their goal wouldn't have stood, it had been disallowed on the field - it would just have been 0-3 :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He's terrible.
VAR for us against Spurs, in THAT game.
The VAR who didn't give the obvious penalty for Wolves at United.

I was really quite relaxed when he gave the penalty. It was so obviously not a penalty that I knew it would be overturned.
He was sent to the screen within seconds.
Still took his f***ing time to review it himself though.

He's simply not good enough.
Probably should have sent Bart off too.
So it wasn't all one way.

As for blowing up bang on 10 minutes after a goal and 2 substitutions.
Standard - if a big team is narrowly winning.
i knew it would happen. Roles reversed? Well we all know what would have happened then.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
And people want to get rid of VAR? And leave it to morons like him to ruin the game on his own? The would have had a penatly, one goal would have stood and james would have been on the pitch. Instead of 1-2 loss it would have been 0-4.
He ruled out the goal on the field.
Probably should have sent Bart off too.
You mean when he booked Bart despite him not even touching their player, and not being in any way dangerous?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I reckon we lost 3 minutes of the 9 at the end of the match. No surprise really given Salisbury got key decisions wrong or didn’t give them. The pen, the foul on Lamptey, the red card (that was the worst error given the ref, Lino and 4th official were no further than 10m from the incident) yet they looked gob smacked when VAR kicked in.

And don’t get me started on the free kicks and retreating 10 yards. Salisbury seemed to be making up the rules on the spot. It’s clear to see that the pitch is cut in 6 yards strips yet he allowed their defender to be in the same strip as the ball when trying to block our free kick.
Timekeeping needs to fundamentally change to in game playing time only, and be controlled off the pitch.
Players need to be consistently yellow carded if they don't immediately retreat ten yards for a free kick - carnage of cards for a few weeks but then it's sorted.
But the authorities seem to prefer the 'drama' more 🤷🏼‍♂️.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Timekeeping needs to fundamentally change to in game playing time only, and be controlled off the pitch.
Players need to be consistently yellow carded if they don't immediately retreat ten yards for a free kick - carnage of cards for a few weeks but then it's sorted.
But the authorities seem to prefer the 'drama' more 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Can’t think of another sport where players are allowed to deliberately slow things by preventing play to resume. Rugby (at the top level ?) seems to have eliminated it. Maybe cricket where batsmen do a bit of gardening? A little bit in tennis by over using the towel? It’s quickly punished.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Can’t think of another sport where players are allowed to deliberately slow things by preventing play to resume. Rugby (at the top level ?) seems to have eliminated it. Maybe cricket where batsmen do a bit of gardening? A little bit in tennis by over using the towel? It’s quickly punished.
As you say, Rugby has eliminated it 👍. It's not hard.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Was reading the Chelsea site earlier and yo be fair this post made me laugh. Posted when 10+ minutes was announced:

"Can we amortise these ten minutes so we only have to serve two minutes per game against Brighton over the next five seasons? Asking for a friend/tycoon"

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
He made Gross move the ball back than move Jackson away from the ball. And when Gross did so - Jackson just shuffled forwards anyway.
That was ridiculous. You could tell by the cut of the pitch how far away he was or wasn't.

Pitch length is 115 yards. 115 divided by 2 halves = 57.5. First three cuts from the goal line are 6 yards each, leaving 39.5 yards. Six other cuts going up to the halfway line are 6.58 yards each. And Jackson and the ball were not even one cut apart.

I rest my case.

Playmaker

Mar 29, 2016
Mid Sussex

Not to mention the two substitutions in the 99th

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
It’s clear to see that the pitch is cut in 6 yards strips yet he allowed their defender to be in the same strip as the ball when trying to block our free kick.
It's not. The strips from the edge of the 18 yard box are bigger than the three inside it. But still nowhere near 10 yards.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's not. The strips from the edge of the 18 yard box are bigger than the three inside it. But still nowhere near 10 yards.
Ok I was 0.58 yards out by your calc but I didn’t have a slide rule or the inclination to investigate our pitch size. I was just trying to make a point that the defender was clearly less than 10 yards away from the ball 😉

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The refs have 2 choices, give a penalty and let var decide, don't give a penalty and let var decide. 1st one is for top 6 teams, second one for bottom 14...
You have this spot on. It's what we have seen so much over last 4 years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here