Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
In the market for some new running shoes - mainly road, some trail, and over pronator - but budget is incredibly tight. Historically I’ve been an ASICS fan boy always picking up the previous years top of the range models for £70-80 but can’t stretch that far now so needs to be around the £50 mark which I know is a tough ask for proper quality.

I typically run 25-30km a week so it has to be more than an entry level. Anyone got any tips or voucher codes etc?!

If you happen to be size 11, I've got a pair of Hoka Clifton 7's that I've put about 15 miles and just didn't work for me. Happy to stick them in the post.

D

Deleted member 2719

OK. this doesn't count in any way, shape or form. But just got back from a 5k in 20.57 (80.81%AG). This was entirely completed downwind (down-gale) and is clearly not one for the NSC Hall of Fame.

But at 66, with a dodgy knee and other bits of me falling apart, I thought it was getting towards last chance saloon time. If anyone fancies a phoney PB, head down to Worthing prom over the next couple of days..............

Wow, that's great running, I might go to Commonwealth Bay after covid and see what I can do. :)

I did do my furthest run for 30+ years this morning, it wasn't preplanned I just felt the longer I am running the less I will think about the Saints match!

I got this little shiny badge too. Running is so rewarding:lolol:

Attachments

• New badge.PNG
    New badge.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 91

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Horrible run today. Happens to all of us. Started out with a 6 miler planned, went off too fast and then amended plan to 5 miles. Still couldn't deliver and ran up the white flag at 4 miles. Knee played up from my fall the other day. Managed a 30:17 which wasn't too bad in the circumstances.
Mustn't grumble!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Horrible run today. Happens to all of us. Started out with a 6 miler planned, went off too fast and then amended plan to 5 miles. Still couldn't deliver and ran up the white flag at 4 miles. Knee played up from my fall the other day. Managed a 30:17 which wasn't too bad in the circumstances.
Mustn't grumble!

You’re throttle is jammed on full speed!
Had a similar nasty run Sunday morning. Aiming at 8m@9” pace but the whole effort was too much for a slow run. Jacked it in at 7.5 miles.
Following this pace calculator for my runs now. https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a761676/rws-training-pace-calculator/ And using mile time for pacing. 10-15% of weekly mileage at above Tempo. Having a 2 day rest though as I’m not used to training fast.

F95C121E-012F-42F4-9AB9-29A5279D3001.png

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I took up running in February last year and it was a godsend through various lockdowns.
Went out generally three times a week and built up to doing 15-25k a week. Lost some weight and the fitness came on no end.
Have struggled a bit during the winter and have sometimes only gone out once or twice a week.
Hoping to kick on now and do the Worthing 10k in June (fingers crossed).
The way I look at it: if I'm out running, I'm winning. Regardless of the time or the distance, or which joints complain the most.
Keep on running, people - even if you're not Steve Winwood (a little Spencer Davis Group reference for the oldsters there :))

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I took up running in February last year and it was a godsend through various lockdowns.
Went out generally three times a week and built up to doing 15-25k a week. Lost some weight and the fitness came on no end.
Have struggled a bit during the winter and have sometimes only gone out once or twice a week.
The way I look at it: if I'm out running, I'm winning. Regardless of the time or the distance, or which joints complain the most.
Keep on running, people - even if you're not Steve Winwood (a little Spencer Davis Group reference for the oldsters there :))

Yep running is very beneficial. The two old git posters from the posts before yours also hope that 10k is on. It’s a NSC AG Challenge! Not sure I’ll be around for the second date in October (holiday not dead).

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Love this! >>> "if I'm out running, I'm winning". :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep running is very beneficial. The two old git posters from the posts before yours also hope that 10k is on. It’s a NSC AG Challenge! Not sure I’ll be around for the second date in October (holiday not dead).

:lolol: at the not being dead comment.

Speaking of being around, did you see that Weakest Link is moving? Or there will be two (covid permitting) – I can't tell: https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

Obviously dates are TBC but, after Moyleman, it's the event I'm most looking forward to doing again...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anybody got any experience of the Saucony Endorphin Speed? Really like their shoes (their Mad River trail show is great) and was going to go for the Shift as I’m no speed merchant but the Run Tester guys suggest that the shift is redundant as the Speed is such a good shoe and can do it all.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Anybody got any experience of the Saucony Endorphin Speed? Really like their shoes (their Mad River trail show is great) and was going to go for the Shift as I’m no speed merchant but the Run Tester guys suggest that the shift is redundant as the Speed is such a good shoe and can do it all.

Hey Chappers, yes I'm a big fan of the Saucony Endorphin Speed. They are a dream of a ride and I take them out for most of my long run work when I want the effort to be at a decent clip and I also use them sometimes for intervals. I think I've done about 250 miles in them so far and they still feel as good as new with no wear & tear or durability issues.

They have a nylon plate in them which is much more subtle than the carbon plated shoes, but as they still have a plate I don't use them as an every day shoe. They get a big thumbs up from me.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hey Chappers, yes I'm a big fan of the Saucony Endorphin Speed. They are a dream of a ride and I take them out for most of my long run work when I want the effort to be at a decent clip and I also use them sometimes for intervals. I think I've done about 250 miles in them so far and they still feel as good as new with no wear & tear or durability issues.

They have a nylon plate in them which is much more subtle than the carbon plated shoes, but as they still have a plate I don't use them as an every day shoe. They get a big thumbs up from me.
I have the endorphin Pro (carbon plate) that I bought for race days (before getting injured!) and when I've used them they felt fantastic.

I hate the NB 1080v10s that I've tried out as my current workhorse and was looking to switch to endorphin shift or speed.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
:lolol: at the not being dead comment.

Speaking of being around, did you see that Weakest Link is moving? Or there will be two (covid permitting) – I can't tell: https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

Obviously dates are TBC but, after Moyleman, it's the event I'm most looking forward to doing again...

Hopefully they retain the Blackrock location too. It’s such a quirky course, which in part made the event a real highlight of the running calendar.

The lagoon is flat but I’m not sure it will be as fun.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hopefully they retain the Blackrock location too. It’s such a quirky course, which in part made the event a real highlight of the running calendar.

The lagoon is flat but I’m not sure it will be as fun.

Shit pub too. I’ll have to bring a keg of Harvey’s. 🍻

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My recovery from a torn soleus continues. I started the programme by slowly running for 30 seconds and walking for 4.5 minutes. I have been increasing the running and reducing the walking over the last three weeks. Tomorrow, I'll be gently running for 3.5 minutes with 1.5 minutes of walking for a 50 minute period. A cumulative running time of 35 minutes. Hopefully, by increasing the running and reducing the walking over the next two weeks, I'll be able to run for a good 45 minutes non-stop, just in time for when we start playing football again. Oh to be able to run again, I can't tell you how wonderful it is - well, most of you on here will know. It took two months before the nagging pain went and I was really beginning to think I'd never run again. I hope I'm not increasing the running too quick? I am taking it at a very easy pace though.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My recovery from a torn soleus continues. I started the programme by slowly running for 30 seconds and walking for 4.5 minutes. I have been increasing the running and reducing the walking over the last three weeks. Tomorrow, I'll be gently running for 3.5 minutes with 1.5 minutes of walking for a 50 minute period. A cumulative running time of 35 minutes. Hopefully, by increasing the running and reducing the walking over the next two weeks, I'll be able to run for a good 45 minutes non-stop, just in time for when we start playing football again. Oh to be able to run again, I can't tell you how wonderful it is - well, most of you on here will know. It took two months before the nagging pain went and I was really beginning to think I'd never run again. I hope I'm not increasing the running too quick? I am taking it at a very easy pace though.

Well done. That's great discipline.

I'd be tempted to suggest that it might be the resumption of football (stop-start-accelerate etc) that might poses the greater threat to full recovery. As someone of the same vintage, I simply couldn't imagine a game of footie. I'm impressed.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Well done. That's great discipline.

I'd be tempted to suggest that it might be the resumption of football (stop-start-accelerate etc) that might poses the greater threat to full recovery. As someone of the same vintage, I simply couldn't imagine a game of footie. I'm impressed.

Thanks. The plan is to go to 4.5 minutes running, 0.5 minutes walking for 50 minutes on Friday. Then on Monday, 30 minutes continuous running, albeit gently. Wednesday 35 minutes and Friday 40 minutes. I'll report my progress next week.
If I'd have taken my leg in to the Repair Shop for the experts to restore, when I picked it up, you couldn't see the join and I was in tears about the great work they'd done on it! Here's hoping I don't bugger it up again soon!!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A reasonable 4 miles today: 29:43 (74.41% AG).

Yesterday I tried a half marathon - on the rowing machine. This was a 1.45 HM and I only wish I could still run one in that time. As sitting on one of theses buggers for that length of time is beyond excruciating, I broke it up into 7 x 3k. I wish one could run an HM in the same format. (BTW 1.45 is pretty slow for a HM on the Concept 2 and ,yes, I know that for some in these parts it would be a pretty slow run too.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A reasonable 4 miles today: 29:43 (74.41% AG).

Yesterday I tried a half marathon - on the rowing machine. This was a 1.45 HM and I only wish I could still run one in that time. As sitting on one of theses buggers for that length of time is beyond excruciating, I broke it up into 7 x 3k. I wish one could run an HM in the same format. (BTW 1.45 is pretty slow for a HM on the Concept 2 and ,yes, I know that for some in these parts it would be a pretty slow run too.)

Good to see you’re having fun mixing up the training. I also ran 4 miles but in 1 mile intervals with 2” recovery. Stamina needs working on, so went out trying to feel for the tempo pace that is on the edge of aerobic/anaerobic effort. Clocked 7:16, 7:16, 7:14, 7:14. Not sure I could run a good 5k yet. Will work on weekly extension of interval distance and total distance over the months before the potential Worthing 10k showdown.

Another magic mile pencilled in for the end of the month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here