Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official thread: *** Albion 3-2 Leicester *** Discuss it here

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Just back and what a performance.I know it was only a friendly but we played well and it was actually quite entertaining.

Nathan Jones hair managed to run the whole length of the pitch before a Leicester player almost stood on it.

As for the game,Leon Knight was class and an easy choice for man of the match.All 3 goals were quality and Harding's miss was unbelievable(but he played well and set up 2 goals).

Leicester were terrible it has to be said and I'm not sure Brooker touched the ball when he came on.

Starting line up was:

Roberts

Watson Cullip Hinshelwood Jones

Hart Chippy Oatway Harding

McPhee Knight

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Right...well...Whoever said Pre-Season game are boring...You should've been there tonight!
Leon Knight showed some good touches and burts of decent speed every now and again, always looking to threaten the goal which is a good sign. Good finish after great work from Harding who got the ball in our half and just ran at the defense slicing a perfect ball through for the little bloke to knock in for the second goal
Hinshlewood, what can I say? Brilliant first half, got stuck in and defender very well, got caought the wrong side sometimes but with a few games under his belt I think he could be the surprise of the season.
OGH got a good header for the 1st goal, played well overall but did'nt seem to the the ball as much as he wanted.
Their free-kick was good but the wall was about 12yards back and I dont think Roberts had it set up all that great, overall he did pretty good though I thought.
Jones....SQUIRREL - amazing scenes as early in the 2nd half this little furry creature came on by the south-east corner flag hang around for abit then bolted up the other end of the pitch before being chased off by Brooker at the south-west corner flag. I had to stand up and applaud the Jones haircut :clap:

Overall we out played them in the first half, they never really threatened our goal at all, 2nd half with a few more youngsters on we still played well and did deserve to get the winner from a decent Jones solo effort.

Leicester we're missing a few top playesr but of they get injuries and play that side then they'll be relegated in no time - as for us...play like we did in the 1st half and it'll be easy pickings for the season.

P.S. Butters got a few Pie jokes thrown at him including my now famous shout "ANYONE GOT A FIVER!?"

:clap2: :clap: :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Forgot to mention, saw these NSC'ers from a distance (thanks to their shirts):
Trotster with Beefy
Yorkie with Hubby

Would've shouted out but I did'nt wanna look a fool incase you did'nt turn around :D

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
This squirrel business must be the clinching argument for Falmer. By staying at Withdean, there is an increased risk of a squirrel-player collision.

hehe :lolol:

Made me miss their second goal to to too much laughter!

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Brilliant game for a friendly.Highly entertaining,including the squirrel agree the Leicester 2nd goal didn't matter just after the squirrel,that was amusing.
Even when we made all the changes we still played good football knocking the ball around confidently.Leon Knight and Chris Mcphee linked up very well,if we can sign Knight on full time we should do it now,if he keeps scoring and playing like tonight other clubs will be in for him.He looked Good.Sign him up,Sign him up.
The one big dissappointment was the crowd of only 3500.A lot missed a good evening and Micky Adams coming back again.
I was surprised the turn out was so low.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Great performance. Jones's winner was really good. The other two goals were class. SEAGULLS.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
CrabtreeBHA said:
Forgot to mention, saw these NSC'ers from a distance (thanks to their shirts):
Trotster with Beefy
Yorkie with Hubby

Would've shouted out but I did'nt wanna look a fool incase you did'nt turn around :D

That must of been my brief appearance in the Sportsman.

NSC'ers Fatboy/"Freddi Ljunberg" and Sheebo/"Artois" were also present.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Very encouraging peformance. McPhee looked very sharp & Knight had a great game and his goal (for which Dan Harding must share the credit) was very well taken and by no means his only chance of the game. His standing ovation was well deserved. Future Albion legend if only we could sign him or am I jumping the gun? Most important of all, we didn't miss Zamora.

Brilliant scenes with the Jones haircut which somehow managed to avoid being squashed and then out sprinted the Leicester player-were you watching Micky? :D

Shame the Leicester goalkeeper had to suffer because of a dodgy decision by the ref-it was a friendly wasn't it??

In view of Crabbers NSC-spotting, who's up for shirts with our names on? Not the new away shirt though, eh? :jester:

Oapdodge-agree with your comment about the low turn out but there are too many people who'd rather stay at home to prove a point than join in the fun. It's their loss :salute:
That salute's to them not you by the way :D

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Both Knight and Harding looked really good tonight. We now need a big, skillful striker to link up with Knight. Add AK and we will have a championship winning team again. Here's to Saturday.

:) :) :wave: :wave:

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
There must have been more than 3500 there tonight. The ground was at least 80% full, so that means at least 5 to 5,500. Theyll get away with it for a friendly.....

That squirell was bloody quick down the wing. I was laughing so much I didnt see their goal go in....

Knight is a seriously classy player. He's obviously thinking ahead and has a very keen sense of what's going on around him. His goal was very coolly taken, like BZ at his best. And he got a great reception when he was substituted. And - more to the point - he noticed that he'd got a great reception.

OGH impressed - as did McPhee. When David Lee came on, I attempted to concentrate on what he was doing. But it was almost impossible to pick him out - apart from when he was taking a corner. Either he moves so fast that he is our secret weapon or he is the waste of space that I've always suspected.

Where was Kerry Mayo?

Shame about Dan Harding's shocking miss. He'd had a good game, but ...

The Leicester goal from the freekick was - I think - a very well taken shot, rather than a bad piece of Albion defending. But no doubt it will be the subject of some in-depth post-match analysis, which can only improve how we deal with such things in the future.

Some good pictures in the programme - Charlie Oatway touching up Paul Brooker. The conflagration in the South Stand caused by Rocket Man. And something special for the Jake Robinson fan club.

And am I alone in thinking that Dan Harding and Beefy are twins who were separated at birth?

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Winny the Seagull said:
There must have been more than 3500 there tonight. The ground was at least 80% full, so that means at least 5 to 5,500. Theyll get away with it for a friendly.....

That squirell was bloody quick down the wing. I was laughing so much I didnt see their goal go in....

Loads of room down both ends of the South and North apart from the Leicester area.Big segregation between the fans in the North.
No away section 750 seats not used,and the little lego stand had 3 fans and 2 stewards to look after them in the first half.So 3500 looks about right.As dropkick said their loss,I enjoyed it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
New corner set piece which looked good. Cullip goes to near post then runs to collect it short. Passed to Cullip and back to kicker before being whipped into the near post for OGH. That worked well. :clap2:

New match programme is very snazzy. Big improvement.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Where was Wilson-Denis.

Oh and Simon Rodger is deffinatly number 8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here