Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Casper's Delight At Call Up

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
2014/15 season tickets are now on general sale. Call 0844 327 1901 or buy online

Brighton & Hove Albion keeper Casper Ankergren says his pre-match preparations paid off after a late call-up to the starting line-up for Albion's 3-0 win over Charlton.
The Dane – who has now played against the Addicks three times this season, having featured in both under-21 games – wasn’t expecting to play, but was called on at short notice following Tomasz Kuszczak's late withdrawal due to illness.
Speaking to seagulls.co.uk, he said "I knew when we came in about 11 o'clock for pre-match there was a chance. Tomasz said he wasn't feeling great, but I actually thought he was going to play anyway. Then at midday, after some food, he said he couldn't play.
“I'm really pleased to have played. It was my turn to be on the bench so I was kind of expecting that if something happened to Tomasz that there could be a chance I would play.
"But as a substitute goalkeeper it's rare to play. I work hard in training and I keep my head down and you still need to prepare as if you're going to play - but it is different compared to an outfielder.
“Usually us goalkeepers don’t get on and play for a bit, so mostly you sit there on the bench and know that when he game starts that there is a big chance that you're not going to be playing.
“However, we still need to prepare correctly – as if you're going to play – and sometimes that's quite tough, but I do it for myself because if the chance had come along I would have been absolutely devastated if I hadn't prepared well and that affected my game.”
LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Ankergren also spoke of his relationship with the other keepers at the club, and says they were pleased to see him take his chance, on his first Championship appearance of the season.

"We've got a great relationship between the three of us and I think everyone knows that. We work well together, we help each other too and it was probably Tomasz and I that were most pleased for Peter when he played against Leicester so I'm sure they're happy for me today.
"Obviously we're pleased with the result but we know we've still got a few games left and it'll be difficult, but if we play like we have been then I'm sure we can get the results we want."
Meanwhile Ankergren says he would love to extend his four-year stay at the Albion beyond the end of his existing contract, which ends this summer.
“Of course I would like to stay. I'm happy here and my family is happy here but I haven't heard anything yet, so I will just have to wait and see.”
UPCOMING HOME FIXTURES
Albion v Blackpool:
Monday 21st April, kick-off 3.00pm

Albion v Yeovil Town:
Friday 25th April, kick-off 7.45pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here