Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] oh my days win at Palace and we're top of the league

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Might want to remind ourselves that it was Crystal Palace who defeated us for the first time at the AMEX, and prevented us going top of the league, this very day ten years ago.

Don't get too excited.

If I remember correctly we played Liverpool on the previous Wednesday , Leeds on the Friday night , both games live on TV , THEN Palace on the Tuesday, that is 3 high profile matches in 6 days , no wonder we lost on the Tuesday, they must off been physically and mentally very demanding

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Might want to remind ourselves that it was Crystal Palace who defeated us for the first time at the AMEX, and prevented us going top of the league, this very day ten years ago.

Don't get too excited.

Payback time, sick of their jammy results against us...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
seriously what drugs r u on? how is that any different from the thousands of threads on here last season about "how many points will we get from the next x games?" and similar like when we got near the relegation zone at any time in the past 4 seasons and people coming out with comments like "well we should beat x and y at home and then we are mathematically safe" etc etc

Because all that matters right now is tonight's game.
Most of us know that any amount of positivity, or statements about what will happen after we beat Palace, are usually thrown in our face after a humbling experience.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Don't get too excited.

No, it wasn’t. We lost to Liverpool 21st September and then lost to Palace 6 days later. Notice the Palace fans are so desperate they have to keep putting ‘league game’ when they crow.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
seriously what drugs r u on? how is that any different from the thousands of threads on here last season about "how many points will we get from the next x games?" and similar like when we got near the relegation zone at any time in the past 4 seasons and people coming out with comments like "well we should beat x and y at home and then we are mathematically safe" etc etc

'Seriously'?

We have never been anywhere near the top of the first division, and our prospects of getting there, let alone staying there are slim. I want to enjoy the moment and not look greedily into the future. Yet.

Since you still think that musing on the long hard slog to get mathematically safe is identical to speculating on how we can pull away as runaway EPL leaders, I am beginning to regret not using the cruder analogy that first popped into my astonished head.

However, never mind. Football is all about opinions :thumbsup: :wink:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
'Seriously'?

We have never been anywhere near the top of the first division, and our prospects of getting there, let alone staying there are slim. I want to enjoy the moment and not look greedily into the future. Yet.

Since you still think that musing on the long hard slog to get mathematically safe is identical to speculating on how we can pull away as runaway EPL leaders, I am beginning to regret not using the cruder analogy that first popped into my astonished head.

However, never mind. Football is all about opinions :thumbsup: :wink:

you have to admit , being top of the league after thumping them up the road would make for a great week for everyone....:):)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
you have to admit , being top of the league after thumping them up the road would make for a great week for everyone....:):)

Begging the question:-

Why would a supposed Albion fan want to look beyond 10pm tonight, let alone a month past 10pm?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Don't get me wrong. I had trouble sleeping last night and I'n sooo looking forward to this, and if we win it will be insane.

But I don't want to jinx it.

Bugger :facepalm:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Were loose

(somebody had to say it)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don't get me wrong. I had trouble sleeping last night and I'n sooo looking forward to this, and if we win it will be insane.

But I don't want to jinx it.

Bugger :facepalm:

Oh blimey why did you even have to say it?

Ive been worrying about jinxing it too, but sod it, every single one of us knows exactly what a win would mean, every single one of them knows what beating us would mean, does jinxing even come into the equation any more?

And if course every single player knows what it could mean as well. That will perhaps be the hardest thing, the pressure of playing knowing what is on the line, and will be interesting to see them cope with that. Imagine it's different to the pressure of a relegation battle. It's silly pressure as we all know we won't finish there, but it will still be present I'm sure.

I first thought that this kind of pressure would be a new experience for most in our side, but actually many of our team have experience at the pointy end of the table. Dunk, Duffy and March with our promotion campaign, Welbeck winning the premier league in 2012-13, Lallana winning the premier league in 2019-20 and two promotions with Southampton, Gros winning Bundesliga 2, Veltman has won the Dutch league three times, Moder helping Lech Poznan finish second in the Polish league, Mac Allister won the Argentinian league (albeit only playing the first half of the season) and Trossard captained Genk to the league title in Belgium. With all the youth coming through and emphasis on player development, can sometimes forget how experienced the core of our team is.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
So when you win tonight and go top of the league, will that make up for the play off defeat a few years back?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So when you win tonight and go top of the league, will that make up for the play off defeat a few years back?
Ultimately the play off didn’t matter, we got our promotion at a later date, so there isn’t any “making up” to worry about. When win tonight will that make up for us doing the double over you in 2018/19?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we manage to beat Palace I hope Dunk and/or Potter has the presence of mind to dedicate the result to Dick Knight and Tony Bloom. It would be the very essence of 'From The Gutter To The Stars' and a wonderful achievement for the two men that made it all happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here