Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offside rule

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the FL need to update the lino on the offside rule. In the FL show they showed a couple of incidents where the player took a rebound from the keeper and the gaol disallowed for offside. Ramirez of Southampton had one allowed to stand for doing exactly the same thing. The simple answer is change the rule back to say that if the keeper pushed it back out that puts a player on side. this would remove any controversy sand ambiguity.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe the difference was that Ramirez wasn't in an offside position when Rodriguez had the original shot.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
So you're allowed to just stand around the keeper and your players hoof balls up the pitch until he drops one? It's fine how it is. He gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball was played.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you're allowed to just stand around the keeper and your players hoof balls up the pitch until he drops one? It's fine how it is. He gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball was played.

That didnt happen when the rule allowed a player to be played on by the keeper so why should it now. If as you say he should have been given offside. No consistency, as I said the linos need telling about this.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
He gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball was played.

If it was the QPR game yesterday, he wasn't in an offside position. Perfectly legit goal.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If it was the QPR game yesterday, he wasn't in an offside position. Perfectly legit goal.

Sorry, I was making a general statement for if the rule was changed, the goal yesterday was legit.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sorry, I was making a general statement for if the rule was changed, the goal yesterday was legit.

Oh, OK.

The simple thing is for BG to get some new glasses.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
To be honest, we should eliminate the offside rule completely. It will make the game far more dynamic, and if somebody is an offside position, then mark them properly. The game is too 'safe' at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont wear nor need glasses but making a definitive rule would remove all ambiguity. It is very simple and worked for many any years if the ball was last played by a defender it put the player onside and my view is to change that to played by the keeper.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wait...you think you know a rule and the approved Football League and Premier League officials don't?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Quite. Why on earth should a goalkeeper be spared from his own screw-up by suddenly claiming an attacker was offside when he wasn't at the point the original shot was taken?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wait...you think you know a rule and the approved Football League and Premier League officials don't?

No not at all it is the manner of when and if it is applied with apparent inconsistency which is the problem. As I said if the goalkeeper touching it automatically played a player on irrespective of previous positioning it would remove that inconsistency and make the keepers more aware of the result of their errors.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No not at all it is the manner of when and if it is applied with apparent inconsistency which is the problem.

I don't really think there is a problem though. One linesman (according to you, I haven't seen it) has made a mistake. He's human. Calling for consistency is the last resort of a defeated manager, because as long as there are humans making decisions as opposed to machines, there will be occasional errors. Players make far more mistakes than referees do, but nobody generally highlights them. I could probably find a mistake made by every single Albion player yesterday if I watched that game again, I'm not sure anybody is howling for "consistency" from them on that basis though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely it is the administrators of football job to make life easier for the ref, lino, players and supporters. This one slight amendment to the rules would do that and woudl stop the TV pundits questioning goals and some decisions, which must be good for the game. Incidentally I read that an analysis of offside decisions was carried out by a USA Uni and they reached the conclusion using technology that 90% of decisions either given or not given were wrong due to the inability of the human eye to watch 1 player and another striking the ball at the same time.

I am not saying that 1 lino was wrong but it is very difficult to understand why one is given and another disallowed in what appears the same circumstances. Perhaps the players in the FL show were further forward and thus offside but it wasnt obvious.

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It is very simple and worked for many any years if the ball was last played by a defender it put the player onside and my view is to change that to played by the keeper.

When was this the case? Yes it always was and still is the case that if a defender or goalkeeper plays the ball then an attacking player can't be offside. It has never been the case that if an attacking player hits the ball forward while a team mate is in an offside position and the ball takes a deflection off a defending player that the offside player is now onside.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I am not saying that 1 lino was wrong but it is very difficult to understand why one is given and another disallowed in what appears the same circumstances. Perhaps the players in the FL show were further forward and thus offside but it wasnt obvious.

Either one player was in an offside position when the original shot was taken and one wasn't or the linesman made a mistake.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
To be honest, we should eliminate the offside rule completely. It will make the game far more dynamic, and if somebody is an offside position, then mark them properly. The game is too 'safe' at the moment.

That would lead to awful long ball ugly football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I dont wear nor need glasses but making a definitive rule would remove all ambiguity. It is very simple and worked for many any years if the ball was last played by a defender it put the player onside and my view is to change that to played by the keeper.
You don't seem to understand the rule. It doesn't matter if it's a defender or a keeper, if either of them are in control of the ball, and play it, then there is no offside. If either of them is trying to block it, or if it ricochets off them, then the offside decision is made from when the ball was played by the attacking team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You don't seem to understand the rule. It doesn't matter if it's a defender or a keeper, if either of them are in control of the ball, and play it, then there is no offside. If either of them is trying to block it, or if it ricochets off them, then the offside decision is made from when the ball was played by the attacking team.

I fully realize that and am saying amend the rule to revert back to the goalkeeper or a defender if you wish plays it or even touches it last the player is then put onside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here