Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear... Racial abuse at Rochdale...

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
From todays Mail

"Boston United have reported Rochdale to the FA following racial abuse directed at goalkeeper Nathan Abbey.

Abbey claims to have been subjected to monkey chants during Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Spotland.

He was seen argueing with supporters behind his goal before the game and Boston manager Steve Evans alerted referee Phil Prosser to the incident at half time."

:shootself

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's been bothering me for ages but how stupid exactly do you have to be to liken a black person to a f***ing monkey? I can (kind of) understand someone calling a black person a black bastard but monkey chants just seens too wrong to be true.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Fluffster said:
From todays Mail

"Boston United have reported Rochdale to the FA following racial abuse directed at goalkeeper Nathan Abbey.

Abbey claims to have been subjected to monkey chants during Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Spotland.

He was seen argueing with supporters behind his goal before the game and Boston manager Steve Evans alerted referee Phil Prosser to the incident at half time."

:shootself

My Dad went up to that match and heard nothing about monkey chants his is 67 but not that deaf. Prosser has a chip on his shoulder about racist chants or voices in his head

but the match the week before Boston where at home to Mansfield and the Mansfield suppoters where giving Abbey a hard time and doing monkey chants. Nothing was said or done then

:nono:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's been bothering me for ages but how stupid exactly do you have to be to liken a black person to a f***ing monkey? I can (kind of) understand someone calling a black person a black bastard but monkey chants just seens too wrong to be true.

It is stupid beyond belief and those that do it have less inteligence than the apes they imitate.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Rather worryingly, it seems as if racist abuse has suddenly become 'cool' again in the eyes of the pathetic neanderthal minority we know as hooligans.:(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its ever since the Madrid match isn't it. The media feeding frenzy over racism has woken up and reminded some of the more mentally challenged football fans that racist abuse is the latest fashionable craze to take part in.

:rolleyes:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I've often wondered that. Is it because monkeys (largely) have black fur? I suppose to the uneducated eye black skin and black fur may look a bit similar - but why not make, I duuno, cat noises? They've got black fur as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Re: Re: Oh dear... Racial abuse at Rochdale...

lincs seagull said:
My Dad went up to that match and heard nothing about monkey chants his is 67 but not that deaf. Prosser has a chip on his shoulder about racist chants or voices in his head

but the match the week before Boston where at home to Mansfield and the Mansfield suppoters where giving Abbey a hard time and doing monkey chants. Nothing was said or done then

:nono:

It has nothing to do with Prosser. The keeper was on Sky news last night explaining what happened. Before the match he ran to the goal threw his water bottle down and 3 or 4 fans started giving it the monkey.

The keeper complained to a steward who was reluctant to do anything until the keeper warned he would report him to the FA. He also told Prosser. Prosser is only reporting what he was told by the keeper.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Brovian said:
I've often wondered that. Is it because monkeys (largely) have black fur? I suppose to the uneducated eye black skin and black fur may look a bit similar - but why not make, I duuno, cat noises? They've got black fur as well.

I know you're being ironic Brovian but for those who haven't made the connection the reason behind the monkey chants is the belief of the racists that do it that humans of African decent are less evolved than other humans and hence are more closey related to apes and monkeys.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Is it just me or did it never really go away.

From a purely Albion point of view last season I witnessed Racism at Brentford, Luton, QPR and even Grimsby (the latter was Grimsby fans abusing Leon Knight we saw from the Press Box).

Its all very well pointing these people out, but at Luton the Police were not interested and at Grimsby the steward actually told me he had no authority to deal with chanting unless it was offensive (work that one out)

I am sure I am not alone in recognising the same faces that have been getting away with it for years (one as I mentioned in a post after Luton last season is supposedly banned for life but seems to appear regularly at away games) I actually wrote to the club after the Luton game and never even got a reply, they seem much happier to deal with the easier problems of month bans for alcohol related misdameanours rather than the much more expensive and trickier legal banning orders that seem to be getting flaunted anyway.

Now all of a sudden its in the National spotlight and all the clubs are desperate to be seen to be doing the right thing, lets hope its not too little too late in our own back yard.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Easy 10 said:
Its ever since the Madrid match isn't it. The media feeding frenzy over racism has woken up and reminded some of the more mentally challenged football fans that racist abuse is the latest fashionable craze to take part in.

My thoughts entirely Easy. It does seem to have come to the fore again since Madrid. Sheep, and ignorant sheep sadly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Easy 10 said:

my thoughts exactly. And what have Uefa/Fifa done about Spain? Sweet f*** all.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Re: Re: Re: Oh dear... Racial abuse at Rochdale...

Albion Dan said:
It has nothing to do with Prosser. The keeper was on Sky news last night explaining what happened. Before the match he ran to the goal threw his water bottle down and 3 or 4 fans started giving it the monkey.

The keeper complained to a steward who was reluctant to do anything until the keeper warned he would report him to the FA. He also told Prosser. Prosser is only reporting what he was told by the keeper.

The thing is Evans said he could hear it my dad not that far from there could not. not saying Abbey is lying but goes on all the time and what gets me is Boston inbreeds supporters are one of the worest for it standing in there and hearing some of the racist slururs that the away team gets they ignore and get on with it

it should be brought up and sorted whaen it is at a level as the spain match but one or two f*** wits needs reporting buy there own fans if they do not it makes them no better than the ones shouting the abuse

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I remember a match at Spotland a couple of seasons ago where the BNP were selling their in house magazine outside thr ground :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here