[News] Oh great we've now managed to set the sea on fire

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Errm - you can't set the sea on fire - there is no fuel there (unless you have a particularly heavily concentrated plastic concentration floating on the surface, I suppose).

You can ignite a gas cloud that is sitting on / rising above the surface though. I have no idea where the ignition source for the gas / air mixture came from, though.

(Here endeth my pedantry for the day, I hope - I try to limit myself to a maximum of one occurrence per day, unless seriously provoked. :) )

[MENTION=34704]PeterOut[/MENTION] OUT!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought fires needed oxygen? I guess water being H2O means it can get some by feeding off the steam created somehow?

No. That would mean it would be a perpetual motion device, where the oxygen for the fire comes from the creation of oxygen by the fire.

Other gases are available. ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I appreciate that it's not a good thing ecologically speaking..... but wow it's still pretty cool isn't it?

*potentially misreading the room badly*

I agree, DOlphins videos are one thing, but IF I saw FIRE when I went for a swim I'd be very impressed. Especially if it warmed the water up a bit :eek::mad:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Many years ago on the Goon Show, Neddy Seagoon having bought the English Channel was persuaded to take out insurance against it catching fire. At the time I just thought it was the writer's idea of a farcical event. But now?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Can they recreate this when the Sovereign Centre in Eastbourne is teaming with chavs and their ill-behaved offspring? ???

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I agree, DOlphins videos are one thing, but IF I saw FIRE when I went for a swim I'd be very impressed. Especially if it warmed the water up a bit :eek::mad:

$_1.JPG

Ah - but then you would need one of these, in case it got out of hand...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Many years ago on the Goon Show, Neddy Seagoon having bought the English Channel was persuaded to take out insurance against it catching fire. At the time I just thought it was the writer's idea of a farcical event. But now?

Let's hope Little Jim doesn't fall in the water!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports