Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear, what have you done Tony...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone who cried at a manager leaving is a clown, I was delighted when that boring Twat pissed off for a glow over. Two months into next season we do well a big club doesn’t RDZ isn’t hanging around (if he had stayed)
This.

With the proviso that we are referring to a manager leaving due to a fall out, or the 'ambitious' pursuit of the 'next level'.

If they leave due to age or infirmity, having done a great job (like Klopp at Liverpool - who looks ill to me) then I may get something momentarily in my eye.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We moved on because we're ambitious. Why do a handful of people seem to think the total opposite.
We all thing we know and understand something completely, most of the time. Some of us think we do so all of the time. The reality is for most of us it is just some of the time. Maybe. And with the accuracy of one's certainty being inversely proportional to its intensity.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I loved our football under RDZ but he basically gave up after Christmas.
Unless we make a monumental cock-up in terms of who we choose I'm pretty sure we will be just fine.
Yep. Take away the Palace game, which we thankfully managed to be well up for, the Jan to May period was shite. Listened to the Albion Roar for the first time in ages on Saturday morning as Nick Szczepanik was on it giving his overall views. Bearing in mind that he's a level-headed football journo, he described RDZ's selection and tactics in Rome as arrogant, and it's hard to disagree.

We've undoubtedly been hit by injuries, but that's when it's time to earn your money as a manager and adapt to at least make your team hard to beat if not quite as flair. I think we'll be an attractive proposition to a lot of good managers across Europe. Even without some additional players coming this summer - which will surely happen - we've still got a really strong squad.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
The club has been on an upward trajectory for the whole of Tony Bloom’s time in charge. There have been dips (post Poyet until Hughton came in) and what has been demonstrated time and time again is that the club provides a brilliant opportunity for good managers to do very well.

Basically TB’s record since taking over warrants a lot of trust and faith that the future is bright(on).

This post should have ended this thread. No further discussion is either required or helpful

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the OP does a great disservice to Tony Bloom and to Paul Barber, who's recent commitment to signing a contract until 2030 shows that he for one believes in Tony and his methods.

I bet there isn't one person on this board who wants the Albion to achieve success more than Tony Bloom. To his credit De Zerbi praised Bloom and reminded us as fans what a great chairman we have, but he is correct - many fans do need reminding of the level of commitment Tony has made to the club.

I cringed when a minority of the crowd sung "We want you to stay" because that is not what Tony wants and he knows best.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Anyone who has ever managed people at any level should know that having an employee that is disengaged with what you are trying to do has to go, regardless of how good they are. And in the world of elite sport, it's even more important. I can't see how there was even a decision for Tony to make, I doubt he even thought twice about it.
Absolutely. I know it myself when managing people who are disengaged. The difference between fully engaged and even partially non engaged is huge is terms of energy and energising others.
He had to go for himself and the club. He was honest with himself and Tony, so thankfully the parting was an amicable one.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Absolutely. I know it myself when managing people who are disengaged. The difference between fully engaged and even partially non engaged is huge is terms of energy and energising others.
He had to go for himself and the club. He was honest with himself and Tony, so thankfully the parting was an amicable one.
Bet it still cost the club a few quid as part of the contract termination agreement though!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bet it still cost the club a few quid as part of the contract termination agreement though!
I bet it didn't.

DeZerbi reportedly lost out on some serious job offers around the turn of the year, due to the cost to his suitors of paying the compensation set out in his Albion contract. I'd imagine that allowing for that to disappear, is incentive enough for RDZ to accept a no-strings clean break.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yep. Take away the Palace game, which we thankfully managed to be well up for, the Jan to May period was shite. Listened to the Albion Roar for the first time in ages on Saturday morning as Nick Szczepanik was on it giving his overall views. Bearing in mind that he's a level-headed football journo, he described RDZ's selection and tactics in Rome as arrogant, and it's hard to disagree.

We've undoubtedly been hit by injuries, but that's when it's time to earn your money as a manager and adapt to at least make your team hard to beat if not quite as flair. I think we'll be an attractive proposition to a lot of good managers across Europe. Even without some additional players coming this summer - which will surely happen - we've still got a really strong squad.
It is a strong squad, when all are fit, but also a lot of inexperience, and a well liked coach just vacated. It's not the easiest situation to take over, and some of the names mentioned as candidates, would likely see it as a gamble.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think the OP does a great disservice to Tony Bloom and to Paul Barber, who's recent commitment to signing a contract until 2030 shows that he for one believes in Tony and his methods.

I bet there isn't one person on this board who wants the Albion to achieve success more than Tony Bloom. To his credit De Zerbi praised Bloom and reminded us as fans what a great chairman we have, but he is correct - many fans do need reminding of the level of commitment Tony has made to the club.

I cringed when a minority of the crowd sung "We want you to stay" because that is not what Tony wants and he knows best.

I felt the same way. TB knows best.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This.

With the proviso that we are referring to a manager leaving due to a fall out, or the 'ambitious' pursuit of the 'next level'.

If they leave due to age or infirmity, having done a great job (like Klopp at Liverpool - who looks ill to me) then I may get something momentarily in my eye.
Well quite 5 years of prime RDZ would have been a different situation.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Yes I know, another thread on the same subject.

My big fears are that we become a club with no aspirations beyond financial survival. Of course that is key to everything, but to take the fans along too there needs to be the optimism and hope of breaking out from Just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things. Whenever we tick one off the list they become something the fans believe can happen.

RDZ leaving may be the next progression for a brilliantly managed club, swinging the axe before poor results become entrenched and the relegation trapdoor beckons next season. But is Lallana leaving an unforeseen consequence that is hard to replace. Likewise, will Gross see his Player of the Season awards and the Euros as reaching his career peak over here and RDZ leaving as the trigger to go. The tears on the pitch on Sunday from the stands and the pitch, the outpouring of emotion, the singing for RDZ to come back before he has gone, shows the massive personality gap that needs to be filled with someone the fans can get behind. Ok, Fati didn't work, but anyone who knew his talent would have taken that risk. Dahoud maybe less so. I like Igor, but acknowledge he was outside the club mould and will just depreciate, so needs to stay, perform and be that younger/older head for a few years. I fear the starlets who might have loved and stayed a bit to learn from RDZ will need a helluva replacement to stick with us. In Tony we trust, because even when he got it wrong with Sami, he turned it round. But sometimes trust gets tested and I just feel sad and flat at the moment. I'm also not entirely sure that Barber will be fully on board judging by his comments and demeanour with RDZ at the fan forum. But of course, he will be professional and get on with his job.
It's now the Big 8, not the Big 6 if you include Villa and Newcastle, both with mega rich owners.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well quite 5 years of prime RDZ would have been a different situation.
The vision of you sobbing at the departure of a manager is a sight I'd pay good money to watch :lolol: :wink:

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Because it's a nuanced and balanced thread opener and I was interested to read the views of others in the context of what I said. As usual, some posters can read properly and actually understand the post and respond in kind. Others, dare I suggest usual suspects, rather less so.
It was a look at me thread that could easily have fitted in another thread. The title itself is far from balanced or nuanced.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm not reading this. But 1 win in 11 & a similar start to next season & you'll need the tissues for just 1 part of your anatomy (rather than crying & wanking over Roberto).

Let him go now & be revered- as otherwise it could have been a total shit show & the legend of Roberto would not have gone down in folklore like it will

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's now the Big 8, not the Big 6 if you include Villa and Newcastle, both with mega rich owners.
Nah, it's not just about owner's money. It takes years of European exposure (and additional revenue) to break into the superclub bracket.

Indeed both Villa and Newcastle will have finanical shackles next season, as someone a lot duller than me can explain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here