Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh when the Saints.....

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Watching the game on Sky & the Saints fans have managed to sing this:

A: For more than 30 seconds (about 2 mins to be fair!)
B: Without the need for a drum (not that I could hear anyway)
C: IN TIME! Kept it slow for ages before speeding it up at the end (ooh-err Mrs!)

Say what you like about their fans but it did sound quality. I know it's been done to death, but I just can't work out how we can't manage the same with GOSBTS?

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No wonder you concentrated on the quality of the singing because the quality of the football is poor to say the least!

Rubbish, I thought it was a good game. I quite like watching Southampton, they do move the ball well and it's not all long ball as some would have you believe. They play a decent brand of football and they're a lot more watchable than a lot of teams. For all Wigan's apparently good football, I find them the worst team to watch. Good football is any football which has the team scoring goals.

Not being ironic or sarcastic either, I think the criticism of Southampton's football is tedious and misguided.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not criticising Saints style. Both teams looked sloppy in the first half. Fulham looked awful. Second half was much better viewing.

Although I was quoting you directly, I was aiming my comments at the wider perception of Southampton to be honest. I know we don't like them, etc etc etc but that doesn't automatically make them long ball hoofers. Nigel Adkins is a complete bellend, but his team play good football.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Although I was quoting you directly, I was aiming my comments at the wider perception of Southampton to be honest. I know we don't like them, etc etc etc but that doesn't automatically make them long ball hoofers. Nigel Adkins is a complete bellend, but his team play good football.

I agree the hoofing thing was blown out of proportion. When they do play it long it's usually to Lambert at the far post and more often than not, results in a goal. I wish we had an outlet or option like that. Adkins is cocky git and its nice to see him struggle. They've got some good players who can play passing football, but I'll be delighted if they go down.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree the hoofing thing was blown out of proportion. When they do play it long it's usually to Lambert at the far post and more often than not, results in a goal. I wish we had an outlet or option like that. Adkins is cocky git and its nice to see him struggle. They've got some good players who can play passing football, but I'll be delighted if they go down.

We're very much on the same page regarding this issue! Our team would be greatly enhanced with that sort of an option, and I'm sure Gus has spotted it as being a good ploy. The trouble is finding a Grant Holt or Rickie Lambert who isn't going to cost more than we reasonably afford. Without gambling on being successful and banking the cash from promotion. I was having this conversation with someone recently, getting strikers in at league 1 level is relatively easy because of the length of contracts given out at that level, and because they're not paid all that much. The jump from League 1 to the Championship is massively financially, or atleast it seems to be. Joe Mattock, a pretty standard Championship left back, allegedly signed for Wednesday on a £20k a week contract. If a left back is commanding that sort of contract, I dread to think what a half nifty striker would command.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here