Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OFT To Investigate Furniture Retailers...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
?? A designer I like has a regular sale twice a year and they genuinely have 60% off end of season stock. So it is financially sustainable.

Does the designer buy from wholesalers to stock up, or do they stock their own stuff? End of season is entirely different. Try again, if you're buying from a wholesaler and selling them at 75% your margins are either tiny, or you're not even profiting.

If I designed my own stuff and sold my own stuff, selling at a discount would be entirely different to buying from a wholesaler who has an RRP and sells me a product at X price.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does the designer buy from wholesalers to stock up, or do they stock their own stuff? End of season is entirely different. Try again, if you're buying from a wholesaler and selling them at 75% your margins are either tiny, or you're not even profiting.

If I designed my own stuff and sold my own stuff, selling at a discount would be entirely different to buying from a wholesaler who has an RRP and sells me a product at X price.

I understand this. My example is genuine and your's is not. But, my point is whether the customer's job to work out which is a genuine and which is not. No. Why cant retailers simply tell it the way it is? Call me old fashioned but I kind of like the simple life and things not dressed up in nonsense. Don't you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To answer your question it's all their own stock. And I can tell you it was a pisser to see my winter coat at 60% off at the start of the summer.

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
But surely the alternative is No Sales At all and the price stays the same all year round... The only problem I see is that I don't think it can be policed..you can enforce it on these big six but what about the smaller retailers like vokins will you be more likely to buy from them as they have a higher before price??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can't see what's the big issue here. The bottom line is are customers paying over the odds for goods? Clearly not because it's a huge open market with customers and retailers having ready access to information. We all know the sales guff is overhyped nonsense.

I'd rather the OFT investigates things like retailers in train stations and motorway service stations or service charging with ticket sellers.

this in spades. really dont see what the harm is in the forever sales at the furniture stores, its up to you to consider if the current price is value. theres plenty more significant issues out there and motorway petrol prices should be the first place to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here