Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The carbon x is interesting.....very, very harsh ride compared to the Clifton but you can feel the propulsion. At my age/weight/speed I wouldn’t want to wear them for more than about 10k but as a parkrun shoe I can see the benefits. On the plus side, they are plenty wide enough.

I’ve worn the Carbon X for my long runs up to 20 miles and I’d wear them for a marathon too, given the chance.

Wore the Hoka Carbon Rockets for my 5k today. The lightest and apparently quickest Hoka shoe.

No doubting it’s a great shoe but everyone I’m running with has gone the way of Nike now with their expensive range and in fairness they are posting times like never before. For the first time I’m tempted to get in on the act.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve worn the Carbon X for my long runs up to 20 miles and I’d wear them for a marathon too, given the chance.

Wore the Hoka Carbon Rockets for my 5k today. The lightest and apparently quickest Hoka shoe.

No doubting it’s a great shoe but everyone I’m running with has gone the way of Nike now with their expensive range and in fairness they are posting times like never before. For the first time I’m tempted to get in on the act.

#metoo

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Big changes to the table for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] [MENTION=18099]ForestRowSeagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]

Anyone left out let me know.........

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:05 75.76% 10:45 72.19%
ForestRowSeagull 18:04 71.04%
Indurain's Lungs 18:57 72:03% 11:15 68.97%
Badger 18:58 70.3%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Jimmy Grimble 21:48
Seagull Si 23:22 60.21%
Bob! 23:49 67.94%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.47% 5:20.6
Forest Row 72.04% 5:09
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26
Indurain's Lungs 65.79% 5:58

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Thanks edited in above.

Some twit seems to have used different AG calculators for the virtual table. He's happy to resign if someone else wants to step in..............
It only makes a small error for some of you and I'll leave it as it is as it's only a lockdown virtual table.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I feel like I've been absent from this thread for too long...

I figured it was about time I resumed Brighton Marathon training, so I drew up my revised plan tonight. The good news is that I've already missed a couple of 20 mile runs. The bad news is that I start up with 6x800m intervals. Boo!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I feel like I've been absent from this thread for too long...

I figured it was about time I resumed Brighton Marathon training, so I drew up my revised plan tonight. The holy news is that I've already missed a couple of 20 mile runs. The bad news is that I start up with 6x800m intervals. Boo!

No chance it will happen, surely? Chicago was cancelled today.

I've also been absent - I've managed to run through another knee injury *touches wood*, but I had a strange week, last week.

At the beginning of the week I was really struggling and did a few short slow runs, but even at pedestrian pace, I found ti hard. My running mojo returned at the end of the week though, with a glorious trail run on Saturday and then 10 miles in the sun on Sunday afternoon.

It felt like I'd not really run very much and I'd have guessed at 30-35 miles but I actually covered 43.5 which surprised me.

All being well I'll go through 1,000 miles for the year in a few days, making this my running-est year ever.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Longer runs starting to really help with my speed. 23:00 Hove Park park run this morning, which is a a big PB, and I don't think I really hit top gear. Happy with that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Think I'm comfortably last out of this run streak trio, I'll hit three figures on Thursday, will provide a stato update then … :thumbsup:

No, you're not – I'm in the 60s (my last non-running day was 29th May).

Surprised myself again this morning but running up the river Adur at a reasonable pace (but it was muddy, which slowed me down, plus a bit of SoshDist action), but I got a couple of Strava segment PRs. Didn't feel like I was really pushing it, which means my running is getting easier. I'm guessing it's a combination of running regularly and dropping weight, but I'm certainly not complaining. I'm keen to have another crack at my 5k time soon, just to lay down a benchmark time or where I'm at over the shorter, faster stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Do people really not **** their knees up by running every day? Are some of those days in the streak under 3km?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do people really not **** their knees up by running every day? Are some of those days in the streak under 3km?

I have ****ed knees anyway!

A number of the runstreakers I know do a "rest day mile" to keep things ticking over. I've just scanned down my Strava log and I think I've done that twice - once on February 5th, just after I started the streak, and once on June 15th. That was the day my knee was completely shot - I'd run 16.7 miles two days before. I should have ended the streak at that point, and in fact I had spent the day thinking I'd done just that, but I went out onto the Downs at 9:34pm and hobbled a 10-minute mile. My knee slowly improved in the following days with me just doing short slow runs (that week went 1.05 miles - 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 6.0, 6.2 and 5.1).

Over the 165 days, I've covered 946 miles of running, making for an average of 5.7 miles per day. If I factor in dog walking too, I'm averaging 11.9 miles per day this year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have ****ed knees anyway!

A number of the runstreakers I know do a "rest day mile" to keep things ticking over. I've just scanned down my Strava log and I think I've done that twice - once on February 5th, just after I started the streak, and once on June 15th. That was the day my knee was completely shot - I'd run 16.7 miles two days before. I should have ended the streak at that point, and in fact I had spent the day thinking I'd done just that, but I went out onto the Downs at 9:34pm and hobbled a 10-minute mile. My knee slowly improved in the following days with me just doing short slow runs (that week went 1.05 miles - 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 6.0, 6.2 and 5.1).

Over the 165 days, I've covered 946 miles of running, making for an average of 5.7 miles per day. If I factor in dog walking too, I'm averaging 11.9 miles per day this year.

Absolutely fantastic - fair play.

For reference, Land's End to John O'Groats is 837 miles.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely fantastic - fair play.

I need to put the miles in given my cider and crisp consumption! Last week...

Running: 43.5 miles
Walking: 37.7 miles
Average steps per day: 20,595

Weight change: +2 pounds

It's almost exactly a year since I was able to start running again, and I'd lost three stone in the preceding 7 months with no running at all.

In the last year, with loads of running, my weight has stayed pretty much the same. It fluctuates by a few pounds here and there, but remains broadly the same.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm probably going to tempt fate here, but I've never really suffered with injuries in nearly 20 years of running – predominantly on tarmac in the early years. These days I tend to stick to softer ground where I can – trails are more fun anyway – and you can feel the difference, even over shorter distances, compared with road running. I've became a bit of a slave to my step counter and realised that I probably wouldn't make it on some days without a run, but it's now just part of my daily routine. And no, I rarely go under 3km on a run...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm probably going to tempt fate here, but I've never really suffered with injuries in nearly 20 years of running – predominantly on tarmac in the early years. These days I tend to stick to softer ground where I can – trails are more fun anyway – and you can feel the difference, even over shorter distances, compared with road running. I've became a bit of a slave to my step counter and realised that I probably wouldn't make it on some days without a run, but it's now just part of my daily routine. And no, I rarely go under 3km on a run...

My knees were a bit ****ed BEFORE I started running - often painful (I was significantly overweight, and played cricket and squash, neither of which are helpful). Have run c1500 miles a year minimum (sometimes more) for the last 20 years or so and not had any knee issues at all (poss more to do with losing 6 stone than running a lot of course). Since starting running I have always taken a high strength glucosamine sulphate supplemement - maybe all in the mind but I do think it helps. Def agree re trails - so many benefits over road running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here