Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear,3-1 Watford.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair to Mourinho, 2003 his Porto team beat Celtic In extra time in the UEFA Cup final. A year later the same team beat Man Utd on the way to winning the European cup. He also won the same competition with an unfancied Inter Milan.

Not many managers will be capable of doing that. The English FA was looking for him to take the job recently as well.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Way too soon to write Mourinho off. A wonderful blip we we will all enjoy but he will work it out. Starting with dropping Rooney and taking Blind out of central defence.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Van Gaal was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time at Old Trafford. He had to clear out a lot of the dead wood that Moyes had created.

Clearing out the dead wood? He only bought two players Mata and Fellaini - they're both still there, playing for the first team; Fellaini plays most games in fact.

Moyes wasn't allowed to buy many players, that's probably where the rot started

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
For such a terrible manager he has won an awful lot of trophies!

Van Gaal was a great manager 15-20 years ago. In recent years, including his time at United, he was shown to be very much an analogue man for a digital age.

Still very early days for Mourinho at United. Some new players needing to bed in and possibly some experienced campaigners to move on. He needs to get the balance right particularly in the middle of the park where they have been overrun at times so far. A bit more genuine width looks like it is needed as well rather than playing forwards out wide to shoe-horn everyone into the team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Van Gaal was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time at Old Trafford. He had to clear out a lot of the dead wood that Moyes had created. For Mourinho to have got off to such a bad start is not acceptable when he's blown every club out of the water with the signings of Paul Pogba, Henrikn Mkhitaryan, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Eric Bailley. If he fails at United this season I can't see him ever managing in England ever again and that will be a blessed relief to the overwhelming majority of football fans.

But VG was there for ages (relatively speaking) – more than enough time to get the players he'd bought in (at a not inconsiderable price) to click. Not sure Moyes created the dead wood – didn't he buy Fellani and that was about it?

I used to really like José, but now I just find him irritating, predictable and beyond arrogant. Some would say it is a match made in heaven... :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still find it incredible at how Taggart managed to win the title - and at a canter - with a defence featuring Wes Brown.

He really was one of the best managers of all time, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here