Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND COTTERILL

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

CHRIS HUGHTON singled out two important saves by his goalkeeper David Stockdale. He felt Albion deserved their victory, and said he was delighted to give the supporters such a thrilling climax to the game."David made two excellent saves in particular. But that was what this type of game is all about. If you are putting away the chances that we should have, then you are not reliant on your goalkeeper getting you out of jail, but that is what he is there for; that is why he works as hard as he does and we certainly needed him last night.
"I think that on the balance of play with the areas that we got into and the work that their goalkeeper had to do, and the opportunities that we created, we absolutely deserved to win. At 1-1 when you think the game is creeping away a little and the game is very open, you know you could lose, so the timing of the goal was excellent.
"It was certainly exciting for the supporters and ultimately that is what you want to try to do. You want to try and please the supporters, not only with wins, but also with entertainment value and certainly in the last two home games they have had that in abundance.
"There are so many good areas of our game right now, resilience in particular, but still if I am looking at something we can make some games more comfortable for ourselves by being more clinical.
"If I look at this game we should have been leading at half-time and that is one area that we can still improve upon. A nice comfortable win would be nice one of these days!"
Hughton admitted he hadn't seen a replay of City's penalty claim when he was quizzed by the media, adding, "In all honesty I have not seen the penalty claim. What I have heard – mostly from their camp – is that they thought that it might have been and I would say a couple of things.
"Firstly the referee was very close to it. If it is one that he has got wrong then that is part and parcel of the game. We have been in that position on a lot of occasions where there have been penalties that we perhaps should have got and have not."

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

STEVE COTTERILL felt missed chances cost his side as they went down 2-1 at the Amex last night.Cotterill told Bristol City's website, "We had enough chances to have put that game to bed, so it's really disappointing,
"Going away anywhere else and not playing against the team at the top of the table, we would've probably won the game playing like that.
"We played some good football again and had a period in the second half of about 20 minutes when we were carving them open at will, but you’ve got to take your chances when they come along.
"There is no point in playing out from the back, doing all that passing and interchanging in midfield and rolling people in if we don’t score, and that’s been a problem for us.
"We knew they were going to come out and have a bit of a flurry, but we thought we were all right and we thought we’d weathered it. But then all of a sudden Baldock pops up and scores a goal.
"Then Zamora has one chance and scores – that's why he’s spent his career in the Premier League. We've created far better chances but not taken them."
Cotterill also felt his side should have had a penalty with the scores at 1-1, telling the media he felt it was a "stonewall" spot-kick, when Luke Freeman went to ground under a challenge from Albion's German defender Uwe Huenemeier.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here