Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Official Sussex Village Cricket Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Played for Rottingdean, Brighton Old Grammarians, YMCA and Brighton Maccabi before departing to Manchester full time in 1985. Would love to resurrect career after 33 years for Trafford, but will have to await a successful knee operation after two failed ones.

Might take an umpire course as love the thought of getting involved with cricket in this amazing county again.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Played for Rottingdean, Brighton Old Grammarians, YMCA and Brighton Maccabi before departing to Manchester full time in 1985. Would love to resurrect career after 33 years for Trafford, but will have to await a successful knee operation after two failed ones.

Might take an umpire course as love the thought of getting involved with cricket in this amazing county again.

Umpires go on courses? I thought in village cricket you just picked the oldest bloke with the worst eyesight available? :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I’ll get you involved K.

You’ll be able to play for us with one knee, anyway - you’d still not be the slowest. If if you did want to umpire on a Sunday, you definitely don’t need to take a course!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I played with El Pres for Brighton Maccabi (Peter Grummitt played too). I also played for the Old Grammarians - despite my being an OV. I also played for a Brighton team as a teenager but I can't remember its name, old age is a terrible thing.

I then departed for London where I played for various London journalist teams - the Private Eye team (Lord Gnome's XI) was a good one but most of my time was spent with the Fleet St Strollers who did come down to Sussex, I remember playing at West Chiltington and West Hoathly.

Since I've been back to Sussex, I've played for Lewes Priory but am creaking a bit now. I played twice this year and struggled to move, so I think that's it for me. I've got my coaching qualifications though and now enjoy teaching kids.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The cricket episode of ever decreasing circles was filmed on the hallowed square at wisborough green
Also many years of charity matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched a few of those charity matches, always a good way to spend the day!

I turned out for a few years for Pulborough. Terrible tailender batsman but being a left-handed pace bowler I came in useful in picking up wickets.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good thread,

I played Brighton league from 1984 through to the West Sussex league days in the early 2000’s on a Saturday then every Sunday on the village friendly circuit, Im sure I’ll think of a few.

One to start was I remember playing West Blatchington at Horsdean and turning up at at 1:30 to find West Blatch on the outfield doing warm up drills with cones etc, iirc they even had some bibs, the boundary flags I placed that day were all over the place as I was watching them more than the flag positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our warm ups tended to involve a can of Fosters, a fag and a few lazy throws up in the air that would be dropped by half the team :lolol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Our warm ups tended to involve a can of Fosters, a fag and a few lazy throws up in the air that would be dropped by half the team :lolol:

I don't smoke anymore so would be regarded as a bit of an ATHLETE at Village level, aside from the fact that I'm now 60 and both my knees have gone... :lolol:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Watched quite a few games at Plumpton college ground on Sundays and the standard bordered on hilarious at times , I think the friendlies were much more fun to watch .

If you were able to wait long enough for the home team to bat they had a number 10 who to this day I've no idea what style you would call it , left handed dig a trench then hit every single ball on the offside no matter where the ball was bowled , the opponents had all the fielders on one side of the pitch because nothing ever went to the other side .

To be fair the bloke could bowl though , cack handed wobblers would be my guess .

Watching cricket of any standard on a warm summers day is lovely , it's one of the things I miss after moving to the edge of the planet where friendly club cricket seems very hard to find .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watched quite a few games at Plumpton college ground on Sundays and the standard bordered on hilarious at times , I think the friendlies were much more fun to watch .

If you were able to wait long enough for the home team to bat they had a number 10 who to this day I've no idea what style you would call it , left handed dig a trench then hit every single ball on the offside no matter where the ball was bowled , the opponents had all the fielders on one side of the pitch because nothing ever went to the other side .

To be fair the bloke could bowl though , cack handed wobblers would be my guess .

Watching cricket of any standard on a warm summers day is lovely , it's one of the things I miss after moving to the edge of the planet where friendly club cricket seems very hard to find .

:lolol:

Paging [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION]

Did you ever see somone fall through a plastic chair? :whistle:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Very accurate description.

You've actually played against that person.

In the NSC Quiz.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My charity side "Ian Hart's Spare Parts" took on the Old England XI at Goring a few years ago in aid of St Barnabas House, the late David Capel scored a sublime 109 not out, before the rain came, but prior to that the England only had 10 players when we sat down for the pre match lunch, Derek Randall had punched Goring CC into satnav but ended up in Goring in Oxfordshire!

When he eventually arrived he got a great reception, as I'd recounted the story over the PA.

Unfortunately the rain came in the tea interval and the game was abandoned, but we still raised over £3,500 for the hospice.

In another charity game we took on Broadwater CC in their cricket week, match started at 11am, we batted first and at lunch were 77/8, but had two proper cricketers at the crease.

At the resumption of play someone turned up at my office without an appointment to arrange a funeral so I had to go across the road, in my absence the 9th wicket partnership put on 161 and my vice captain enjoying the free bar we'd put on forgot to declare at the agreed time.

I came back over the road, getting daggers from Broady Capt Bob Reynolds on boundary, naturally I called my lads in immediately and we set BCC 239 in 38 overs.

We eventually bowled them out in the last over, to record IHSP cricket team's first ever win something I remind Bob of to this day.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Some right splitters on this thread :D .

My cover drive was a thing of beauty , now copied by players like Joe Root and M S Dhoni , think I played about 5 league games and absolutely hated it, absolute bunch of private school cocks , Sunday friendlies were by comparison a completely different game and a great laugh even in defeat .

No idea who Frankie is banging on about :hilton:

The exploding chair [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] , will never be forgotten by anyone who witnessed it , top quality candid camera stuff .:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here