Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Official Sussex Village Cricket Thread

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Very moving story PG, I remember one game we played Barcombe, he had a relative of his who was over turn out for us, took six wickets at scored a ton, we tried to sign him permanently [emoji23]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Do any of you Southwick CC lads remember the mad Australian who I think played for you on Saturday? Skippy is what we called him, iirc use to landlord the boozer on the front road?

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
My favourite village ground, Chiddingly CC, bathed in sunshine last weekend

Attachments

• IMG-20230611-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230611-WA0000.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 39

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My son signed for Mayfield this season - lovely little ground...& it does seem little?
One of the nicer ones around IMO though, having spent the last 7 yrs travelling to most of them in the county with the lad!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A really nice ground. They also got a few bob with wealthy local which attracted some very good players

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, I was going to volunteer to play. My last game was on a rather grey and cold Lewes field, with the bar closed. If I'm retiring, I want to go out with a bang
Whatever happened to the idea of an NSC team? I'm still playing BTW, although I'm not exactly agile in the field. I'm looking to play one game, opening the batting with my son and then I'm giving up. We were due to do it last season but we fielded first and he split the webbing of his finger going for a catch and couldn't hold a bat. This season though ...

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Going to hijack this thread; anyone here is still playing and fancies a tour with their team, feel free to send a DM to me. We regularly have touring sides over here in The Netherlands and we still have a few gaps between our usual schedule.

We have 4 teams all at different levels so even if you're a bunch of oldies, we have a vets/relaxed cricket team as well as a competitive first team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Going to hijack this thread; anyone here is still playing and fancies a tour with their team, feel free to send a DM to me. We regularly have touring sides over here in The Netherlands and we still have a few gaps between our usual schedule.

We have 4 teams all at different levels so even if you're a bunch of oldies, we have a vets/relaxed cricket team as well as a competitive first team.
I play for a Vets team and we may be interested. Where in the Netherlands?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I play for a Vets team and we may be interested. Where in the Netherlands?
In Utrecht, about 25 minutes from the centre of Amsterdam. Midweek we usually play T20 and on weekends 35 overs. Our club is USV Hercules.

Plenty of other teams around too if you want to combine it with a few other teams. :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In Utrecht, about 25 minutes from the centre of Amsterdam. Midweek we usually play T20 and on weekends 35 overs. Our club is USV Hercules.

Plenty of other teams around too if you want to combine it with a few other teams. :)
I've put a message on our club's WhatsApp group - let's see what the response is

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I played for Hartfield for a number of years, but haven’t really played since I moved away.

They were a great bunch of lads.
Always a good gig is that. It's only a recreation ground but a splendid setting.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Played at the Temple Grove ground a couple of weekends ago. Very pretty, although the facilities leave a little to be desired (work ongoing to resolve that currently, though).

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Jevington teas are out of this world so glad we fielded 1st , played mid sussex lge mostly gave it up bout 10 years ago

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Meanwhile in Yorkshire :smile: :moo:

I played a match at Billingham Synthonia CC last year, from the pavilion the view was perfectly pleasant with trees, some houses etc.
It was only when I got out to the middle (we played terribly so I actually had to bat) that I turned around and saw the chemical works immediately behind the ground.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Back in the late 80's we hosted a Dutch touring team [name escapes me] - they were all top hockey players and played cricket for fun - but they were still rather good.
Captain was a chap called Peter Carpay, he could do English accents [with a Dutch twang] - his Geoff Boycott was hilarious.
One year I arranged a game of golf up at Hollingbury - about 18 of us - they rewarded me with one of their club's baggy green caps.
Forever after known as my "Dutch cap"

Happy days ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here