Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oh no, Ken Bruce quits Radio 2!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
This is the final straw for me and Radio 2. I have already gone to Boom Radio. Mainly 60's and 70's music with a sprinkling of 80's. The playlist is huge - not just the normal 'oldies' that you would expect but a very eclectic mix, including lesser known tracks from major artists (but still hit the charts at the time), non-chart disco and northern soul favourites. What 'chat' there is during the day is usually about the music - partly due to the the dj's running solo. Even 'Diddy' David is not that annoying Tempo drops and records appear to get older after tea.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What's that line? No matter how dark the night, the dawn will come.
I know. Just January blues, in a couple weeks the evenings suddenly become noticeably lighter and…we’re on our way out of this winter abyss. Bloody depressing but appreciate the encouragement :) Thank you.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ken's had the pleasure of hosting my pop knowledge thrice for Popmaster, I hope the incoming will be better than Mills or Davies.
He's taking Popmaster with him. Have another try. Nobody you know will hear your efforts on Classic Hits, but you know you'll still enjoy it. My Cocktail Audio has had it's radio switched off by those bastards at Cocktail Audio who took away the album covers feature at the beginning of Covid, but luckily it turns out I only have to Ask Alexa and Classic Hits Sussex powers up, so I'll be good to go.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Vernon Kay set to be announced as Bruce's replacement, not sure the right choice to replace an old white male was to replace him with a slightly younger white male but think he will be a very safe pair of hands.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not sure the fact Kay is white makes any difference. Of all the potential reasonable options , most of them are white but why is that a big deal . Surely the best person available for the job should get it , not based on their skin colour .

I don’t personally like Vernon as a radio DJ , I find him purile and not very interested to listen to but that my opinion.

Gary Davis would have been a better choice .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does he effectively own the 'Popmaster' format?

I remember when Simon Bates left Radio One, he took Our Tune with him as well, Greatest Hits Radio will all but pay for KB with the advertising revenue around 10.30 every morning.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I remember when Simon Bates left Radio One, he took Our Tune with him as well, Greatest Hits Radio will all but pay for KB with the advertising revenue around 10.30 every morning.
I may be completely wrong but I THINK as most DJ's are freelance, they can take 'their' show to a station.

I know many hugely dislike him but I listen to Moyles on Radio X each morning. He took/often references a lot of concepts/features that were present/similar on his old R1 show.

I'm pretty sure Chris Evans' show on Virgin has many many similarities to his R2 show.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Not sure if the hordes of R2 listeners will move across. A lot depends on the question setting as whether PopMaster remains at the zenith of pop quizzes. I have no intention of following Bruce to GHR, despite my love of PopMaster.

Contrary to many on here, I really like Liza Tarbuck. Not Vernon Kay though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

He is taking Popmaster with him to GHR. I rarely get time to listen to Popmaster live but use BBC sounds to listen again later in the day (the bonus being you can skip through the pre-amble when contestants is really dull). I hope GHR have the same option.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
More sad news next week will be Ken’s last on Radio 2, he wanted to honour his contract and stay till the end of March but BBC have said they want him to leave earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here