Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offside goals

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I get the 'interfering with play' rule, so once Kirkland has spilled it, they were 'interfering'?

They would have been "gaining an advantage" by being in that position.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and
Guidelines for Referees

“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why do football pundits and commentators use trhe term then?

Because they are largely incredibly lazy morons, who deal exclusively in clichés and cannot be bothered to do any research or even learn the sodding laws of the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't "clear daylight" a guideline to linesman basically saying if there's doubt, give the decision to the attacker?

It was a suggested 'rule of thumb' a few years back. Its no longer used - essentially because its utter bollocks.

(For example - When two players are stood side by side, maybe even holding on to each other, it can sometimes be very easy to see that the attacker is offside - even it its only half of his body, or even just an outstretched leg)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Move on a couple of frames as the ball is leaving the foot and he looks clearly off to me, not that it really matters as it wasn't given anyway, bloody shame though 3pts would have been epic.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was a suggested 'rule of thumb' a few years back. Its no longer used - essentially because its utter bollocks.

(For example - When two players are stood side by side, maybe even holding on to each other, it can sometimes be very easy to see that the attacker is offside - even it its only half of his body, or even just an outstretched leg)

It would still be logical for a linesman to use it if in doubt because of the speed of the game. To have one eye on the player passing and the other eye on the player about to receive is a difficult task unless you are Marty Feldman.

In the case of the Murphy offside the linesman probably only noticed when there was daylight and therefore gave it. I would suggest that it probably is a rule of thumb for linesmen, but not for pundits who have replays and slow motion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't "clear daylight" a guideline to linesman basically saying if there's doubt, give the decision to the attacker?

Who says the linesman had any doubt it was offside? It's Brighton fans looking at a deceptive angle that are questioning the decision. The linesman, from a better angle, with a greater understanding of the laws of the game than most of us, with experience of judging offsides, was probably quite certain it was offside. So even if they were to 'give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker' he didn't have any doubts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Talking of disallowed goals (slightly at a tangent) has anyone seen what happened at Accrington Stanley?

They are in the 18 yard box, shooting and the ref blows up for half time.

[tweet]706852144192868352[/tweet]

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
To have one eye on the player passing and the other eye on the player about to receive is a difficult task unless you are Marty Feldman.

Difficult task? It would be impossible.
He's been dead for over 30 years.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Talking of disallowed goals (slightly at a tangent) has anyone seen what happened at Accrington Stanley?

They are in the 18 yard box, shooting and the ref blows up for half time.

[tweet]706852144192868352[/tweet]

I saw this at the weekend. It was a horrific piece of refereeing. Although he didn't technically break any laws of the game, he should never blow the whistle for half time/full time when a player is in a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity is a straight red card... send the ref off!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you draw a line from the last defender's foot parallel with the 18 yard box, he looks off (considering the balls hasn't been released yet):

MURPHY.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here